Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Tongue Jack Failure

Be Advised!! My electric tongue jack on my 2012 Windjammer has a broken gear. I disassembled the head and found the small drive gear cracked in half. I just got a call back from LCI and they advised me that they purchase the complete jack from overseas and they do not have parts available. They advised me to purchase a new jack. I can't believe I can't get the gear. LCI said this is not the first time they have had a disgruntled customer over the same problem. I assumed LCI manufactured the product, WRONG.
If anyone has a LCI power front jack you better carry a manual replacement, your going to need it. I am going to pursue this with Forest River.
Frank

Link to LCI: Power Tongue Jack - Leveling & Stabilization
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

the jack on my 2014 went out. was dropping it off at the dealer for other warranty work when it would not go down to raise the TT. Spoke with dealership saturday and was told they are ordering a replacement from the factory.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Same problem here. While talking with the dealer, they kept mentioning the "pin" to lower it before engaging the motor. I kept asking "what pin". Turns out they ordered many without any Pins at all. They also admitted to many problems. I hope forrest river listens. My dealer swapped mine out with another on the lot as we were in the process of hitting the road.
DanDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #4

On our 2014 Windjammer, we have the electric jack with the little bubble level on top, mounted on a cap that covers the shaft for manually operating the jack. On a number of these jacks there is no gasket on that cap, so water gets in there and shorts out the electric motor, thus, no electric jack. Happened to us on a trip to Texas. No problem - get out the wrench and operate in manually until we get home. THAT lasted until we were about half-way home. By then, it rusted and wouldn't even operate manually. In Vicksburg, MS, we had to use a bottle jack to jack up the trailer to unhook it from our truck, and to re-attach it to the truck.

Our jack is a Lippert, too. Our dealer said they had replaced about a dozen jacks with the same issue. The replacement jack looks similar but does have a gasket on the cap that covers the manual operating pin. Even so, when it is stored (like now) I cover the head of the jack with a large Zip-Lock bag.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

Cover the (LCI jack) with a bag or a bucket,then Replace it with a (Barker VIP jack) they are (Made in the USA). I have a LCI jack in the corner of my shop that we use to Breed with other LCI jacks,they reproduce little LCI jacks! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Cover the (LCI jack) with a bag or a bucket,then Replace it with a (Barker VIP jack) they are (Made in the USA). I have a LCI jack in the corner of my shop that we use to Breed with other LCI jacks,they reproduce little LCI jacks! Youroo!!
I had a gear strip on my barker and you can get parts but with the cost of the gear and shipping it only cost me $35 more for a new one.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Maybe I should send you my cracked gear and you can breed me a new one. LOL Frank
Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #8

Our jack has the level bubble on top. There is no pin to lower it. the only pin i have seen is one to remove the foot and replce it with a wheel. I would bet the issue is water getting in the jack also we have had a lot of rain lately. to me this would be a design flaw. the bubble seemes to be useless i can have the tt Level and the bubble on the jack it still off.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #9

Our jack failed yesterday, less than 10 months old. My husband couldn't even manually override it. It is now at Lazy Days.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
On our 2014 Windjammer, we have the electric jack with the little bubble level on top, mounted on a cap that covers the shaft for manually operating the jack. On a number of these jacks there is no gasket on that cap, so water gets in there and shorts out the electric motor, thus, no electric jack. Happened to us on a trip to Texas. No problem - get out the wrench and operate in manually until we get home. THAT lasted until we were about half-way home. By then, it rusted and wouldn't even operate manually. In Vicksburg, MS, we had to use a bottle jack to jack up the trailer to unhook it from our truck, and to re-attach it to the truck.

Our jack is a Lippert, too. Our dealer said they had replaced about a dozen jacks with the same issue. The replacement jack looks similar but does have a gasket on the cap that covers the manual operating pin. Even so, when it is stored (like now) I cover the head of the jack with a large Zip-Lock bag.
We have (had) the same intermittent problem with the V-Lite we're trading in for a 5er Saturday morning. (2014...only had it for 8 months) But, when we carried it in for warranty 2 weeks ago it worked beautifully. dang it So it wasn't replaced. We began keeping a collapsible rubber bucket over it.

The warranty guy kept telling us it didn't need to be water proof, and in fact it has holes drilled in the bottom for water to drain out.

I do expect that jack will be replaced before it's re-sold.

BTW, we first used the gallon sized zip lock. Humidity formed inside it and made it worse.

P.S. when it would bind down we'd tap it with a small rubber hammer and away it'd go.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Site Team

My tongue jack died after leaving the dealership and arriving at the storage place to drop it off after my PDI. After the dealer replaced the jack I brought a cover for it at CampingWorld which works well for keeping it dry and dust free.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We have (had) the same intermittent problem with the V-Lite we're trading in for a 5er Saturday morning. (2014...only had it for 8 months) But, when we carried it in for warranty 2 weeks ago it worked beautifully. dang it So it wasn't replaced. We began keeping a collapsible rubber bucket over it.
I replaced my LCI jack that made it just about 1-1/2 years. Always covered with a 5 gallon bucket and clip the safety chains to the handle from the day I installed it. The Bucket comes in handy at camp for an outside trash bin!
Went with a Husky Brute...night and day. IT too gets the bucket!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
The warranty guy kept telling us it didn't need to be water proof, and in fact it has holes drilled in the bottom for water to drain out.
He's right, there are holes in the plastic housing for water egress. However, he's wrong, also. The unwanted water seeps around the ungasketed top plug, then gets into the gear housing filling it with water first (no weep holes there), then runs down the drive shaft into the motor, out of the motor into the housing then out the weep holes the "warranty guy" was referring to.
FR sent me a whole new jack. It has been such a problem that they asked only for a picture of the label and didn't want the old jack returned.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #14

Ours failed just after installed on TV. Started to raise jack and gears snapped allowing the leg to free fall to ground. If it had failed several minutes sooner trailer would have dropped. New jack is covered with a plastic pail that is held on by the safety chains. I also bolted a clip used to clip broom handles to the wall. I snap my 7 way plug on clip, keeps wire off the ground.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I replaced my LCI jack that made it just about 1-1/2 years. Always covered with a 5 gallon bucket and clip the safety chains to the handle from the day I installed it. The Bucket comes in handy at camp for an outside trash bin!
Went with a Husky Brute...night and day. IT too gets the bucket!
Here's the bucket we use...but in blue.
Tough 1 Blue Collapsible Water Bucket Horse Tack Equine | eBay
We secured it with a mini bungee cord to the hitch.
We're keeping it when we trade the TT in Saturday. Love that it's collapsible and a bucket is always handy to have while camping.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #16
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
He's right, there are holes in the plastic housing for water egress. However, he's wrong, also. The unwanted water seeps around the ungasketed top plug, then gets into the gear housing filling it with water first (no weep holes there), then runs down the drive shaft into the motor, out of the motor into the housing then out the weep holes the "warranty guy" was referring to.
FR sent me a whole new jack. It has been such a problem that they asked only for a picture of the label and didn't want the old jack returned.

Teach
Wish you'd been standing there when he was arguing with us. Oh well, come Saturday morning it's the dealer's problem (same dealer we are buying the 5er from) Full disclosure! We told 'em!

It's even documented on the warranty work-up sheet from 2 weeks ago, with "could not duplicate" written out beside it.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #17

Tongue Jack Failure

Hi All: Just some follow up. The dealer reply was that there is nothing they can do even though the jack is just about one month past the two year warranty. They claim that they are very stringent on the dates. I replied and asked them to check with Forest River anyway and see if they would be able to help. I am sure they have had complaints with this product and I am surprised that they would put an imported product that is not serviceable on such a costly RV. I will re-post when I get a reply.
If FR does not offer any help I will pursue it directly with them and if need be I will try Trailer Life. Frank
Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, Frank, and let us know how it turns out. In the meantime, if you are still without a jack, a recommend a Barker 3500VIP (in case you are looking for a better option).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #19

Triguy: Thanks for your input. I have checked out that jack and it is US made. If I need to make a purchase it will be a Barker for sure. Frank

I have been to Wisconsin many times. I was in sales management with Weather Shield Mfg.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I know that company! I've driven by their factory in Medford as we used to take trips that way to fish in the area like the Chequamegon waters flowage and then over to Wissota for Musky. Nice area!

I think you'll like the Barker. I had one of the two switches go (barely out of warranty IIRC) and just called them and they sent a replacement switch. Great customer service. I like to use their Totes, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote