Old 10-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
DDT

Tow vehicle quandary

We are in a plan over the next year or so to get into a 5th wheel, possibly a Rockwood 8289WS. The first question we have is the tow vehicle. The stats on the FW are going to get are under 10k gross with 15-1600 on the pin.

The two vehicles that we are deciding on are the Ford F150 (with appropriate Max tow/Max Payload) and F250, not to offend Dodge and GM, I've been a Ford guy since my first car. We will camp about 15-20 weekends a year and then a couple of multi week trips. We live in California so any long trip will involve mountains.

I know that the F250 will handle this FW like a dream, and the F150 will be at about 85% of it capacity. We drove both yesterday in Platinum trim and they are both great vehicles. My dilemma is that this will be my daily driver and I frankly like driving the F150 better and it is $10k cheaper.

I know that the F250 would be a superior tow rig, but I'd like to hear from some people who have a setup like the F150 and get some real world experiences. Problems with wind, stopping downhill, power uphill, 5.5 or 6.5 bed, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

beds under 6 ft can easily cause clearance issues, even with slider. Slides back to the point the pin box can contact tailgate. I'm a 8ft bed guy myself

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

I would read though this thread it has lot info about towing difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.
Moving to 2500.....My Experience

Here real good guide to plug weights and get some answers.

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Honestly, you are going to see a mixed bag here. Double check the payload on the F150. Also is it the eco boost you are looking at? I have a friend that tows an 11000 lb fiver with max tow HD/max payload eco boost. He tows in the blue ridge mountains without issue but threatens as biogas the Rockies. He is over the payload but under the GRAWR. You could go gasser with the F250 and get the best of both worlds for you. I used to tow my old tt with an f250 diesel with long bed and crew cab. This was my daily driver to and from work and all over town. I never had any issues and the ride was pretty smooth.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Hello,

You are talking to a experienced 8289WS owner. Ford driver and Diesel convert.

I did to with a 5.5 ft box EcoBoost F150 King Ranch. You will be at CCC or over. No way when loaded for travel will you have enough CCC on the F150. If you have Max Load/Max Trailer tow that gives you more CCC. Here is the clincher. Stability, I put LT tires on that helped a lot. I was never over my rear axle capacity but was always over on payload. I did not run with a full tank of gas, was always worried about weight. I had two time I felt out of control, white Knuckle. High cross winds will do you in. You are towing in the mountains, I never have been your way but have been through the Rockies. Our trailer loaded for travel, 3 weeks of clothes etc weight is 9,500 lbs. Calculated pin weight, weighing truck then trailer attached was 1800 lbs. Before I even put people in the truck or a generator or firewood was loaded.
I hade a King Ranch fully trimmed less payload, just like your Platinum.
The F 150 will pull it just fine. Definitely not enough capacity. Your choice of course.

I was offered a great deal on a F 250. I traded my 2 yr old F150 on a Brand New F 250 that sat on the dealers lot for 8 months.

Wow is a under statement. The first trip was to a Frog rally in Eastern Ontario. The power, stability, handling, turning radius etc. I use the F 250 as a daily driver myself. The cost for fuel for me is 30% less. I have a Super Cab, works for us only DW and small dog, parks well as it is actually 3 inches shorter than the Screw F 150.
Maintenance, bought a plan with the dealer. A good deal actually. Also a extended warranty as I plan on having the truck for 10 years I hope.

My specs on the F 250 included a 6.75 ft box, a Trailer Tow as standard, Camper package, 4 by 4, standard stock Michelin Tires, extra heavy springs front and rear, sparked in bedliner, 6,7 power stroke Diesel, Lariat package with Nav and Sirius.

I use the Revolution on the Rockwood as well, great hitch and works well.

Only you know what you can afford, your daily needs and what suits your needs for your family.

If you have other questions please PM.

All the best

Brian
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
We are in a plan over the next year or so to get into a 5th wheel, possibly a Rockwood 8289WS. The first question we have is the tow vehicle. The stats on the FW are going to get are under 10k gross with 15-1600 on the pin.

The two vehicles that we are deciding on are the Ford F150 (with appropriate Max tow/Max Payload) and F250, not to offend Dodge and GM, I've been a Ford guy since my first car. We will camp about 15-20 weekends a year and then a couple of multi week trips. We live in California so any long trip will involve mountains.

I know that the F250 will handle this FW like a dream, and the F150 will be at about 85% of it capacity. We drove both yesterday in Platinum trim and they are both great vehicles. My dilemma is that this will be my daily driver and I frankly like driving the F150 better and it is $10k cheaper.

I know that the F250 would be a superior tow rig, but I'd like to hear from some people who have a setup like the F150 and get some real world experiences. Problems with wind, stopping downhill, power uphill, 5.5 or 6.5 bed, etc.

Thanks for any help.
Go with the 250 either the gas or diesel. Depending when, where and how much you travel make the choice for gas or diesel.. Just remember you will pay more for the diesel but then how long will you keep it and will you up grade to a larger camper. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

Half ton vs. 3/4 ton

I went through this about a 2 years ago. I was pulling a 9000 lb. fifth wheel with a Silverado 1500. I had the 6.0 V8 power and had added Timbren suspension enhancements in the rear. I was in technical overload on pin weight, and always felt beaten about on I95. I also avoided I40 at Black Mountain, not because of pulling up, but rather fear of braking on the way down. I traded up to an F350 diesel 2 years ago, and it has been a pleasure. Of course there is no comparison to the pulling power, although I understand the F150 eco-boost is better than my Chevy on that. However, the integrated diesel brake makes the down hills a breeze. I only touch the breaks two or three times coming down Black Mountain, and the truck takes care of the rest. The other matter is just the weight difference of the truck. Even with all the towing improvements on the F150, it is still a 5500 lb. truck hauling a 10,000 lb. trailer vs. an 8000 lb truck and a 10000 lb. trailer. Also, if you are concerned about the decal rating, with the Platinum trim, the F250 diesel 4 x 4 only has a little under 2000 lbs. rated load. If you consider 100 lbs. for the hitch, maybe 350 lbs for the driver, passenger and other gear in the cockpit, then most 5th wheels at GVWR will be over weight. This drove me to the F350. With this consideration, the gas version of F250 actually has more load capacity than the diesel.
Camped 36 Days in 2012, 23 Days in 2013, 35 Days in 2014, 30 Days in 2015, 46 Days in 2016, 5 days in 2017.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInRaleigh View Post
I went through this about a 2 years ago. I was pulling a 9000 lb. fifth wheel with a Silverado 1500. I had the 6.0 V8 power and had added Timbren suspension enhancements in the rear. I was in technical overload on pin weight, and always felt beaten about on I95. I also avoided I40 at Black Mountain, not because of pulling up, but rather fear of braking on the way down. I traded up to an F350 diesel 2 years ago, and it has been a pleasure. Of course there is no comparison to the pulling power, although I understand the F150 eco-boost is better than my Chevy on that. However, the integrated diesel brake makes the down hills a breeze. I only touch the breaks two or three times coming down Black Mountain, and the truck takes care of the rest. The other matter is just the weight difference of the truck. Even with all the towing improvements on the F150, it is still a 5500 lb. truck hauling a 10,000 lb. trailer vs. an 8000 lb truck and a 10000 lb. trailer. Also, if you are concerned about the decal rating, with the Platinum trim, the F250 diesel 4 x 4 only has a little under 2000 lbs. rated load. If you consider 100 lbs. for the hitch, maybe 350 lbs for the driver, passenger and other gear in the cockpit, then most 5th wheels at GVWR will be over weight. This drove me to the F350. With this consideration, the gas version of F250 actually has more load capacity than the diesel.
IMHO you have quite over killed your TV requirement for an 8280ws. Your numbers are off for the F 250 payload, check here: http://www.ford.com/commercial-truck...tions/payload/ I have the same trailer as you have and I towed for 2 years with a non-hd F 150 ecoboost which did a fine job of handling the loaded trailer. I had to get a new truck this year and ended up ordering an F 250 with a 6.2 and 4:30 axle because we are thinking about getting a larger 5th wheel. The new truck absolutely does so well you really forget the trailer is hitched. I avoided the diesel because of the TCO and the short daily travel distances. The OP will do great with a PS F 250 with a 4:30 rear end. BTW 5th wheel prep is a good way to go with a compatible hitch, clean and easy.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #9

DTT,

What it comes down to is how well you want to tow your trailer. You can pull a lot with the half ton but you are maxed out on most of the specs. Throw in a little wind or mountains and be ready for white knuckles. We do a lot of 2-3 day weekends and when I hit the road I want to get there. I currently have a 28 ft TT that has a dry weight of 5500 lbs, about 6700 lb loaded up. I pulled it with my 1/2 T suburban just fine. We plan to upgrade to a 35' that is just under 9,000 lbs dry. I didn't like the idea of staying with a half ton since we will be upgrading. The problem is I have too many kids to get into a pickup which keeps me out of the FW market. I bought a 3/4 T suburban. I have always been a duramax fan and very disappointed Chevy never put it in the suburban. Luckily there is a guy down in Florida that swaps the 6.0 gas for a 6.6 duramax. I got that done in June and have loved the diesel ever since. Diesels are made for pulling and would recommend going that direction in a 3/4 T.

2008 Duramax Suburban
2012 Grey Wolf 28BH
Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #10

Go with the F250 diesel and never look back. You won't be sorry. I went from a Titan with tow pac to a Chevy 2500HD Duramax and wish I had done it years ago. Nothing against the Titan, just the 2500HD with tow pac handles like a dream AND gets better mileage both towing and loose.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle