Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Purdue Crew

Question Thinking about buying used 2008 8315SS

Hello,

We are about ready to make an offer on a used 2008 Rockwood 8315SS. In reading some of the posts on the forum, we're a little nervous about the delaminating/glue issue which created bubbles.

1. Any recommendations on how to verify this is not an issue with the one we would like to make an offer on?

2. What are other warning signs of leak problems when looking at the roof?

3. Is it reasonable to have the dealer show us that all the things on board operate prior to leaving lot, including sinks, toilet, holding tanks don't leak, etc.?

Also, any other tips for newbies who know pretty much next to nothing, other than what friends and some posts on the forum have warned us about?

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to this forum and becoming part of the Rockwood Travel Trailer family!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #2

we bought an 8315SS new in 2008 and after 2 years we have no signs of any problem with either the side laminate or the roof. unless there are signs of bubbles on the sidewall i wouldn't be too concerned at this point. there isn;t any way too foresee if you are going to have any problems in the future. make a thorough examination of the interior.use a flashlight and look for signs of any leaking particularly in all the corners of the ceiling. signs of leaking would be staining or the vinyl peeling off of the roof/wall panels and the trim.
make sure you understand all the day to day proceedures such as emptying and treating the waste tanks..(this model has 3 tanks )...water heater operation...what switch operates what and make sure the slideout operates properly.
the one important thing is the maintainance of the vinyl roof material.it should be cleaned regularly,at least once a year. i use murphys oil soap and water and a brush .after cleaning you should inspect all the sealing around all the vents and the skylight.
if you make the decision to buy this trailer,i'm sure you will enjoy it. we love ours. with the exception of replacing the converter/charger,(warranty) its been a trouble free 2 years.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

I have a 8313ss and I have some delam problems. I can suggest a few things to look for. I would look on the ceiling for any sign of leakage or moisture. Look for discoloring around skylight, vents, a/c unit, etc. Also, I strongly suggest that you inspect the seams on the roof. Look for any gaps, holes, cracking or missing caulking at the seams, vents, antenna, etc. You also will want to inspect the interior walls for any bulging areas.

In my case, the bubbles on the exterior were not hard at all to find. I suggest you look all around the outside with the slides both extended and retracted.

Chances are that if everything is well sealed to should be fine.

Best of luck with your new rig.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Check the interior walls as well, look for small bubbles that are under the wall paper mainly the very back wall and the front wall near and around windows. If you can get up on the roof and look around the sky lites and around vents.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #5

Also check around the slide area. My dealer told me this is where most of the delamination problems are found.

Outside, look down the sides of the trailer, especially towards the top. Look for a wavey appearence. If you find any and it flexes when you push on it, it's probably delamination.

Inside, feel the wall to see if there is any swelling. When the styrofoam insulation gets wet, it will swell. It may be hard to see, but you can feel it when you run your hand over the wall. You may find some small hard bumps, sort of like a rash. This is also a sign of a leak in the walls. Check around the doors as well.

Hopefully everything will check out. If it does, I think you'll really enjoy this trailer. Great, roomy floorplan. The bedroom is on the small side, but I'm only in there at night so it's no big deal to me. The bathroom is the full width of the trailer, so lots of room with storage and a nice large shower.

It does have a heavy tongue weight, so be sure to get a proper hitch (1,200 lb bars). I recommend the Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer.

Make sure the dealer does a complete PDI with you. Operate all systems, check the dump valves, check under the sinks for leaks, run the water heater (gas & electric), AC and heater if possible. There's quite a bit to go through and a good inspection will take a couple of hours so you may want to video tape it.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #6

grhodes50, is the rash you are talking about? I have the rash and it is located on the back wall, so look for this as I explained a few post back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bubbles under wall paper.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	2922  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
grhodes50, is the rash you are talking about? I have the rash and it is located on the back wall, so look for this as I explained a few post back.
Good pic! That's what I'm talking about. The few places I had wasn't quite that bad, but I did point them out to my dealer and they confirmed it was from the styrofoam in the walls getting wet.

That's when they pointed out the swelling above and around the slide and doors. I hadn't even noticed the swelling until they pointed it out to me. It was one of those things when you finally notice you wonder, how did I miss that?

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Purdue Crew

Thank you so much for all your feedback and advice!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #9

You're welcome and good luck. I hope the trailer is in good shape and you and your family enjoy it for many years.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #10

And if you buy it take some pic and post them. Hope all works out.

Tags
questions, rockwood, newbie