Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #21
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
If nitrogen was all that great for tires it would be a lot easier to find a place that sold it.

The one time I've had a flat, I called AAA because I have RV Plus on my policy with them. Prior to that, I carried a small hydraulic jack just in case.

When I replaced my Castle Rocks with Goodyear Endurance, I asked about the availability of nitrogen vs. air, as McGee Tire, a large commercial tire replacement company, does not have nitrogen. I was told that the equipment for nitrogen is very big and very expensive, not worth it for them to carry/sell. Might be because they do a lot of mobile work tho. My Castle Rocks had nitrogen but I'm fine running air, always checking pressures anyway.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #22
Can you run 3800 fps?

The correct tool size is: AAA for the Truck, and Coach Net for the trailer!
I'm too old to be bending wrenches any more... They have ALL the Tools to fix what can be fixed on the side of the road!
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #23

I have GS in case I need towing. I also carry the tools because if I am in the middle nowhere, i don't want to wait for someone to get there. In a few years I may change my mind on that.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperDroid View Post
The correct tool size is: AAA for the Truck, and Coach Net for the trailer!
I'm too old to be bending wrenches any more... They have ALL the Tools to fix what can be fixed on the side of the road!

Exactly Except where I live, we have AAA for RVs added to the policy for the truck/cars, but I think it's not an option in the Northeast. Looks like most use CoachNet or GoodSam () . But if you have AAA RV, they honor it everywhere. And I don't mind waiting for them in lieu of doing it myself.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
In a few years I may change my mind on that.

I would bet money on that . I used to do "everything" myself and loved every minute of it. I actually enjoyed all of the work and hassle setting up, taking down and maintaining our pop up - very labor intensive - felt like good exercise to me. As the years roll by, though, simpler is better, not only to save my back but to save my sanity. I remember the days when I couldn't believe someone would put a drill on a manual stabilizer when it was "just as easy" to turn that bar. Oy. Well, now, all I want to do is push a button and have things work for me so I can more quickly enjoy the camping experience without the added work.

Oh, and it happens at home, too . I pay people to do things that i used to enjoy doing myself....yard work, maintenance, etc.. I am still "young enough" to do a lot of things myself and I do, but now I spend a bit of time weighing the benefits of each before making the choice to do it myself
Old 09-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #26

I use helium in all my tires. I fill trash bags with helium and place them inside my travel trailer, I do this to reduce overall weight. Keeps the sway under control also. After arrival to campsite all helium is emptied into storage tank which then I tether to a rope. That way it serves as a floating type awning, reducing suns rays on top of camper and ac runs far less. When I’m ready to pack up, I just put helium back into bags in camper and home we go.
Hope this helps.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #27

Find a regular socket that fits and buy a 4-way wrench that has that size on it. I have bent cheap 4-way wrenches on stubborn nuts, so go for quality. Plan ahead buy loosening nuts, one at a time, and reinstalling using a torque wrench. No need to Jack and loosen them all at the same time. And do re-torque after 50 miles. The air we breath is 78% nitrogen. Nitrogen is a marketing ploy to relieve you of money.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #28

As pointed out by others, my aluminum wheels do not allow me to use any of the 5 t-bars that are in my garage. The "sockets" on the t-bars do not fit into the recessed areas where the lug nuts live. I have to use a breaker bar ad a socket.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #29

Yeah this weekend I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a ratcheting 1/2 - 18inch breaker bar and a lug nut socket set they had to keep in the trailer using the ever popular 20% off coupon. Should of thought about this last Monday when they had the 25% off coupon. Still contemplating on if I should pick up one of their bottle jacks or just use my leveling wheel chicks (knock off Andersen style) to lift the wheels if needed. Hopefully I’ll be lucky and never need to unless I’m servicing the trailer.
https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-dr...bar-67957.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-dr...-pc-62491.html
efiguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiguero View Post
Yeah this weekend I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a ratcheting 1/2 - 18inch breaker bar and a lug nut socket set they had to keep in the trailer using the ever popular 20% off coupon. Should of thought about this last Monday when they had the 25% off coupon. Still contemplating on if I should pick up one of their bottle jacks or just use my leveling wheel chicks (knock off Andersen style) to lift the wheels if needed. Hopefully I’ll be lucky and never need to unless I’m servicing the trailer.
https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-dr...bar-67957.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-dr...-pc-62491.html

Don't even try to lift your tt with the levelers as they are not jacks. Carry a bottle jack or floor jack for that purpose as has been already mentioned.

