Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #31

The tires may be rated at 80 psi - but what are the wheel rims rated at? The rims on my Rockwwod 8280 (1/2 ton towable) are rated at 65psi. So I keep my E load tires at 65psi - monitor them closely - seems to be working and wearing just fine. Think you have a much heavier rig.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #32

What E rated tires are you using? I've seen a lot of D but not very many E.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #33

Carlisle tires.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #34

I have the same on my 8281. Carlisle load range E and run them at 65psi with TPMS. Trips to Florida and Grand Canyon from Texas without issues. No overheating even when temp outside was 100 degrees. My experience was that two of my China bombs blew out within an hour of each other before I replaced them! Luckily no damage to the rv.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Halloran View Post
The tires may be rated at 80 psi - but what are the wheel rims rated at? The rims on my Rockwwod 8280 (1/2 ton towable) are rated at 65psi. So I keep my E load tires at 65psi - monitor them closely - seems to be working and wearing just fine. Think you have a much heavier rig.
Do you know what the factory load rating is when running the tires at 65 psi instead of 80 psi?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #36

Here is a ST load range chart by Maxxis. I believe it applies to any brand of ST tire.

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis USA
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
Do you know what the factory load rating is when running the tires at 65 psi instead of 80 psi?
Don't know the factory load rating with E load tires at 65 psi. I believe that the E load rated tires at 65psi are very capable of carrying my half-ton towable, 7600 pound dry weight 5th.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #38
Travelin Man

We made the mistake of leaving OEM tires on the rig. one lasted about 1500 miles before it took out the side of our Wildcat Sterling. then had multiple problems with the other tires, including the spare only getting about 200 miles on it before it seperated and took out the newly repaired side. even the replacement tires they sent me on warranty were marginal, they lasted about 8000 miles before I replaced them with truck tires. we use load range E 16 inch tires, I would go higher than that but cant get them to fit on my rig as tires are too close together. I recommend you replace the OEM Tires with something you can trust.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Halloran View Post
Don't know the factory load rating with E load tires at 65 psi. I believe that the E load rated tires at 65psi are very capable of carrying my half-ton towable, 7600 pound dry weight 5th.
An E rated tire at 65 psi attains a load range rating equal to a D rated tire. Check out the chart I linked above.

And therefore, your "D" load tire (E rated inflated to 65 psi is a D rated tire) will comfortably carry your 7600 lbs. I went with "D" rated Maxxis knowing that the max pressure allowed by the wheels was 65 psi. I saw very little benefit in putting on E rated tires if I could only inflate them to 65ps. My biggest gain and increase in peace of mind came from taking off the factory C rated tires and installing the Maxxis D rated.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
An E rated tire at 65 psi attains a load range rating equal to a D rated tire. Check out the chart I linked above.

And therefore, your "D" load tire (E rated inflated to 65 psi is a D rated tire) will comfortably carry your 7600 lbs. I went with "D" rated Maxxis knowing that the max pressure allowed by the wheels was 65 psi. I saw very little benefit in putting on E rated tires if I could only inflate them to 65ps. My biggest gain and increase in peace of mind came from taking off the factory C rated tires and installing the Maxxis D rated.
I don't understand the advantage of an E rated tire over a D at 65 psi, unless you can buy them cheaper.

Tags
5th wheel, tire, tires, wheel