Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Trailer cover

I'm thinking of a cover for my trailer. I've heard good and bad. Any help with this.
oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

You'll get mixed feedback on this. I used a cover on my Rockwood Roo for several years and it seemed to help protect the finish and the roof. However, the covers start to deteriorate after about 3 years and some folks have reported some rubbing damage to their trailers when the wind "flaps" the cover around. You also have to take steps to cover things like the rain gutter extensions and sharp points on your awning so the cover doesn't tear. I considered a cover for my fiver but did not look forward to wrestling it on and off. Fortunately, I found a local U-Haul storage lot that has covered (shed roof) RV spaces and so far I believe that it is helping by keeping ice/snow off the roof, keeping it clean as the dirt from the roof doesn't run down the sides in the rain, and has some UV protection even though not fully enclosed.

Bottom line--if you will have some extra hands to help, and have a decent stepladder, my opinion is there is some value to the cover absent another option. Be sure to get one that is "breathable."
tnclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #3

I have covered all my trailers. I only covered them during a long periods of no camping mainly during the winter months. It helps greatly saving the roof and protects your decals from weathering. It is true you will need to protect the cover from sharp items on your trailer such as gutters. I use 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe insulators. Depending on how strong the wind gets in your area you will still get some holes from the cover rubbing on areas of the trailer. But if you get a few small holes the cover still does it's job.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

I had a motorhome before this fifth wheel. I kept it covered all the time unless I was going to be leaving the following weekend. The unit was almost 17 years old last July when we sold it and the graphics had very little edge curl on the hood. It was not parked in an area where high winds were a problem and I used an Adco Tyvek cover. I went through a couple over the years but I feel it was money well spent.

Jim
jeepman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

First year w/the trailer and cover. Bought an Adco tyvek For winter storage and had a few good wind storms so far. Covered the gutters and door stops w/styrofoam and all is well. Was a good fit but took 2 of us to put it on Easily. 8' ladder really helps. I think a good investment.
bgarbo is offline   Reply With Quote