Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Question Thinking about purchasing a 2012 2608SS

Does anyone have this model and can you tell me the pro's and con's and any problems you've had? Thanks in advance, first time poster in here but a long time rv'er!
justbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

We picked up a 1012 2608ss in mid August. We have only used it one weekend. We had no problems with the trailer. We picked it because of the front kitchen and the resulting (relatively) large living space. In addition, the storage space has actually surprised my wife, since we picked this model from the brochure floorplan. The only addition we made to the trailer was a MaxxFan Deluxe in the bedroom because my wife is too short to reach the ceiling and the remote on the fan is very useful for her. We have yet to try the air bed in the sofa, hope it works as advertised. After one use, we are very happy with our choice.
Adolphbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Whoops, that should be a 2012 2608ss. You also asked for cons. The only things we do not like are not flaws, just things we wish were different.
The pass-tru storage is not a constant width what with the water filter, furnace and water heater being located in that area. Don't like the water heater electric switch being outside the trailer. Have only a vague idea where the water heater by-pass valve might be located; have to find that before winterizing. Don't like the front grey water dump being located under the slide; I am 67 and not quite as flexible as I once was. Wish it had heated holding tanks (just in case). The stabilizers work OK but still wobble quite a bit when moving around in the trailer (my first travel trailer, so I may have unreasonable expectations).
Additional pros: Front storage is good; holds all my blocking and chocking gear, milk crate with coffee pot and other household stuff, trash can (old cat litter bucket), and my Mini Green Egg and its stuff. Front counter is great for putting stuff on. Love the electric hitch jack (my shoulders do not like a lot of cranking). The three step fold out steps make it easy getting in and out. The large front window is good for natural lighting.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

There isn't a switch on the inside for the electric water heater? That's odd! The one thing the wife wanted was space, and the living room area in this model caught her eye. I wish there was a chair in the LR instead of that wardrobe. The storage area from outside under the kitchen looks huge and can store a lot of stuff in there. We are choosing this model over the V-nose because of weight, but man do those things have a lot of room. I tow with a ½ ton and although it's doable, I prefer to edge on the side of caution.

Is there a laundry chute in the bedroom? I see a panel on the left side of the bed in the brochures. We haven't stepped foot in this model but did see one similar is why I'm asking the questions. We're supposed to go down Monday and look at one that is coming in for service, if the current owners will allow us to look. Thanks for the input and if you can think of anything else please let me know.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphbell View Post
The pass-tru storage is not a constant width what with the water filter, furnace and water heater being located in that area.

Additional pros: Front storage is good; holds all my blocking and chocking gear, milk crate with coffee pot and other household stuff, trash can (old cat litter bucket), and my Mini Green Egg and its stuff.
I understand how it would be easier & make more sense but coming from someone with tiny bay doors I would be happy to have a larger door even if only one side. My doors are so small that the sewer hose support device will not fit through at any angle. Just need another 1/2 inche or so...

I have to ask what is a Mini Green Egg and stuff?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Justbrian,
There is a switch inside to run water heater on gas, but the switch for electric is outside on the water heater. It really isn't a problem to switch it on. Yes the storage under the sink is large; that is where I have stuff for blocking, chocking, etc.; it is also easily accessible from inside.

The Mini Green Egg is the smallest version of the Big Green Egg. These are ceramic cooker/grills/smokers that are shaped like an egg. The Mini has a 9 1/2 inch grilling area which is big enough for two people. The stuff is charcoal (not briquets), starter sticks, two tops for adjusting air flow, ash tool, grill lifter, grill brush etc. Just google Big Green Egg. My small one fits nicely in a milk crate, and slips in the front storage area under the sink.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #7

Sorry, forgot to say there is no laundry chute. Have to use bags or other container.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

Adolph, I'm not sure you know about these but this may be your solution for having to crawl under the slide for your front grey water problem. Look down towards the bottom of the page and you will see a couple sewer y's. GO-RV.com - RV On-line Catalog
Old 09-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

I picked up my 2012 2608SS in April.
We have 35 nights in it so far this season and are very happy with it. This is our 3rd front kitchen layout and the best. I made some modifications that work well for our tastes: I divided the front storage area in two by building a wall front to back, store blocks, dump tools etc accessable from outside assess. Pots, pans, coffee pot from inside cabinet door and added an inside shelf to the inside storage area. I added an additional 15 amp circuit with GFI to just below the sink since there is only one GFI circuit in the trailer and we need coffee pot, toaster, and frying pan for some breakfasts and was getting nuisance trips. At the same place I added a lighted switch which controls the water heater, don't have to into the water heater compartment to turn it on. I added shelves in the bedroom wardrobe cabinets instead of using hangers which would fall off anyway. Also removed the bedroom tv shelf and added a swivel flat screen tv mount (used a bello brand mount that allow easy removal of the TV). We worked a deal when we ordered to get the serta mattress (normally only available in the signature series) instead of the standard, well worth the effort, very comforable mattress.

Issues/cons we have found: styrofoam "snowball" from the roof insulation got into the water lines during trailer construction and clogged up the faucets. I understand this has been common, Both myself and my sister whom has a 2011 2608SS had this issue. Once the lines are clear no more issues. FR did put low quality stablizer jacks on this trailer which allows for alot of movement. My sister is using the BAL "between the tire" chocks and reports less movement, haven't tried that yet.

I have no issue with the dual sewer valves but my previous trailers were the same so I have learned to position the trailer so that I am in reach from both when dumping. Do the rear valve first then the galley valve.
camper1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

so let me ask this, are both grey water tanks the same size or one larger than the other. I don't trust what brochures say and am curious. I've heard a lot about the shower tank filling up quickly and we do a lot of dry camping and I'm hoping they are both the same size or shower tank bigger....NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #11

they are both 37 gallons.
camper1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #12

Do you have any pics of your mods? I would love to see them if you do.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #13

Thanks on the tanks...I was sure hoping that was the case.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #14

For what it's worth....we visited the Rockwood factory in August and saw the 2608S and really liked it. We were talking with the manager that does the floorplans for the trailers and I told him I really like the 2608S, but really hate to give up the huge closet we have in our 2605S. He told me (and showed me where it would be) that a wardrobe slide will be added to the 2608S sometime this fall, so we're waiting for the trailer with the wardrobe slide before we buy. The Rockwood dealers are to be told about this new feature at their meeting either this month or October. New brochures coming out soon also.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #15

Thanks for the heads up Mama, I will definitely be asking the dealer about this. As stated above we haven't actually seen this model yet, but a wardrobe would be a great addition to the floor plan for sure.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphbell
Justbrian,
There is a switch inside to run water heater on gas, but the switch for electric is outside on the water heater. It really isn't a problem to switch it on. Yes the storage under the sink is large; that is where I have stuff for blocking, chocking, etc.; it is also easily accessible from inside.

The Mini Green Egg is the smallest version of the Big Green Egg. These are ceramic cooker/grills/smokers that are shaped like an egg. The Mini has a 9 1/2 inch grilling area which is big enough for two people. The stuff is charcoal (not briquets), starter sticks, two tops for adjusting air flow, ash tool, grill lifter, grill brush etc. Just google Big Green Egg. My small one fits nicely in a milk crate, and slips in the front storage area under the sink.
I have the same model. Offline date was late July and there is switch on the water heater that you can turn on and it allows the water heater to run off of electric when available and gas when no electric is available. Then I have a switch at the control panel that I can turn the water heater on and off. And it has a blue lite next to switch to let me know if it is working on electric or gas
walterw11 is offline   Reply With Quote