Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Question

I've read all the other posts I could find on tire inflation questions, and I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

I'm accustomed to cars/trucks/motorcycles where the sidewall pressure is higher than the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Took the Rockwood 2304S out on Sunday for a week's trip down to NC and check the pressure. It was at 32 psi (on all tires), and the sticker says 50 psi (on all tires). Sidewall pressure on the tires is also 50 psi. Is that right? No delta between the sticker and the sidewall pressure? I inflated them to 48 psi on all tires, should there normally be a higher sidewall pressure than the manufacturer's recommendation?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

As long as the OEM tires are on the camper, the yellow sticker rules.

I actually upgraded the load range of the tires so I could carry a higher pressure than required.

32 PSI was WAY under inflated and super dangerous.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
I've read all the other posts I could find on tire inflation questions, and I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

I'm accustomed to cars/trucks/motorcycles where the sidewall pressure is higher than the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Took the Rockwood 2304S out on Sunday for a week's trip down to NC and check the pressure. It was at 32 psi (on all tires), and the sticker says 50 psi (on all tires). Sidewall pressure on the tires is also 50 psi. Is that right? No delta between the sticker and the sidewall pressure? I inflated them to 48 psi on all tires, should there normally be a higher sidewall pressure than the manufacturer's recommendation?
I inflate to whatever the max is on the sidewall of the tire.

I figure the tire mfg knows more about their tires than anyone else.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #4

The tires that came on our camper were just barely capable of carrying the GVWR of the camper, so they had to be inflated to the maximum.
But I quickly replaced them with a higher load range tire, like herk, so running them at max pressure is not an absolute necessity. But I only run them about 10% under the max, which is still a lot higher than the original tires.

The max pressure number on the sidewall is for when the tire is loaded at its maximum capacity. If you are carrying less weight, the pressure can be reduced, just like car/truck tires.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

If you go to the following link, you can see how much the recommended pressure can vary. But even I would be hesitant to run an E-rated tire at 35 psi!
Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
But think about it. If you are running a tire with a load capacity of 3000 lbs, and you are only carrying 2000 lbs, why would you run it at maximum pressure? It is only common sense to match the pressure with the load.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

And when I check the tire load/inflation chart for my Maxxis tires;

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf

It tells me I could run a pressure of 45 psi to carry the 2000 lbs of GVWR per tire. I am running the ST225/75R15 D-rated tires.
And as you can see, the C-rated tires that came on the camper were pretty much maxed out, even at their maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi.

So, by running my tires at 56-57 psi, I know I am more than safe, just in case there is a little variation in loading from tire to tire. But running them at the full 65 psi is both unnecessary and unadvisable, according to the tire manufacturers.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:

You were correct to pump them up to 48psi.

That yellow sticker is for the factory OEM tires which you apparently have. Is this a brand new trailer from the dealer that had under-inflated tires?

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
...So, by running my tires at 56-57 psi, I know I am more than safe, just in case there is a little variation in loading from tire to tire. But running them at the full 65 psi is both unnecessary and unadvisable, according to the tire manufacturers.
For myself, I run max pressure just in case I encounter some unexpected object on the highway. Saw a guy hit something that actually dented his rim and he later lost the air in the tire. Don't know if his tires were maxed out or not, but for me, I just don't choose to chance it.

As for max pressure not recommended by tire mfgrs, have never seen that in printed material.

Besides that, the air is free. Like my grandpappy told me yrs ago about a pocket knife. "Doesn't cost anymore to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull one."
Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
For myself, I run max pressure just in case I encounter some unexpected object on the highway. Saw a guy hit something that actually dented his rim and he later lost the air in the tire. Don't know if his tires were maxed out or not, but for me, I just don't choose to chance it.
Running a few lbs under the max would make little difference.

Quote:
As for max pressure not recommended by tire mfgrs, have never seen that in printed material.
I just posted a couple of manufacturers load/pressure charts.

It is ok to be wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Running a few lbs under the max would make little difference.

I just posted a couple of manufacturers load/pressure charts...
I read them very carefully and evidently missed where it said "not recommended" in the max pressures. Sorry about that.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #11

From Tirerack;
"An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher"

Enough already.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post

That yellow sticker is for the factory OEM tires which you apparently have. Is this a brand new trailer from the dealer that had under-inflated tires?
Yea, that blew me away too.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam

Not a new trailer, was pulling it of storage after a couple months, with some wild fluctuations in temp over the last couple months. Thought it would be a good idea to check the pressure, and defaulted to the sticker - until I saw it matched the sidewall pressure. Thought about going with it, but decided to do a few lbs less because I don't have a digital pressure gauge, and would rather not over-inflate.

As far as I know, stock tires (we bought it used, a year old), I guess I was just surprised to see the sticker match the sidewall - every other vehicle seems to have a delta between the two.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Not a new trailer, was pulling it of storage after a couple months, with some wild fluctuations in temp over the last couple months. Thought it would be a good idea to check the pressure, and defaulted to the sticker - until I saw it matched the sidewall pressure. Thought about going with it, but decided to do a few lbs less because I don't have a digital pressure gauge, and would rather not over-inflate.

As far as I know, stock tires (we bought it used, a year old), I guess I was just surprised to see the sticker match the sidewall - every other vehicle seems to have a delta between the two.
I think the fact that the yellow sticker is usually at max pressure is because they seem to always use the bare minimum tire, and so recommending the maximum pressure covers their butts in case anything goes wrong.
And your tires will lose pressure over time, and should always be checked when coming out of storage.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
From Tirerack;
"An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher"...
Don't recall anyone recommending over inflating tires, just putting them to max Cold per sidewall.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I think there is enough here for the OP to have his answer.
If the OP is satisfied his question has been answered I believe further beating of this horse would be futile.

If phrogpilot73 has further questions please start a new thread.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread