Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Originally Posted by stinglejet View Post
We had the same thing lucky for us are grandson was inside we ordered another key an put in the gulve box in the truck because we can use the key pad on the truck if the truck keys are in the campeer
This is a motorhome, so I have to hide it outside. I have a cat that I leave inside (with the A/C if needed) while I'm out boating/fishing. I notify the campground/state park camp host about that fact and also tell them where the key is hidden, in case something happens to me and they need to get in. You never know, better safe than sorry!

KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Funny. I love the its your fault deal...I laughed out loud. I(everyday) have a set of keys in both front pockets... The only keys that are not duplicated are the house keys.. usually someone is there to let me in...(I could get in if i wanted to)

It is called getting old

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Another adventure awaits!
had the same thing happen

Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
Has anyone had the door lock just by closing ? On the weekend, I shut the door to the camper because of bugs. The screen door was attached to it. I do not remember shutting it hard. when I tried to reopen, the door was locked and would not open. Naturally both sets of keys were inside. All windows were shut. The camp owners did not have a master key (one owner works at a RV dealer but forgot her master keys at work). So I found a family with 3 young kids. All different sizes. 2 of 3 were ablt to crawl through laundy shoot in bathroom that comes out under sink and although one was too young to understand, his older borther was able to just pull the handle and open the door. How the heck dit the door lock ? Not the dead bolt, the top one. Time for a 3rd set of keys attached to triler somewhere !

Mike - Ottawa
Hi mike
Had the same thing happen to us, but we do not have a laundry shoot ... Fortunately husband was able to open a slide out window, that had not latched properly when I closed windows moments before - thankfully, he ended up boosting me thru window - comical sight to be sure and not too pretty ... But after some wiggling and some interesting words was able to get in and then open door ... We now have a key located outside in case of emergencies ... Lesson learned
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist
When our fiver was 3 months old we were locked out, with the keys right there in my hand, because a tumbler was jammed up inside the deadbolt. Key or not, the door wasn't going to open.

We called a locksmith who rumbled out about 10 pm with the loudest mufflers I have ever heard on a Chevy Suburban. Wound up driving a screwdriver into the deadbolt lock and forcing it.

Forest River sent me a new lockset and reimbursed the locksmith bill.
Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
About 20 years ago, my dad came out to visit in his motorhome and locked himself out. We called The Lock Doctor. It took him about 2 minutes with his lock picks to open the lock. I made a comment to him that Jim Rockford (Rockford Files), a mere detective, would have had it open in about 15 seconds. For some reason, he didn't see the humor in my comment.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
It happened to me too. At night but not too late. Luckily there was an agile neighbor with a ladder who crawled in and opened the door. There is now a key in one of those magnetic key holders hidden outside my motorhome. My little motorhome and it's contents aren't worth someone going into a major key search!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #17
Happened a couple of times with us. What happened is the wife unlocked the door, and then turned key back to remove instead of just removing the key. Open the door from inside, close behind you and guess what? Locked out!
dpowli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
We locked ourselves out one time . You can accidentally turn the key in the top lock when you remove the key with the door open and lock the lock and then close the door later and it is locked.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #19
First trip out this spring we drove 180 miles to campground and when we went in to check in discovered I no longer had the Key ring with RV keys on it. We figure I pulled it out of my pocket with the pickup keys when we fueled. Called the rescue service and went ahead to the campsite and cooled our heels for a couple of hours until lock guy showed up. Rescue service paid for his trip but I had to pay for the keys he made. They never turned up at the place I fueled.

It will never happen again though....

I have a set on my pickup key ring as well as another set inside the pickup, another set in my wife's purse and also a set in our car (in case we go by in the car to drop something off at the storage lot.)

Think I am covered.....

I will never forget the feeling and the frustration when we realized we could not get in though......

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #20
I had this happen once at my park model. The FIC lock was easy pick, my shed was open, used a brad nail and small screwdriver to jiggle the tumblers.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote

door, trailer