I went the same route with a dedicated socket and breaker bar (non ratcheting) in case I had to stand or use my foot on it due to back problems.

Pick up a torque wrench from HF the proper size to use for checking the values on your rims regularly and especially if you have to change a tire.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Don't even try to lift your tt with the levelers as they are not jacks. Carry a bottle jack or floor jack for that purpose as has been already mentioned.

I went the same route with a dedicated socket and breaker bar (non ratcheting) in case I had to stand or use my foot on it due to back problems.

Pick up a torque wrench from HF the proper size to use for checking the values on your rims regularly and especially if you have to change a tire.
Thanks for the suggestions!
efiguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #32
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5646 View Post
I use helium in all my tires. I fill trash bags with helium and place them inside my travel trailer, I do this to reduce overall weight. Keeps the sway under control also. After arrival to campsite all helium is emptied into storage tank which then I tether to a rope. That way it serves as a floating type awning, reducing suns rays on top of camper and ac runs far less. When I’m ready to pack up, I just put helium back into bags in camper and home we go.
Hope this helps.

That's like when I was growing up on a farm. We couldn't afford the calcium chloride solution you put in the tires for extra traction, so since carbon dioxide is heavier than air we blew them up like you would a balloon. They only took 20psi but the volume the tires held was a killer.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #33

tire iron and jack

we have a 2 axle micro lite and purchased a (trailer aid plus) love it do not carry a jack. jus drive up on it, raises wheel with flat. very easy to use.
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #34

Don't forget to change out the summer air for winter air in your tires when you winterize your trailer...
Cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #35

I bought a bottle jack to lift our Windjammer between the torflex axles, and I bought a 1/2" breaker bar and a socket from Harbor Freight for the lug nuts. I also bought a 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight to tighten and check the lug nuts. I keep them all in my truck whenever camping.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #36
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I actually tried that several years ago. Filled all 6 tires on our Lexi with 80 psi of helium. Luckily for us I forgot to fill the toads tires with helium...still had regular ol air in en.
The Lexi could get no traction at all. Rig was just touching the ground, and as we drove and used gas up, the Lexi got lighter, until the toad was the only thing holding our rig from lifting off!!!
:
Grumpy:
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #37
Tamarack Travels

It is dual axle. You don't need a jack. Just drive up on those yellow blocks to lift the bad tire in the air. My TT came with a lug wrench.
T508537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #38

Best tire changing tool

I love my roadside coverage.
Best tool ever.
lilrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #39

I carry a 3 foot long length of 2" PVC Pipe. Slip it over the breaker bar and it gives just enough leverage to help break the lug nuts.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #40

back to the original question... Note, I have a TT with 4 steel rims, the usual white ones... this is what I have done in case I have a tire issue. I went to Walmart and bought a small roll around shop type jack, came in a plastic box (and lives in the plastic box) and a 'X' type tire wrench that folds up flat.. the only time I had to use it was once I had a tire that was wearing 'funny' and decided to put the spare on, it all worked great...And as far as with duel axels driving up on a block with one axel, that **** don't work unless you drive on something like 8-10 inches tall because when the one axel goes up the one connected to it goes down (well, at least with my trailer that has the front and rear leaf springs connected together with a 'T" or triangle shaped piece)...best to just get a roll around jack and put right under where the leaf springs attach to the axel... I think this the jack https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Lift-...acity/28087370 and this is the wrench https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-14-...rench/14560050

they are not the best in the world, but they got the job done without any issues... my trailer is only 30 feet long, tow behind and for something bigger like a 5er you would prolly need something more robust..or road service...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire