Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer Brakes on 2104s or 2109s?

Hello all!

Newbie question here. To date we have only pulled a small 1300 pound trailer with our F-150 and have not needed trailer brakes. Now looking to move up a bit to a Mini-Lite 2104s or 2109s. Can't see anything in the specs re trailer brakes. Are these standard on trailers of this weight, so just need to install a brake controller in the truck? It seems most States and Provinces would require either of these to have trailer brakes as they are around 4800 GVWR.
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

They both have trailer brakes and you will need a controller for sure. Don't leave home without it!

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Site Team

as far as i know, any trailer over 2000lbs. is required to have brakes.
so yes you'll need a controller.
does your truck have the factory tow package? if so, you can buy a plug n play harness.
the Prodigy is the best BC for the money.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #4

The 2104 does not have a S because there is no slide on this model but the 2109s has a slide. You can also look for the 1809s . A slide is a big plus because it give quite a lot more room inside. With your trailer you will have to buy a weight equalizer hitch.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Yup, the Ford does have the tow package, as far as I know. It certainly has the hitch and wiring for lights, and we have been towing small trailers with it. It is a 2005 that we bought used a few years ago. Still has less than 80,000 km on it. I was looking online at brake controllers and saw the Prodigy. I did wonder if I would also want/need an equalizer hitch, more research. With the smaller trailers, they have never moved at all in big wind that I could feel in the truck and nothing when being passed by semi's. However, I would not want too many "white knuckle moments"! The jury is out how I will feel pulling and backing up a "larger" trailer, although I am pretty confident with the horse and travel trailer. The horse trailer has double wheels, but is a very light fiberglass Brenderup, about 1300 pounds. Hubby does not drive due to vision problems, so it is all down to me.

Re: 2104 versus 2109s. We are going to look at a 2109s at a dealer fairly close by, although we would not get that particular one because it does not have the heated tanks and storm windows. We are far-ish north in Canada and like early and late season camping when the crowds are less. Anyway, I am not sure I want to have a "bed in the living room" all the time, although the added floor space is nice. The bathroom on the 2109s also seems really tight compared to the 2104, and I like the 2104 for the murphy bed/sofa which makes the bed disappear, the dinette and the larger bathroom. Also, no slide = less to go wrong. Deciding all this stuff is the fun part! Now I just have to sell our small Trillium "egg" trailer and the horse trailer to help raise funds!

Hmm. reading this over makes me think I should "borrow" a similar sized trailer to try out pulling and backing. Wonder if the dealer would like to hook up and go for a spin?
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Team

check your truck's owner's manual. should have an amount of trailer weight or tongue weight that will require a WDH.
highly recommend a WDH pulling any full-height travel trailer. and get one with sway control.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Yup, the Ford does have the tow package, as far as I know. It certainly has the hitch and wiring for lights, and we have been towing small trailers with it. It is a 2005 that we bought used a few years ago. Still has less than 80,000 km on it. I was looking online at brake controllers and saw the Prodigy. I did wonder if I would also want/need an equalizer hitch, more research. With the smaller trailers, they have never moved at all in big wind that I could feel in the truck and nothing when being passed by semi's. However, I would not want too many "white knuckle moments"! The jury is out how I will feel pulling and backing up a "larger" trailer, although I am pretty confident with the horse and travel trailer. The horse trailer has double wheels, but is a very light fiberglass Brenderup, about 1300 pounds. Hubby does not drive due to vision problems, so it is all down to me.

Re: 2104 versus 2109s. We are going to look at a 2109s at a dealer fairly close by, although we would not get that particular one because it does not have the heated tanks and storm windows. We are far-ish north in Canada and like early and late season camping when the crowds are less. Anyway, I am not sure I want to have a "bed in the living room" all the time, although the added floor space is nice. The bathroom on the 2109s also seems really tight compared to the 2104, and I like the 2104 for the murphy bed/sofa which makes the bed disappear, the dinette and the larger bathroom. Also, no slide = less to go wrong. Deciding all this stuff is the fun part! Now I just have to sell our small Trillium "egg" trailer and the horse trailer to help raise funds!

Hmm. reading this over makes me think I should "borrow" a similar sized trailer to try out pulling and backing. Wonder if the dealer would like to hook up and go for a spin?
True about that comment and that's one reason I opted to get a trailer without a slide. The other reason was the added weight of a slide. Now with that said - slides are really nice and opens up space in a RV for sure. I have enough space in my trailer for me but when there is company the walkway is like a bus aisle - one person at a time. For example: If I am standing at the stove cooking I would need to move out of the way to let the other person by. Even so, this trailer fits my needs.

There are advantages to having a slide and also to not having a slide. Not trying to talk you into having a slide nor talk you out of having a slide. I would recommend viewing as many trailers needed to see what your choices are to help determine what would be a good fit for your needs.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

The slides on these models like the 2109s and the 1809s and 2502s are quite basic in mechanical and not much can go wrong. The slide rides on rollers and is powered by a Shawniga gear motor on a shaft. There is no hydraulics to leaks and if in case the power is all dead including the battery you can control it manually. It is a very simple basic system. Specially if the trailer is small like all the minilites a slide is a big plus for room inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05026.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	15998  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #9

One of the reasons DH and I chose our 2109S is we can get to the bed, sofa, kitchen and bath very easily with the slide closed! Super nice feature!

Happy trailering with whatever you get!

Suggestion for selling your Trillium---- if you're not already registered on www.fiberglassrv.com, go to that website and sign up. You can then place your classified ad. (It's a great forum for all-fiberglass rv owners.)
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

I noticed you state the 2109S does not have heated tanks. That option was included with ours, so it is available.

Depends on what the dealer has on the lot and what options have been added at the factory.
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, brakes