Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
I like your set up with the 2504. It is a nice layout but too heavy for us at almost 5000 lbs dry weight. I believe the Durango has tow capacity 6200 lbs, our Traverse only 5200 lbs. I am looking at options for a load distribution hitch and sway control. What did you equip your set up with ?
I just sold my 2012 Mini Lite 2306 and I really loved it. It was a perfect size, but this year I will be taking my Doberman and my little Pekingese. My wife and I are waiting for our toy hauler to come in any day which will have a little more room for the dogs and kayaks, etc.

I pulled my Mini Lite with a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer and used an Equalizer 1000/10000 WDH. I never had a problem with the rear end sagging and never had any problems with sway with everything loaded right up to max.

Wish you were closer, I would make you a good deal on it as I had to move up to the Equalizer 1400/14000 WDH for the new camper. Congrats on the new camper and have fun.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShelton View Post
We use the Equalizer that we had for the Vibe, which we towed with a Highlander. To your point we did have to upgrade our tow vehicle in order to tow the longer/heavier 2504. We have the Hemi Durango so it can tow up to 7200 lbs. It was the smallest big SUV we could find and afford.

I like the equalizer and believe it provides good control, but I certainly feel it on the highway when a big rig passes us. The equalizer should work for your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Shelton. Your sway problems are probably not the result of the Equal-i-zer not working properly. My money is on the short wheelbase of your TV that's causing your sway.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Old 03-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Shelton. Your sway problems are probably not the result of the Equal-i-zer not working properly. My money is on the short wheelbase of your TV that's causing your sway.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

I'm sure you're right and wheelbase was a serious consideration for our setup. We certainly couldn't go any longer with the trailer, nor would I go above the weight of the 2504 with my Durango. I don't feel it's unsafe, but I am very careful and take my time. The "sway" I tend to notice is when an 18 wheeler comes upon me quickly. It's that feeling that you're being sucked over toward the passing truck. It's not significant movement, just a little unnerving when it catches you by surprise. I experienced this with a previous travel trailer that was 4 feet shorter. Guess our next tow vehicle will have to be a truck.

RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2306, rockwood, trailer