Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #21

I pull my 2014 8289ws with a 2013 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #22

What kind of trucks do you have across the pond?

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #23

Most are European however they are embodied into the UK market, Ford Ranger wildtrac 3.2 Lt is the one that's seems top of the pile and being adopted as to pull the 5vers , others are Nissan Navara and the new Volkswagen , the aim by the manufacturers is to achieve 3500 kg towing, the Ford is plated for this weight, with adding air support we are able to replate allowing a train weight 7ton , the US ton is different to a UK ton. Some of the hardened 5th wheeler owners cut down wagons and large trucks and fit hitch's.
frankrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrose View Post
Most are European however they are embodied into the UK market, Ford Ranger wildtrac 3.2 Lt is the one that's seems top of the pile and being adopted as to pull the 5vers , others are Nissan Navara and the new Volkswagen , the aim by the manufacturers is to achieve 3500 kg towing, the Ford is plated for this weight, with adding air support we are able to replate allowing a train weight 7ton , the US ton is different to a UK ton. Some of the hardened 5th wheeler owners cut down wagons and large trucks and fit hitch's.
To import a new 2500 truck form US besides the vat and transport cost , the the government add another 20%, if it 10 years old 10%, so roll on Brixit, and let get down to deals.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #25

Quote:
I am surprised that no one has picked up that you use the British Long Ton (approximately 2240 lbs, slightly more than the Metric Tonne, 2200 lbs), which is heavier than the U.S. Short Ton (2000 lbs.)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Whaaaat?

Now I have to figure out what you just said. Who knew a ranger would be the best at pulling a 5er...I hope they make them bigger over there.

Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #27

We have been deliberating the tow for the 8289ws in UK this a quote from one member....,

Rockwood 8289ws is apparently 8866lbs unladen/unmodded. Cargo is 1354lbs, so all-up max weight is 10,220lbs. Or 4,636kg.

This is a tad more than say a Rambler (4,200kg on older model) but that means almost ANY Euro pickup will pull it, such as Navara, Amarok, Wildtrack etc. The Amarok V6 and Wildtrack 3.2 will pull a little easier.*

Irrespective of US/Euro truck debates, every truck has a max possible towing weight. Euro trucks are 3000-3500kgs typically. Some US trucks are the same, and the bigger ones can tow a lot more. This is why many trucks may need uplating and modifying as a 3500kg towing limit is just not quite enough for many fivers.

A US truck that can tow more than the weight of one's fiver 'out of the box' may not need modifying or uplating, but there are other issues with these, tax on importation being one, so some need downplating! Some of this thread has been about total all-up weights and licenses, which is kind of separate.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Whaaaat?

Now I have to figure out what you just said. Who knew a ranger would be the best at pulling a 5er...I hope they make them bigger over there.

Good luck!
I suspect that will never happen ,I think your Ford 1500 would be the problem
Old 12-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #29
Just a member

Quote:
I suspect that will never happen ,I think your Ford 1500 would be the problem

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #30

Sorry I don't understand your comment please elaborate
Old 12-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #31
Canadian Member

Quote:
We have been deliberating the tow for the 8289ws in UK this a quote from one member....,

Rockwood 8289ws is apparently 8866lbs unladen/unmodded. Cargo is 1354lbs, so all-up max weight is 10,220lbs. Or 4,636kg.

This is a tad more than say a Rambler (4,200kg on older model) but that means almost ANY Euro pickup will pull it, such as Navara, Amarok, Wildtrack etc. The Amarok V6 and Wildtrack 3.2 will pull a little easier.*

Irrespective of US/Euro truck debates, every truck has a max possible towing weight. Euro trucks are 3000-3500kgs typically. Some US trucks are the same, and the bigger ones can tow a lot more. This is why many trucks may need uplating and modifying as a 3500kg towing limit is just not quite enough for many fivers.

A US truck that can tow more than the weight of one's fiver 'out of the box' may not need modifying or uplating, but there are other issues with these, tax on importation being one, so some need downplating! Some of this thread has been about total all-up weights and licenses, which is kind of separate.
Frankrose, I recommend that you focus on the payload (load carrying) capability rather than towing (pulling) specs of any trucks you’re looking at.

Are there any clubs over there for owners of U.S.-manufactured 5th wheel camping trailers? Unless there is someone on this forum that’s very familiar with European trucks, the people on a European camper forum may be able to offer you more assistance in picking a tow vehicle than we can on this side of the pond. Even your hitches may be different than over here for all I know. But you’ll get lots of great advice here on how much a 8289WS actually weighs when loaded for camping, and how to maintain a U.S.-manufactured 5th wheel.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #32

The Reese hitch seems to be vogue at the present time, due I guess to short bed.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #33

frankrose, Your OP indicates a problem from square one. You have ordered a 5er in a country that appears to have a limited availability of of tow vehicles, at least not the options we share on this side of the pond. The cart before the horse thing comes to mind here.
Not that you have done anything wrong and it's nothing a deep pocket won't cure. But not having dealerships representing the Big 3 at every turn (as we do here) you have made the quest for the proper TV an uphill climb. As you stated, the cost (transport and taxes ect...) of getting a 2500 size TV into your country makes that an expensive option.
Maybe reevaluate and find a TV that meets expected requirements first. One that is easily serviced and supported with parts and maintenance.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #34

We haul all this with a 2500 gmc 6.2 gas with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D466BE16-4B9C-42BB-A5A5-627F13A4096B.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	158984  
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #35

I have a 2017 8289WS and pull it with a Ram 2500 6.4. I really want to pull the trigger on a Cummings but can't justify it
markspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #36

I pulled mine with a 2017 gmc 2500hd Denali duramax. It pulled effortlessly had power to spare. Got 11 mpg down to Florida from Canada. Very pleased with the new diesel. Well worth the investment besides with all the promotions that go on you can get the diesel option for free. GMC had 20% off MRSP just recently.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Whaaaat?

Good luck!
Middle class access to V8 engines and 3/4 - 1 ton Pick ups happens only in America and in very few places in the world.....
I have a Japanese friend and he said that Toyota have the Tundra only in/for America....
In other places, you need to get the job done with Rangers, S10s and Tacomas and those trucks are considered luxury....
Not too long ago, in a UK Camping magazine the BMW X5 was quoted as one of the best HD towing vehicles.....

So as someone that challenged the American consensus and towed a 23IKSS with a X5 for 12K miles, I would recommend the OP to keep to the numbers and get the smallest truck that he is comfortable/safe with.
Imagine he tows his 5er to Portugal or Italy and then you need to maneuver that F350 in Lisboa or Rome....

A new F150 would/could be considered an overkill for that 5er in the UK but the new ones have very good payload capacity if you order with the HD payload package and, depend on the version, are not so big/long/tall as their big brothers .....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #38

Having a larger towing truck is all well and good, but this does not increase the payload of the 5ver, on the Rockwood 8289ws the payload is not so great, again this can be challenged with respect to holiday period spent away from home against fulltiming , which ever way you look at it the axels are the limiting factor/ manufacturer permitted gross load. One of the issues we have is having a the 5ver fully loaded this then increase the pin weight which impacts of the tow.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuilder View Post
We haul all this with a 2500 gmc 6.2 gas with no problem.
Hi nice looking set up, question with the boat on the back what weight is being placed the 5ver axles? normally the pin weight would I guess10/20% of load of 5ver thus reducing Axle weight,in your case you are reducing the pin weight and increase Axle weight, it would be interesting to no the ball weight of the boat, again guess with 5ver full loaded and boat attached the Axle weight on the 5ver may be over the gross permit able , now applying this in the UK you would no longer be insured and no doubt contravene several laws, unfortunately we have a very perceptible law.
Thanks for sharing your photo.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #40

Truck

How about a small lorry. Volvo, Mercedes. Would take some modifications.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck