Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

Towing Question

I'm about to drive 1,100 miles to pick up our new (2 year old) 8314SS, with our '07 GMC Envoy. The Envoy is rated at 6,600 lbs, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this combo that they could share? By the way, we're having a weight-distribution and anti-sway system installed (of course). Thanks in advance!
Missoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #2

you will have trouble with that t.v. the trailer weighs 6000 empty. that is not leaving any room for propane, water, and other stuff loaded in the trailer. plus the weight of passengers in the t.v. drive slowly. you will find any wind will push you all over the road. you should look at a t.v. upgrade. that size of trailer i would recommend a 3/4 ton. of course this is my opinion. i am a gm technician. your transmission is going to be working very hard. it will not last. i have a 08 2701ss and tow with a 2500hd duramax. yes my tv is overkill but it tows like the trailer is not even there and will never hurt the truck towing this size. please be carefull.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

I have a 2006 8314ss, it weight is a little over 6600 lbs " if the weight is correct" I tow with a 1997 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton, it has a 350 engine with a 4/10 rear and it tows pretty good but I am close to the boarder line because it is rated for 7500 lbs. Full load in my 8314 is 7910 lbs. and the tongue is 660 lbs. As stated above you will have some issues with the Envoy, and I hate to see that happen, and with a short weel base you will have some handling problems.....Please be careful.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #4

Rent a truck if you cant get a new TV. I towed an 08 2701ss with an 05 Trailblazer....way too small even with Reese Dual Cam...I upgraded to a 2006 Suburban, which is night and day...compared to the Trailblazer...the problem you have is the short wheelbase working against you....the trailblazer is only 113" long and the suburban is over 130"....the trailblazer / Envoy can pull it, but I guarentee it wont be fun...and your hands will hurt from white knuckling the whole way...

Before

After
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese 800lb Weight Dist Bars
Dual Cam Sway Control
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
Mansfield, MA
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #5

If you haven't purchased your hitch yet, look into a Pullrite hitch. The Pullrite hitch pivots near your rear axle and makes towing similiar to a fifth wheel. You will have no sway whatsoever. I've had Pullrite hitches on my tow vehicles since 1993. I had a full size Chevy Blazer with a reese dual cam set-up towing a 27' trailer and had major sway issues. Several attemps by the dealer to change set-ups did nothing. After a couple of years of white nuckle steering I had a Pullrite hitch installed. No sway issues and I was passing semi's and buses without any issues. Now I'm towing with a Chevy Tahoe (similiar to your Yukon) and pulling a 8315BSS with no issues. It's sometimes scary towing with the pullrite because it feels like there's nothing behind me. They are somewhat pricey $2,000 vs ~$600 but it's a small price to pay for the added safety and being completely relaxed when I get to the campground. I'm sure that there are other hitch systems that would also work, but I can't vouch for those. I would say that if you have at minimum a 5.7 engine, 3.42 -3.73 gears and a must have transmission cooler and the Pullrite hitch you are good to go. If your Yukon came with the trailering package you may already have the must have tranny cooler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0115.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	893

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0116.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	894

HAPPY CAMPING
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #6

Now that is a slick hitch system.

I just may have to look into that when I get ready to sell off my 5'er (many years down the road)
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #7

Oh well, I didn't see a Pullrite application for my 07 Expedition, you just about had me sold (since my equalizer isn't actually mine until tomorrow am).
Dale & Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycamper View Post
If you haven't purchased your hitch yet, look into a Pullrite hitch. The Pullrite hitch pivots near your rear axle and makes towing similiar to a fifth wheel. You will have no sway whatsoever. I've had Pullrite hitches on my tow vehicles since 1993. I had a full size Chevy Blazer with a reese dual cam set-up towing a 27' trailer and had major sway issues. Several attemps by the dealer to change set-ups did nothing. After a couple of years of white nuckle steering I had a Pullrite hitch installed. No sway issues and I was passing semi's and buses without any issues. Now I'm towing with a Chevy Tahoe (similiar to your Yukon) and pulling a 8315BSS with no issues. It's sometimes scary towing with the pullrite because it feels like there's nothing behind me. They are somewhat pricey $2,000 vs ~$600 but it's a small price to pay for the added safety and being completely relaxed when I get to the campground. I'm sure that there are other hitch systems that would also work, but I can't vouch for those. I would say that if you have at minimum a 5.7 engine, 3.42 -3.73 gears and a must have transmission cooler and the Pullrite hitch you are good to go. If your Yukon came with the trailering package you may already have the must have tranny cooler.
Attachment 893

Attachment 894

HAPPY CAMPING
If you don't mined me asking, what size is your 8315 and what is your dry weight?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #9

I'd buy a new TV, quick.
The Envoy is way to small for that size TT.
You'll find out as soon as you hook it up to. Even with WD the rear will go way down. And if you do tow with it, in about 25 miles you'll be regretting it.
It may get it rolling, but you still have to stop it and also keep it right behind you.
1973 Airstream Ambassador
Old Town Penobscot 16
gillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #10

I went with a friend in his Buick Rainier (same as Envoy) to get his trailer. It was similar in size and weight to the OP's setup. It was the scariest ride I ever took. The vehicle was way under powered and was thrown around like a rag doll at times. We only went 500 miles but that was enough to convince us both that this was not going to work for towing that trailer. Many have told me that you should figure 10-20% extra capacity in the t.v. for your fully-loaded tt weight. So 6600 x 1.2 = 7920 rating or more for the t.v.
quarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #11

My 8315BSS has a dry weight of 5,817. I would also have to agree that the Envoy is undersize for towing a 8314SS which has a dry weight of 5,971.

Happy Camping
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #12

Our 8315SS (single slide) listed a dry weight of about 5850 in the sales brochure. When we took delivery all of a sudden it was about 6300...500 lbs worth of options I guess. Had the equalizer 12000 installed at the dealer and when I pulled it home I could barelt even feel it. I looked at the pullrite website but couldn't find a model for my TV
Dale & Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #13

Check the trailers gvwr sticker and choose a tow vehicle that can handle that weight with room to spare , the reese straight line hp system is among the tops in the industry, however it relies on a heavy hitch weight to perform as intended 700 - 1000 lbs average. It will not work with light hitch weights. Your dealer should know this !!!!
rockwood mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood