Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Tires filled with nitrogen

My new trailer comes with nitrogen in the tires. What are the benefits and what if the tire needs to be inflated. What do you do? Can you add air?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Lots of threads and info on this topic. Up at the top just type in Nitrogen and hit search. You will have plenty of reading.

2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
nitrogen.... mostly hype

benefits? none for you in the long or short run.
if tire needs to be inflated....? Put air in it.

Should You Fill Your Car's Tires With Nitrogen?

From article:

Is Nitrogen Worth It?
The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible.

Based on cost, convenience and actual performance benefit, we don't think nitrogen is worth it. A much better use of your money would be to buy a good tire-pressure gauge and check your tires frequently.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
The only real benefit of Nitrogen (my experience) is not having to add air to the tires on a regular basis. We're entering our third season with Nitrogen filled tires and I still haven't had to add air to the tires. I have been amazed that while in storage over the winter the tires didn't lose any pressure. When the time comes though, I'll just add plain ol' air.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
One of the biggest scams going! The air you breathe is 78% nitrogen! as long as you are installing reasonably "DRY" air you need not worry about it, just check the tire psi. in your rv before your trips and you'll be fine. Normal psi. gain/loss is 1psi. for every 10 degrees F.
2006 2500HD Duramax CCSB 2WD
2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 35
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud
I'm with oakman, our last trailer I never added any air to the tires from the day we picked up at the dealer till a year later when insurance hauled it away.
Nitrogen pressures wont fluctuate from heating and cooling like normal compressed air.
Would I pay extra for, unless I decide to get my own bottle, but it is nice!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The only real benefit of Nitrogen (my experience) is not having to add air to the tires on a regular basis.
That has been my experience on our new Rockwood also.
A friend has a heavy duty GMC van and the tires require 80 psi. He went nuts trying to find a public fill station that could go that high. He put in N three years ago and hasn't had to find a truck stop since.
I'm just sayin'
Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Pure hype.
Had nitrogen in Nissan 350 Z Roadster...had wild fluctuations in PSI. Very low on cold mornings...would be overinflated in the afternoon if added any air.
Have nitrogen in RV tires...same issue and still loses PSI over time. Will put air in any new tires I purchase.
When changing Z from nitrogen to air I purchased 2 new tires for rear...put air in them while front still had nitrogen. There was absolutely no difference in fluctuations of tire pressure or leakage.

2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel DRW
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2608 WS
2013 Days Camping: 61
2014 Days Camping: 200+
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
The arguments about N2 in tires has been raging for a long time. You don't have to fill as often, some (Including me) feel it rides better afterwards. I worked at a dealer that had N2 and a machine that would purge it to 95-98% N2, I experienced no pressure fluctuation under normal conditions, but did see a two PSI change from summer to winter.

I'm a fan. Is it worth paying for it? Nope, not really. If you have a place local that doesn't mind keeping you topped up, go for it. You can find N2 bottles for tire fill like racers use, I saw one on ebay for $75, tank, regulator and gauge, I got outbid in the final seconds.

But the benefits really are more convenience. It doesn't get you more MPG, it just keeps pressure longer. Tire rot and wheel corrosion from moisture inside the tire is rare today, but not unheard of. I personally feel it rides better, but it is still a truck.

I feel it's like many advances that came from aerospace. I think it'll be the norm in a decade or so, to the point that N2 will be readily available most everywhere like compressed air is at gas stations. Just like disc brakes, drums do work fine, and discs were an option many saw as unnecessary to pay for. Then they became standard. Now disc brakes are unquestionably superior to drums, I'm not saying N2 is the same at all, but I think the mindset will follow suit. Eventually N2 will just become normal.

I'll tell you this, if the manufacturers start putting N2 in cars and trucks from the factory you'll see it literally take off like wildfire. And I'll guarantee the compressed gas lobby has been knocking on doors in Detroit, Japan, Europe.
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Experienced Newbie
The tires on my Apex came "factory filled" with nitrogen and I've had to add more air more frequently than my car tires filed with regular air.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
Closed Thread

led, tire, tires