Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Scotsman

Tires On A New 5th Wheel?

We are about to receive a new 2015 Rockwood 5th wheel. Does anyone know what type of tires will come with it. C or D load range and what make? I'am still waiting to hear back from my sales rep on this info. We ordered this unit so we have not had a chance to look at the tires. By the threads that we have seen, if it is C load rate we will be spending even more money to replace them with D load rated tires. We have a 3 year old TT and it came with D tires. The 5th wheel is about 300 LBS more than the TT and for the life of me I can not understand why they would put C load tires on this 5th wheel. I hope that I'm wrong. Thanks for any info.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #2

I can't answer your specific tire question about what comes on your 5th wheel, but I think the answer as to "why" has to do with 15-20% of the 5th wheel's weight going on the pin, so the tires don't have to carry the full weight, like they do (almost full, anyway) on a TT. The factory is going to go with the cheapest, lightest thing they can get away with and still be "rated" to carry the weight, even if it's just marginal. So you're probably onto something good. Do a search on these forums, there's lots of advice on this topic.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Scotsman

Tire On A 5th Wheel

Thanks for the info it makes sense. Still after reading all the issues with tires I think I will make the move to put D load tires on if in fact the trailer does comes with C load tires. There's to much riding on the tires to take a chance. Sorry for the pun.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

Hello,
Which 5 the wheel model did u order? What are your plans with it in December here in the frozen north? We too have a rockwood 5 but it is sleeping for the winter!
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Scotsman

Tires On A 5th Wheel

Hello fellow Canadians.

We are picking up our new Rockwood 8285 IKWS in Florida, hopefully at the end of January. Will be down there for a few months so hopefully we can workout any of the bugs with the trailer. Do you happen to know what type of tires came on your unit and what is your model and have have you liked it?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Scotsman

Tires On A 5th Wheel

I think it's to early in the morning for me to be posting! I saw that you have the same unit as ours. Really interested in how you are enjoying this model. Any thoughts that you would love to share would be appreciated. We have also ordered the Diamond Package. Any towing issues? Thanks for any info that you are willing to share.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #7

Traveling with OEM tires is apparently like playing Russian Roulette with the quality of your trip. I did ok until one return leg where the cap separated and tore up the side of my trailer. Pay the money to replace them. It's worth the peace of mind!
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Scotsman

Tires On A 5th Wheel

Thanks Fivealive

There is no way I could travel with this new unit and have any piece of mind. I have read to many posts about poor tires. There must be many of RVer's that have not had any problems but there's no way I want my new 5th torn up. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Thanks Fivealive

There is no way I could travel with this new unit and have any piece of mind. I have read to many posts about poor tires. There must be many of RVer's that have not had any problems but there's no way I want my new 5th torn up. Thanks for the info.
I feel exactly as you do and plan to change the tires on our new Flagstaff fiver to D-range as soon as it is delivered. When I ordered I was told that there was not a tire upgrade and if the dealer replaced them it would void the FR tire warranty.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Scotsman,
I used the C tire for the first 13 months on our 8289 and after the trip last June up through the Near North across to Ottawa to visit my son we changed tires. Upon removal 2 beads were cracked and about to fail. I would highly recommend D load tires. I put Goodyear Marathons on mine, Maxxxis were not available and also were a choice. I did have a option for Westlake for a few dollars saved but have read of issues with them as well.

I ran to Indiana in the summer and Michigan for a late fall trip and no issues with GY tires on some of the worst roads I have been on.

There are some here have found the maximum inflation on stock rims is 65 lbs, mine were stamped with weight only. I run 60 lbs which is plenty for full loading, which we are very close too.

All the best and have a great winter.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Scotsman

Thanks Brian

Do you know the tire specs. on the GY tires that you put on? Were they ST 225/75R 15 D. I think while were're down in Florida that I will look for a set of Maxxi. Know one seems to know the tire size on the 5th wheels. Thanks, have a good one.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #12

You will get Trail Express by Lionhead, they will be "C" rated tires, loaded you will have about 200 weight left that they can carry per wheel. Been down that road already. I got 6000 miles before my blow out in the sidewall now switched to GY Marathons "D" rated, Your rims will be able to carry 60 PSI stamped inside of the rim. Unless they made a change that I do not know of, which is possible. You can check the inflation charts but I think my CP rating at 65 psi now is like 2350 or so, big difference. mine are ST 225/75/R "D"

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Scotsman

Hey, really appreciate some solid info, I didn't think anybody knew this info including my RV Dealer. I'll start looking for some good prices for this size of tire, maybe Maxxis, seem to be reading good things with this brand. What do you think? Thanks for your time. Have a good one.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

As I have stated several times on this forum, I refused to pull our 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS off the dealers lot when it was new on the factory tires. I mistakenly did on our 08Flagstaff831RLSS and only got around 5,000 miles before one blew and did $1800 damage. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathon LR D and those tires and wheels went on the new 2012. Took the tires off last Jun and had new GY Marathon LR D balanced and put back on. In Aug, I took all 4 tires and wheels off and had all steel valve stems installed and re-balanced with the TST TPMS 507 Flow Thru sensors installed.

IMO you are just gambling with having major damage to your trailer with the factory tires. IF, you have a blowout, you are still going to have to buy new tires, so, it makes more sense to me to just replace them before the damage occurs.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Hey, really appreciate some solid info, I didn't think anybody knew this info including my RV Dealer. I'll start looking for some good prices for this size of tire, maybe Maxxis, seem to be reading good things with this brand. What do you think? Thanks for your time. Have a good one.
I really do not think that maxxis or Marathon are really any different.
This always starts the great tire war. It depends on so many things. You and me don't know how people take care of them. They are both good tires. I always had GY on all trailers and never a problem. I know people who swear by each which ever they decided to buy. If your going to run any tire under inflated or hit curbs or over load them any tire will blow. GY been in business along time probably with the most dealers out of them all. To each there own, but I know I have never had a problem with them. I also learned to use TST system and I shoot my hubs at every stop to make sure I'm not getting a break dragging and causing extra heat. Good Luck and Congrats on the new 5er......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Scotsman

Thanks again, good to know that you have so much faith in GY and have never had any problems. We'll toot the horn as we go through your great state on our way down to Florida. Cheers!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #17

5th Wheel Rockwood Tires

I owned a 2013 Flagstaff 5th Wheel which I purchased it new. Within 6 Mos. of ownership I blew out a Tire. I went to Discount Tire and they told me, with the weight of the Rig I should of had no less than a D Rated Tire. Contacted Lyons Head Tire Company they denied me an Adjustment. I contacted the Flagstaff and they made an Adjustment of $125.00 per Tire to upgrade to Higher Quality Tire. I changed all Tires on the ground and the Spare. I had no more problems afterwards.

I hope this information helps you.
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #18

New Tires

I bought a 2013 cedar creek. After 10k miles and owning the trailer for 1.5 years and storing on dry pavement and always checking inflations I blew a tire 3 hours from home on one side. Tore up the sheet metal and blew off the wheel well trim. Changed the tire and 1 hour later blew one on the other side with the same damage.

Went by the factory during this month trip as I was in this part of the country and Cedar Creek does not stand behind damage from tires or warrant tires. They were helpful in saving me some money on repair parts.

If I had known better I would not take possession with factory tires. I would upgrade to at least Marathon's or better before taking possession. The Marathons are made in China and this was the only tire I could buy on the road quickly from Camping World while broken down. If I had time I probably would have taken the advice of other and gone to Michelins or D or E LTs.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #19

5th wheel tires usually have a tire load capacity sufficient to cover the trailer weight plus a small amount of cargo. When you load the recommended cargo weight you will be very near 100% of your tire capacity( maybe over). Cargo includes Potable, gray and black water plus all other things you need. It is never a good idea to run anything at 100% of its capacity. I recommend taking your camper to a truck stop or state weigh station and have each axle weighed. Divide each axle weight by 2 to find actual tire load. My 5th wheel was over 100% of tire capacity. I reduced my cargo weight and changed from "C" load tires to "D"s and now have less than 70% load on each tire. Never tow without air pressure at recommended the pressure for full load. Check the side wall of your tire for Pressure. Learn to read the DOT date code on your tires and never exceed 5 years no matter how good you think the tires are. Blow outs are expensive will do damage to your RV, this is experience speaking.
bdcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #20

Palmetto Rogue,
Would you mind sharing what brand tires came on your new 2013 Cedar Creek? We purchased a 2015 Cedar Creek and it came with West Lake China tires. They are 14 ply and G rated 100psi at 4250lbs. Hope I am not hijacking this thread. Thanks........
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire, tires, wheel