Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Toilet issues on Rockwood 8289ws

Anyone have issues with no water to your Toilet. Have
taken into dealer three times in 1st year. Each time was told they had to blow debris out of the lines due to build up from the water heater. Again after using the 5th wheel only 4 nights in May the 1st night out in July we have no water to the toilet.
Debris from the water heater doesn't seem likely to me as all faucets the have hot water are fine,only the toilet has an issue with no water.
emason83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

No problems here... We do use an external water filter in addition to the on-board filter, but I agree with you, what does the water heater have to do with water in the toilet?!
3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

If they're just cleaning out the toilet valve and not actually FLUSHING the line, I could see how you might have this issue 3 times.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
No issues here but if the water heater is polluting the toilet how? Is there hot water when you flush?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Site Team

I'd say they weren't flushing the lines. I'd take the line loose at the toilet and hook up a small hose to run the water into either the toilet or the shower and flush the system using both city water and the pump to be sure you get all the debris out of the system.

Once you've done that, you can hook it back up and should be good to go.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emason83 View Post
Anyone have issues with no water to your Toilet. Have
taken into dealer three times in 1st year. Each time was told they had to blow debris out of the lines due to build up from the water heater. Again after using the 5th wheel only 4 nights in May the 1st night out in July we have no water to the toilet.
Debris from the water heater doesn't seem likely to me as all faucets the have hot water are fine,only the toilet has an issue with no water.
This is dealer BS!! your hot water heater (HWH) does not supply water to the toilet!

Check the operation of your toilet flush pedal - When you press it down does it fully open the valve to the black tank? If not adjust it so it does - these two items (water flow and tank valve opening) are intimately related.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #7

You say, "last year" ... so I take it for granted your trailer is out of warranty. In that case put the rubber gloves on and reach down in the toilet and grease ( use Vaseline) the rubber seal around the bowl where it dumps down. Put some water in and see if it holds water. If it does --good!!! You can replace the rubber seal later.
If it doesn't hold you may try repositioning the toilet over the floor bracket. Just loosen the bolts and move the toilet slightly so it lines up right over the hole. Retighten and try again.

If all else fails then buy a new porcelain toilet and mama will appreciate it.
Good luck.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

The hot water heater feeds the toilet indirectly. Search my posts on the Georgetown forum as I don't have time to explain right now.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Hiya!

We ended up having an issue like you're describing on our 2014 2109S. Our challenge started as overall lower water pressure. Kinda out of the blue.

I cleaned the filter screen on the water pump. Which it needed. But that helped everything EXCEPT the toilet.

What the toilet issue was, was a partially clogged inline filter screen in the flush valve, where the supply hose connects to the flush valve. I turned off the water (of course) drained pressure, then detached the hose from the toilet. No tools required unless the hand-tightened hose collar is too tight.

Even though our toilet is too close to the wall to see inside the flush valve supply connector, I randomly poked around in different spots with a toothpick. I could feel resistance like there was blockage in the screen.

I reconnected the hose and pressured it up. Voila! BETTER than original whoosh! At least the wife thinks so. Which is what counts!
Old 07-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Members

Cold water feeds the water heater and all the cold water taps. The hot water does not migrate through the cold water lines.
Tommy Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
The hot water heater feeds the toilet indirectly. Search my posts on the Georgetown forum as I don't have time to explain right now.
Here's a post from Paul S:

What if your system is charged and then you disconnect it. Then you try to flush the toilet. With any pressure left in the system and 10 gallons of water in the heater I think the heater will back feed the cold side and push any sediment to the open valve. Does this make sense???

Another poster responded saying it might be "plausible."

Here's my take:
Unless the WH is very close to the toilet, there's bound to be several feet of hose between them. Water is essentially incompressible, so the volume of water required to back flow and drop the pressure is relatively small. I don't believe the cold water line is attached directly at the bottom of the WH tank. "Stuff" usually lays on the bottom of the tank, so I think it's unlikely (but certainly not impossible) for enough stuff to migrate far enough back into the cold water line to ultimately get to the toilet.

But if the OP thinks this might be part of the problem, drain and flush the WH, then flush out the line the toilet, and you should be OK.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #12

I found my post and copied and pasted the text here;

Actually your toilet is fed through the hot water heater. My theory is that when your water system is fully under pressure and you flush the toilet the drop in pressure is not fully compensated for from your outside water supply source. Given that there is 10 gallons of water sitting at a higher pressure in your hot water tank the heater back feeds into your cold water supply line carrying any sediment or debris from the decaying anode. This sediment will pulse along each time the toilet is flushed until it gets caught in the screen of the flush valve. Also, the flush valve and the heater are roughly in the same horizontal plane compared to the sinks and the shower. This is why these tend to not get as much sediment as the flush valve. Hope this clears things up.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Members

Quote:
I found my post and copied and pasted the text here;

Actually your toilet is fed through the hot water heater. My theory is that when your water system is fully under pressure and you flush the toilet the drop in pressure is not fully compensated for from your outside water supply source. Given that there is 10 gallons of water sitting at a higher pressure in your hot water tank the heater back feeds into your cold water supply line carrying any sediment or debris from the decaying anode. This sediment will pulse along each time the toilet is flushed until it gets caught in the screen of the flush valve. Also, the flush valve and the heater are roughly in the same horizontal plane compared to the sinks and the shower. This is why these tend to not get as much sediment as the flush valve. Hope this clears things up.
Don't mean to be contrary, but that is simply not the case. The cold water only feeds the water heater and when there is a drop in pressure the pressure drop is constant throughout the system including the water heater. It doesn't migrate from the hot supply line from the heater to the cold supply.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joann View Post
Don't mean to be contrary, but that is simply not the case. The cold water only feeds the water heater and when there is a drop in pressure the pressure drop is constant throughout the system including the water heater. It doesn't migrate from the hot supply line from the heater to the cold supply.
Ok. So what is your explanation of the anode material clogging the flush valve?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #15

Paul,

With all due respect I still disagree

Further, I believe I am in a better position to disagree because of two points:
1. I am a former owner of a Rockwood 8289WS
2. I have been to the Rockwood plant and have seen the units built; there is a single cold water PEX line feeding the toilet.

Not saying that the HWH does not feed the toilet in a Georgetown, but at least in my 2013 and the 2014/2015 units I saw built it does not.

And, on a Berkshire I can categorically say this is not true because we have a tankless HWH & Water manifold wet bay
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #16
Members

Quote:
Ok. So what is your explanation of the anode material clogging the flush valve?
All I can say is bad plumbing.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joann View Post
X2

As I stated previously, water is incompressible. So it only takes a thimbleful or so to move to drop the pressure. Not nearly enough to pull crap off the bottom of the tank and travel several feet back into the cold water line to wherever it taps off to the toilet.

But as I said, if you really think that's your problem, drain and flush your HWH and flush all the lines.

Tags
rockwood