Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
CWB

Red face Tires 2011 5th wheel 8280S

I need to change tires as I have had 2 tires lose their tread on 3 trips, apparently from manufacturing defect. These are original Trail Express tires. Can anyone recommend an alternate brand that may be more reliable? Pls specify number of plies tread / sidewalls, steel, nylon, polyester. I currently have 5 plies of various sorts and 2 on the sidewall.

Tired of changing tires on the road,

CWB

Thanks
CWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

I have a 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS which is similar and I have Goodyear Marathons 225-75-15 Load Range D (8ply) which I bought 2 yrs ago and had the dealer switch to this trailer from an 08Flagstaff 831RLSS tongue trailer. I would definitely go with a load range D. I have run Goodyear Marathons for years on race car trailers as well as other trailers and have never had a flat or a blowout with them. Others like Maxxis, but I like Goodyears because there are dealers in practically every town in the US. Not so with most of the other brands.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
CWB

Does the 8 ply mean 5 to the tread & 3 to the sidewall?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

I guess I mistated mine, I just looked and they are load range D. Tread-2 plys polyester, 2 plys steel & 1 ply nylon. Sidewall-2 plys polyester. Sorry for the error.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

What size tires do you have now?
If they are 15 inch your only best solution is Maxxis. If they are 16 inch then go with any good quality LT tire. BFG, Michelin, and Hankook are but three choices people are using.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
CWB

thank you, I am looking up Maxxis and Marathons for d range and plies.

I appreciate your help on this.

CWB
Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #7

Youll find that Marathon along with just about every other St tire out there is made in China. All you have to do to convince yourself against them is do a search for China bombs/ China made ST/ St tire failures on any of the RV forums. You will find hundreds of pages of problems. At least the Maxxis is built in Thailand and has a decent reputation.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Youll find that Marathon along with just about every other ST tire out there is made in China. All you have to do to convince yourself against them is do a search for China bombs/ China made ST/ ST tire failures on any of the RV forums. You will find hundreds of pages of problems. At least the Maxxis is built in Thailand and has a decent reputation.
Agree Maxxis are built in Thailand, AND all the other eastern countries, just like GY. The only reason you read so much about Marathons is they are the most popular brand and the dealer network. I think everyone needs to run whatever he/she feels they want to run. There are 4 reasons tires blow and they apply to every tire manufactured, regardless of who builds them or where they are built.
1) Overloaded
2) Under/Over inflated
3) Road Hazard (Nail, screw, etc.)
4) Age of tire (worn, rot, etc)

Tags
280, 5th wheel