Old 01-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
KnP

Travel Trailer Outside Temperature Limitations

The manual says nothing and it should about how cold can be outside. Let us say, do not camp if drops at 30 Deg F.

Emailed Forest River and one of the Reps says 30F. Because of the risk of water freezing even with heating pads on the tanks. That means that you can go lower if you camp dry?

To me, that is important information if you are camping in the fall and the temp drops unexpected.

What you guys say is let us say... the lowest temp.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

At the campground we have a seasonal site the water is turned off Oct 15th - April 15th. That doesn't stop lots of people from using their campers for weekends when temps drop far below 30. They just make sure there's enough propane to run the furnace.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

We have camped with nighttime temps into the mid 20's. We leave our fresh water system winterized and use water jugs for our water needs. We also stop using the black/grey water system and stick to the campground facilities. For heat we usually only need the electric space heater but supplement it with gas as needed.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
KnP

Been reading quiet a bit about winter camping. Seems doable depending on site and if you are prepared correctly. One of the things that I bought is a dehumidifier. The camper is not too big, a portable one should be good enough. I say, $50 in Amazon Prime is cheap insurance against mold.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

I've camped with lows in the teens and used my fresh/waste water system without issue. There are a lot of variables involved regarding how well your camper is insulated and where your water and drain lines are located. There is quite a bit you can do to improve your cold weather tolerance if so inclined.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

We camped in the low teens a few times. We use a oil filled heater and the furnace as a back up. We take shower at the campground facilities. We do use the black tank and rv antifreeze to flush the toilet. So no freezing > It great camping because not many camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12465849_10203920391650007_2114929712838754875_o.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	97782  
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

If your setup in dry camping mode ( water off and lines drained )you can camp in just about any average outside cold temp scenario as long as you have electric to operate the propane furnace, electric blankets and space heaters

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
KnP

So we can say is the water freezing is perhaps the biggest issue. I like a good challenge but be smart about it. Not this year but perhaps next.

By the way, how the Propane Heater works. For what I read, seems to enhance the moisture inside. My understanding is the combustion is vented outside. Another thing that I read was about the stove. The humidity is from the food been cooked, not the burned propane, is that correct or is both.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
So we can say is the water freezing is perhaps the biggest issue. I like a good challenge but be smart about it. Not this year but perhaps next.

By the way, how the Propane Heater works. For what I read, seems to enhance the moisture inside. My understanding is the combustion is vented outside. Another thing that I read was about the stove. The humidity is from the food been cooked, not the burned propane, is that correct or is both.
The humidity comes from the food being cooked, people and animals breathing, wet towels and so on. Warm air can hold more water vapor than cold so there is more water vapor available that can condense on the cold windows or walls. By keeping the top vent open the warmer moist air has a place to escape reducing the interior condensation.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
KnP

Cool, thanks.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer