Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Thoughts and questions on 2509s

We had our first outing at a local full hookup KOA site Mother's day weekend with our new Mini Lite 2509S. We figured out everything, I think. Trouble with cable hookup at first, but figured it out. We tried the antenna, DVD, local radio, and Bluetooth music too. Everything works fine.

I think we did the sewer hookup right. [emoji16] Everything seemed to flush in the drain. We used the shower (nice and hot for enough time) and all 3 sinks. We used the A/C and heater as well. Lots of little styrofoam floating out of A/C vents. ??

We liked the Murphy bed, popout foot stools on sofa, u-shaped dinette. My boys (ages 15 and 11) like their own space in the bunk beds. I used the oven (lights very easy), the bottoms burn on the fries and cinnamon rolls a little so I saw the posts about using a pizza stone so I'll try that. I used the indoor stove, outdoor stove, and grill. We also used the awning and put the TV outside. We put up the extended counter. It's nice extra space but kind of a pain to get it out to put on. So I think we've used everything.

I think we have figured out where to store our things. The boys don't like using their sleeping bags on the bunks. Husband and I did too, but I think we'll get different bedding. I put on sheets. I don't like that bedspread on the Murphy bed. The mattress is okay for now. Oh we didn't try the heated mattress yet. The boys want little fans at their beds. Anyone make a mod for that? We put a little basket on command hooks and kiddo can watch a movie on the tablet. I am short so the outside kitchen is more comfortable with a stool. [emoji4]

I think husband is still tweaking the equalizer hitch but hopefully we are ready for a two hour drive this weekend to another campsite with full hookups.

Overall we are pleased so far. Made a list of little things we forgot, but looking forward to playing again.

Any tips from you all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connor_outside.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	172953   Click image for larger version

Name:	connor_bunkbed.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	172954   Click image for larger version

Name:	me_outsidekitchen.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	172955   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside_tv.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	172956   Click image for larger version

Name:	oven_cinnamonrolls.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	172957  

Name:	extended_counter.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	172958   Click image for larger version

Name:	chilin_camper.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	172959  
Old 05-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #2

Sounds like a successful first outing. We had our first outing also this past weekend with our new 2906ws with great success. The pictures you posted are not displaying.
Locky
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Sounds like a successful first outing. We had our first outing also this past weekend with our new 2906ws with great success. The pictures you posted are not displaying.
Locky
I made an edit to my original post and tried again with the pictures?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
I made an edit to my original post and tried again with the pictures?
They look great. I had to chuckle about the step stool in order to use the outside kitchen. On ours we have a mount you hook a table to and then set your grill on it. Well if you look at the bracket (white arrow) for the table and imagine a grill on it then you would be flipping burgers at eye level lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	740.9 KB
ID:	173001  
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
They look great. I had to chuckle about the step stool in order to use the outside kitchen. On ours we have a mount you hook a table to and then set your grill on it. Well if you look at the bracket (white arrow) for the table and imagine a grill on it then you would be flipping burgers at eye level lol.
Didn't your TT come with an RVQ grill that slides onto the mount?

I thought all Rockwoods came with the table and RVQ standard.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 AM   #6

Rockfordroo, I will have to check that out. I have not taken the grill out of the box. I just assumed it sat on top of the table LOL. I bought a Blackstone 22in griddle that we use.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Didn't your TT come with an RVQ grill that slides onto the mount?

I thought all Rockwoods came with the table and RVQ standard.

rockford, Rockwoods have equipped with Sidekick grills since at least 2007, as far as I know.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #8

Kristie, in the kids bunk are is that like a milk crate secured to the wall? If so you might be able to find a small fan at Walmart and ziptie it to the crate.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #9

Fun to hear how you're using all the stuff - good move to try out so much on the first outing! Not sure if the spacing and configuration are the same with your Murphy bed, but there's a 2" gap between the rear sofa frame and the back wall that works perfectly for us to store our folded grilling table. I use that to clip on our laundry bag which works great. The other thing I store back there is a Coleman Pack-Away 4-in-1 folding table set that we've loved. Very flexible and easy to set up and take down. Fits perfectly in that slot.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
I think we did the sewer hookup right. [emoji16] Everything seemed to flush in the drain.
Hmm. Maybe you already know what I am going to say. If not, this will be helpful.

When you have a sewer hookup, you can connect the hose, but you should not open the drain valves until they are full or you are ready to leave. If you do, the solid waste in the black (toilet) tank will remain and the liquid will drain off, leaving you with a mass you can't get rid of.

Best practice is:
  • Leave both drains closed until one tank is full or you are ready to leave.
  • Drain black (toilet) tank.
  • Close black tank drain.
  • Drain gray (sinks and shower) tank--this flushes the drain hose clean.
  • Close gray tank drain.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #11

Just returned from a shakedown local trip in our new 2019 2509S as well. Couple of minor issues, but overall a great experience. We did have to replace the screws that fasten the striker plate for the entry door; can't believe they only used #8, 1/4" sheet metal screws! Had to go with #10, 1/2" which should hold well.

The Furrion TV controls don't seem to work. Have to press very hard on the remote, and the ones on the TV hardly work at all. But we'll sort it out.

Storage: no doubt we'll be playing with where to keep everything for a while yet. But it looks like there's plenty of room for everything we need.

Oh, be sure the trailer's level, or at least a shade low in the front before you try to retract the slide. I notice it will catch on the trim next to the pantry as it moves in - took a little chunk out of the trim at the top corner on ours.

Mickey

2019 Mini Lite 2509S (SOLD)
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4/Tow Pkg. (SOLD)
Moved on to Jayco Precept motorhome and Jeep Wrangler toad
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #12

Congrats on you new RV.

Looking at your picture, I think I see at least two other positions you can move the oven rack up and away from the bottom. This would help prevent scorching and provide more even heat circulation around the cake pan.

I would also check oven temp accuracy with a cheap oven thermometer. It may just need to be adjusted.

2017 XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS Toy Hauler
2013 Silverado 2500HD, Ext. Cab, 6.0L, 4x4
Harleys in the garage & our Lab in the backseat... Abby, aka – Abbygator Slobber Nasty
This is True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #13

Re: the fans- we bought small USB rechargeable fans off Amazon and they are small & light enough that a piece of double stick velcro tape holds them up. I stuck them to the 'roof' of each bunk in the corner. I think they were $8 or so each. They last all night and can be recharged quickly with an included USB cable.

We have two teenage boys and they didn't like their bags on the bunks either. Their bags go into the big, deep storage unit to the right of the dinette (when you're looking inside from the door). Each kid gets a shelf, and there's still plenty of room for towels, linens, etc..

If you haven't cut 3 to 4 inches off the bottom of your bunk ladder, think about doing that mod. DH cut about 4 inches off of ours and now you can leave the ladder on all the time and still be able to open the bathroom door. We also put an extra cleat (1"x2" piece of wood) on the edge of the top bunk so the ladder had a stronger place to connect.

The pizza stone or cheap saltillo tile will help to even out the hot spot in your oven. Our 89 cent saltillo tile cracked on a rough road but it still works fine (I just wrapped the pieces in foil). Definitely makes the oven work better! No more burnt on the bottom cinnamon rolls!

Enjoy!
Moro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #14

Wow the gas line for your grill is about 2ft longer than the one that came on my 2509s. I’ll look into that ladder trick. We don’t use since it’s in the way of the door. My wife puts sheets and blankets on all the beds. She didn’t like the comforter that came with the trailer either.

My wife bought some small plastic bins that fit underneath a foldable table. We place the table under the awning. We keep our coffee pot and toaster oven outside. In the plastic bids we store our coffee, cups, paper plates, plastic silverware, salt, pepper, paper towels, grilling items, etc. We have two of these but she didn’t install the wheels.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...be&athena=true
Den69RS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #15

We picked up our 2019 2509s in the middle of May, and went out on weekend trips the last 2 weekends. Had to replace the fridge circuit board right after we picked it up, but Neimeyer RV in Albertville, MN did a great job of fixing that issue for us.

DW and I absolutely love this camper! We were concerned about the amount of storage space when we first started looking for a new trailer, but that is not an issue with this model at all. There is way more room than we thought there would be. There is ample space for the four of us too (2 adults and 2 teenage girls). I really have no complaints, and would recommend this model to anyone who is considering it. Tows easily behind my Silverado 1500, and set up is easy too. We have had 2 great trips so far, and look forward to many more!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camping1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	623.1 KB
ID:	174801   Click image for larger version

Name:	camping2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	174802  
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #16

Where and how have you put a paper towel holder? Tried attaching to the wall on the left side of refrigerator, but can't get command hooks to stick.
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmosher View Post
Where and how have you put a paper towel holder? Tried attaching to the wall on the left side of refrigerator, but can't get command hooks to stick.
We haven't attached it anywhere. We probably won't. We tend to take the roll with us outside or to the table, etc. We bought this one though that can be mounted.
Camco Pop-A-Towel- Mountable or Portable Paper Towel Holder Dispenser, Keep Paper Towels Clean, Conserve Space in Your RV Kitchen (White) (57111) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDOTCS..._J1ugBb4D55HKF
Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #18

We found "Tool Shop" magnetic paper towel holders at Menards. We attach 1 to the side of the oven vent hood inside (take it off when we travel so it doesn't fall off and break the glass stove top). I use the other 1 on the under side of the outside prep table. They're relatively cheap and easy to use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	245-1868_P_FV.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	174946  
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #19

I use one with two strong magnets, attached to the right side of the range hood, over the sink. Convenient spot and works great as long as you pull off the towels from front to back.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #20

Inside of the door under the sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmosher View Post
I put one of these on the inside of the door under the sink. Out of sight. Not knocked down when walking by or traveling.

The door was a frame with inset panel. The cabinet door was a frame with inset panel. The towel holder extended almost the full width of the door but the holes were in the wrong places--too close to the center--and screws would have gone into the thin panel, so I drilled new holes nearly at the corner bends.

I installed a full roll of paper towels and made sure I was mounting it
  • Low enough that a full roll would clear the cabinet top frame
  • High enough to clear the shelf
  • Close enough to the door hinge side that the full roll would clear the other side.
There was just enough room to satisfy all three criteria.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paper towel holder.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	174949  
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote