Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Toyota Tacoma towing a GeoPro 19bh capability question

Hi all,

New the forum and currently looking at the geo pro 19bh for the family (myself, wife, and 2 boys - 1 and 3 years of age). Current TV is a 2010 tacoma V6, double cab with tow package (6500 lb gross trailer weight). We really like the layout of 19bh with the bunkhouse (who knows if kids will take to sleeping there, but at least the option is there). My concern is all the posts regarding the Tacomaís towing capabilities and the geo pros tongue weight being on the heavier side once loaded. The trailer dry weight is 3088 lb, base dry hitch weight 360 lb, and ccc 772lb.

My tacoma does have the off-road package and came with a yellow sticker that lowered the payload by 19 lb from 1200 lb. We also have a snug top camper shell (not sure the weight on this but from posts on some tacoma forums they weight ~200-250 lb). Obviously our boys will grow in the future, but currently the total weight for all occupants including the car seats would be under 400 lb. Iíve read on some posts here that once loaded the tongue weight can jump on these geo pros from the stated dry weight up to 700lb plus, which would put us over our payload capacity (another common issue Iíve read with the tacoma).

I wanted to see if anyone has experience or advice in towing with this or similar setup or if we should be considering other options (different tow vehicle or smaller trailer). We live in MT so soft sided pop-ups are pretty much out with the bears. Have considered the Taxa Mantis since we could lower the roof when sleeping at night and would help when towing to reduce wind resistance. This TT sits at a very different price point, but seems very attractive if we could keep the same TV.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Winstonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
Voyager

Welcome to the forum...

DonĎt have any hard numbers for you, but a lesson learned.

Drove my 2004 V6 TRD 4x4 Taco from the east coast to Colorado pulling a small 6x12 enclosed motorcycle trailer (BMW R1200GS and several mountain bikes). Truck was rated to pull the load, but it was a horrible drive. Truck struggled up any incline and the trailer jerked us around the entire trip. Swore my next truck would do better.

My lesson - donít cut the numbers close - error on the side of extra capability.

'18 Rockwood 2703WS
Bob.n.Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #3

Can’t offer anything other than welcome from sunny southeast Arizona!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Can't offer much help but 4 people in the cab plus the topper puts a serious dent in your 1,200lb payload. I'd consider a different tow vehicle that will provide you years and years of good service.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #5

Hi Winston,
I tow a Sonoma 167rb, dry weight is 3129, ccc is 1200 lbs, hitch weight 400 with a 2015 Tacoma crew cab V 6. I use a WDH and passengers are just me and my mother sometimes. Recent trip to Lake Powell was 1700 miles round trip, up hills, and big wind, and every time a semi passed me, it had a tendency to pull me towards it. The Tacoma did ok, I am not at the very top of the limits but I like to have a big cushion of safety. This trip made me want a bigger truck for towing so the drafting doesnít pull me around, and I want to go up a 6% grade faster than 35 mph LOL. My advice is your boys will only get bigger adding more weight and you are at the max. Get a bigger tow vehicle for that trailer, you will feel safer and enjoy the trip more. I am looking at F150ís and the Dodge Ram myself right now.
Lostcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
GeoPro Owner

I have a GeoPro 19QB which is slightly heavier by around 100lbs. I started with a 2011 Tacoma double cab V6. I live in NW Wyoming so lots of steep climbs. Without a leveling hitch the truck squatted badly and this was without a cap on the bed. Pulling over Teton and Togwotee Passes were a struggle and felt like I was really beating up the truck. On flat ground it was ok.

I eventually bit the bullet and got a Tundra with the 5.7 and love it. Big difference in comfort level while towing and the gas mileage hit wasn't as bad as everyone would have you believe.
bsinc1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #7

My Rpod 179 weighs in about 3600 lbs loaded behind my '17 Tacoma 3.5 ltr V-6. The Tacoma generally does a good job; strong head winds or twisting steep grades slow it. I use a WDH and anti-sway bar which help control the combination. Our '07 Tundra 5.7 ltr V-8 tows the trailer with only the anti-sway and I have to remind myself it is back there. My thought is that since your Taco has the tow package your set up would work now. Over time, you might want to look for a bigger tow vehicle. Enjoy!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #8

I just sold a 2010 Nissan Frontier that had similar numbers to the Tacoma ratings.
It pulled my Surveyor fine as long as the road was flat. My Surveyor is similar to the Geo Pro 19 bh.
I ran out speed and power on the grades. I also had a bed cap that took 300 lbs away from my cargo rating. Hitched up and not ready for camping travel, I had 300 lbs left over for cargo and passengers in the Frontier.
You will also quickly outgrow the double cab design with your children. I once owned an extended cab Chevy with the same issues of lack of rear seat room.
The child seats may not fit in the back seat of your Taco.
Do you have mountains or headwinds in Montana?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #9

Winston,

Welcome to the forum! This is THE PLACE for everything you desire to know and sometimes things you would rather not know! Ha ha

Currently driving a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab with towing package rated at 6400 lbs and six-speed manual transmission pulling a 2014 Vibe 6504. Tongue weight somewhere over 400 lbs and total loaded weight north of 4500 lbs. Generally I have the bed loaded with questionable weight and myself and two adults! My Vibe is a bear to pull due to the fact it is single axle and tail heavy(another topic ENTIRELY)! As far as the capabilities of the Tacoma I have no problems as I just gear down and the 2.5 liters and 278 hp kick it in and we blast along at higher Rpmís as needed. I generally keep well below 65 ALWAYS! Like others have posted I think if you are very cautious with how you load the TT and Tacoma you will be fine towing your geo pro 19bh ! Also I think as your kids grow and also take more along for the ride you may want to look to upgrade. Tacomaís are the bomb in my opinion and as long as you are cautious and keep your speeds in check you can manage for the time being! Happy camping!
RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #10

I am currently towing a 2304Ks which is a much boxier trailer than the Geo with a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab. The tongue weight of the trailer is close to 700 pounds and the loaded weight of the trailer is 5300 pounds. It is just the wife and I in the truck. I use a Reese Dual Cam weight distribution hitch and have installed Timbrens to level the load. The truck does fine but I would like a bigger one to make the drive a little more pleasurable. I do feel pull when passed by trucks and do have to struggle a little on steep inclines. Put it in 4th gear to lockout the overdrive and run at higher rpms. It pulled me up the 2 mile 18% grade into Ricketts Glenn last week.
gkehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #11

Tacoma

Hi
I pulled a Rockwood Mini Lite with my Tacoma in the mountains in Tennessee and it had no problems going up or down or stopping. Dry weight is about 1000 lbs more than your looking at. My only issue was the size of the gas tank. Could only go about 120 miles before fillup and you couldnt go much further. That is an issue you will deal with towing with your Tacoma. 7 to 7.5 miles per gallon. If you can deal with lots of stops for gas then I say go for it. Put all the weight that you can at the rear of the camper and all should be OK. There is a healthy following of only tow with the BIG 3 just ignore that. I purchased the Mini Lite knowing I was getting a new truck in the next month or 2 and wanted to see what it would do before making a new purchase. The small tank size made me go with a Tundra. WDH will take care of the sway so that is not an issue as noted pulling a motorcycle in a prior post. Good Luck. Remember you dont need nearly half of what you think you need to take...

Claude
SeaMSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #12

x2 on the gas. I don't see it as much of a problem because I only like to travel about 4 hours a day and don't mind stopping to stretch half way through the trip. I get a little better gas mileage but don't usually drive much over 60 mph. The truck climbs most hills fine at highway speeds.
gkehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #13
Tundra 2014

Towing

Your numbers are adequate, but it could be close on cargo weigh after adding in the WDH weight and weight of propane and battery. Also anything you have in the bed of the truck. The only way to really know what your numbers are is weigh @ a CAT scale w/ everything the way you would camp. I had a Tundra 1794, my cargo cap was only 1360 w/ all the goodies. When I weighed everything, I realized I was over on cargo and rear tire caps by several hundred pounds. My trailer was almost 1K lb. over FR specs, not unusual. I had Timbern's on after my first short trip, big improvement, and we had driven it this way for 2 years on short trips on flat ground.
If you decide to go w/ what you have, a set of Timbern's did make it much more pleasant to tow, reduced the squat and reduced the shock on big bumps. It is the cargo cap that normally is exceeded prior to towing cap. Look at your rear tire load cap also.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #14

Great to see youíre thinking along the right lines. I have a Geo 19FD, and could not be happier with TT choice. Coming up on a year in a few months with 0 issues and lots of miles. As Iíve posted in other places here my Geo with two full tanks and two batteries is #560 w/o my WDH, which is the Anderson (#60). I would have loved to get a Taco, but ended up with a Tundra instead just to get a little fudge factor. Glad I did here in CO, everywhere we go itís up and down by thousands of feet. Sounds like you might be a bit tight, but if you keep your eye on it, thatís a great little truck... if youíre like me ( God forbid!) you would probably want to step up at some point. Great to not have to worry about it. I even put that stupid bike rack back on the front.
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
Grammar Pedant

Two rules for 1/2 tons and below. Know your numbers and don't exceed your ratings.

Dry weights are meaningless. Your GVWR of that trailer is 3,860 lbs and that's the number to use. Figure a solid 13% on your hitch, or 500 lbs. You didn't mention a WDH. I recommend one, particularly since the newer/nicer ones have integrated sway control. You'll like this with short/light TV towing a full profile TT. I'll add 50 lbs for some kind of a hitch setup.

400 lbs seems pretty light for a family of 4, as most adult couples will tip in at 300-350 lbs just themselves. But, I'll take that at face value and add your 250 lb canopy.

500 + 400 + 250 + 50 = 1,200 lbs. We haven't added any bikes, duffel bags, wood, pets, or any other gear ... and you're already overloaded.

Canopies are removable. So, go light on gear in the truck and leave the canopy at home when you tow. Or, either get a smaller TT or a larger TV.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, toyota