Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
IMHO you have quite over killed your TV requirement for an 8280ws..

No such thing. It doesn't matter what the numbers say on a half ton.

Compare the frame, brakes, steering, suspension, axles ( non ifs).
There's much more truck with a 3/4 or 1ton.

Half tons are good for 8k trailers.
Over that, go big.
Oh and btw, the little sticker on the door jam is not just a suggestion.

Off soap box. Just my personal opinion.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK

Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
No such thing. It doesn't matter what the numbers say on a half ton.

Compare the frame, brakes, steering, suspension, axles ( non ifs).
There's much more truck with a 3/4 or 1ton.

Half tons are good for 8k trailers.
Over that, go big.
Oh and btw, the little sticker on the door jam is not just a suggestion.

Off soap box. Just my personal opinion.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
There are many trucks beside the F 350 with less capacity that can handle the job the OP was asking about safely and adequately. You have to pay for and live with the TV you choose. The stated payload numbers were off on the F 250.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #13

Reply to Fivealive

You are falling into the same trap I did early on my research. The chart you referenced is the absolute maximum, and does not represent the actual rating. If you are looking at ordering a TV, look at one similarly equipped on the lot and look at the decal on the pillar. When I was looking at a fully equipped F250 4 x 4 diesel crew cab, the rated load on the decal was 1890 lbs. When I allowed for hitch weight, the weight of my wife and me and other stuff we haul in the truck, there was less than 1500 lbs. available for pin weight. If you are looking at a gas model or other cab configurations or 4 x 2, then you get more load available. As an example, my F350 shows a maximum load of 3800 on this chart. The actual load on the decal is 3390. However, I do believe the load ratings on the F250 are driven by the artificial 10,000 GVWR. I agree the F250 is perfectly capable of towing this trailer and will be much superior to the F150, even the ecoboost, but you may be overloaded against the decal rating. There are different opinions on the forums about whether there are any locations where there is enforcement of the decal ratings. I went with the F350 because I didn't want to be trading trucks again when the wife found a bigger camper she wanted. I did a lot of research on the load question, including comparing the braking systems, axles, springs, etc. between the F250 and F350. There are also a number of comments elsewhere on this forum about beefing up the suspension on F250's because of sagging rear end. You don't see that for F350's.

One problem with the F350 I didn't anticipate was the extra height. With the Rockwood 8280, I am unable to adjust the hitch and pinbox to maintain the 6 inch clearance and level the trailer. The best I can do is about 3" out of level. With the Alko torsion axles, there is no adjustment that can be made there. There are some other strings on this forum addressing fixes to this problem. I went so far as to weigh the individual axles and verified that the rear axle has considerably more weight than the front axle, but is within the maximum specs of the tires and axle. However, I just changed the tires, and upgraded to load range D to give myself a little more margin on the rear axle. I haven't had any handling problems, so at this point, I am just living with it. You probably wouldn't have this problem with the F250.
Camped 36 Days in 2012, 23 Days in 2013, 35 Days in 2014, 30 Days in 2015, 46 Days in 2016, 5 days in 2017.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #14

I also have a F-250 Supercab diesel 6.7. Mine was a "Ford executive vehicle" driven 3,000 miles then sold at a dealer only auction , held once a month in Dearborn, Mi. It was a $ 13,000 dollars savings..= to a new F-150 in price..So glad I made the move to the 250. And I stop for fuel at the Flyin' j or pilot...or Loves' ...or TAs ...Truck stops ...plenty of room there.. You. also want to stop these rigs...go f-250...or f-350 diesel
Old 10-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInRaleigh View Post
There are also a number of comments elsewhere on this forum about beefing up the suspension on F250's because of sagging rear end. You don't see that for F350.
The sag happens with F 350 and many other trucks due to the manufacturers trying to make the ride livable by keeping the truck off the helpers. Doesn't mean the suspension is maxed out. Folks use wedges and airbags to reduce sag not related to overloading.
You experienced issues that I didn't have to deal with by going with the F 350 to tow the same trailer. That is because you over killed the truck requirement. Doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. Just incurred a need for compensating. You had your reasons and they are well justified. These are are factors for consideration and have great value to folks when shared.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello,

You are talking to a experienced 8289WS owner. Ford driver and Diesel convert.

I did to with a 5.5 ft box EcoBoost F150 King Ranch. You will be at CCC or over. No way when loaded for travel will you have enough CCC on the F150. If you have Max Load/Max Trailer tow that gives you more CCC. Here is the clincher. Stability, I put LT tires on that helped a lot. I was never over my rear axle capacity but was always over on payload. I did not run with a full tank of gas, was always worried about weight. I had two time I felt out of control, white Knuckle. High cross winds will do you in. You are towing in the mountains, I never have been your way but have been through the Rockies. Our trailer loaded for travel, 3 weeks of clothes etc weight is 9,500 lbs. Calculated pin weight, weighing truck then trailer attached was 1800 lbs. Before I even put people in the truck or a generator or firewood was loaded.
I hade a King Ranch fully trimmed less payload, just like your Platinum.
The F 150 will pull it just fine. Definitely not enough capacity. Your choice of course.

I was offered a great deal on a F 250. I traded my 2 yr old F150 on a Brand New F 250 that sat on the dealers lot for 8 months.

Wow is a under statement. The first trip was to a Frog rally in Eastern Ontario. The power, stability, handling, turning radius etc. I use the F 250 as a daily driver myself. The cost for fuel for me is 30% less. I have a Super Cab, works for us only DW and small dog, parks well as it is actually 3 inches shorter than the Screw F 150.
Maintenance, bought a plan with the dealer. A good deal actually. Also a extended warranty as I plan on having the truck for 10 years I hope.

My specs on the F 250 included a 6.75 ft box, a Trailer Tow as standard, Camper package, 4 by 4, standard stock Michelin Tires, extra heavy springs front and rear, sparked in bedliner, 6,7 power stroke Diesel, Lariat package with Nav and Sirius.

I use the Revolution on the Rockwood as well, great hitch and works well.

Only you know what you can afford, your daily needs and what suits your needs for your family.

If you have other questions please PM.

All the best

Brian

Just have to say that was a great write up. Some people shame other people on here just for asking questions.
You sir are first class

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.7L
2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
DDT

Thanks to everyone for the great replies, It looks like I'll be saving my pennies for the extra to get the F250.

BTW, it was my wife who said "I think we should get the bigger truck" how rare is that?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great replies, It looks like I'll be saving my pennies for the extra to get the F250.

BTW, it was my wife who said "I think we should get the bigger truck" how rare is that?
If she suggested it you better get to the dealership pronto!!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
beds under 6 ft can easily cause clearance issues, even with slider. Slides back to the point the pin box can contact tailgate. I'm a 8ft bed guy myself
The 5er that the OP is looking at comes with the Reese Revolution pinbox. They work fine with short box trucks. No slider needed.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #20

I just took a quick look at the F150 specs. Good exercise for me as I thought I new everything. Oddly enough I don't. But I know more now.

The heaviest F150 weighs in at a smidge over 5000 lbs empty. The maximum GCWR of any F150 is 17,100 lbs. Subtract the two and that is, theoretically, the maximum you can pull, right around 12K. That said, one would want to look at the precise models to tune these numbers up for a specific truck. But it does mean that an F150 can pull a lot more. This is due to a 2000 lb reduction in the base weight of the vehicle (thanks to aluminum) and some additional beefing up to increase the GCWR. That number is up quite a bit from 2012 (the truck I have). The other interesting thing to me was the highest numbers are on the EcoBoost engines! Wow. One might have thought the V8 would be better. Kudos to Ford.

Capacity and would you want to are two different things. Somebody said to me a long time ago it ain't the go, it's whoa. Stopping is more important than pulling. With a 6K truck (loaded) and a 12K trailer behind, I would feel pretty damn uncomfortable in a military stop scenario even with very good electric brakes on the towed rig. Just seems like a lot of cart pushing the horse. There is a lot of towing technology built into the F150 that will mitigate a bunch of that but physics is still physics: momentum = Mass x Velocity.

Like B and B, I owned the F250 diesel before and pulled a 12K fiver. Didn't feel it. Pulled a 5K trailer and forgot it was there. I now pull a 5K trailer with the F150. Don't notice it except for the reduction in fuel economy. Have done some fairly serious stopping and didn't have a problem. All that said, I'm going crazy trying to convince myself to actually pull a trailer as heavy as the GCWR - truck weight or about 8K.

My bottom line would be no way would I pull a fiver with an F150.

Dang you guys for baiting me into looking at the 2016 specs. Now I might need a new truck as 8K will be nothing for it.

Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle