Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

trifold sofa in 2015 Rockwood 8289

Purchased this beautiful couples RV last year. Love it! But we are very disappointed in the trifold sofa. We have visitors occasionally and there could not be a more uncomfortable sofa bed in existence. One visitor resorted to sleeping on the floor for his last night. It is ridiculous that this was made so poorly - There are huge gaps that your body falls into and a hard steel bar that digs into you. We even put a 2 inch foam topper on it, but it did not help. We wish they had stuck with the old style fold out innerspring - they were not the best, but they were so much better than this. Is there any way to convince Forest River to revert to these? If they work in home sofas why not RV sofas?
Is it possible to convert the inner workings of our trifold sofa to a fold out innerspring style? Our only other option is to purchase a high end topper mattress - but this will use a lot of storage, and may still be too uncomfortable. Any thoughts?
philrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
WFD

The 8289 used to come with an air mattress up until a couple years ago. our 2014 has an air mattress. Seems they had a fair number of these that developed leaks, thus causing them to go with what you now have. The air mattress, we were told by a dealer gave people grief if they were not careful when packing it away after deflating. Ours has served us well for a couple years now and we are very careful when packing it away, making sure it is folded back up properly and stored within the bag that it comes with. We were also told to not leave it out in the trailer over the winter so when we store the trailer for winter that air mattress is brought into the house.
My thought is if the day comes where it springs a leak, I will simply go out and replace it with it another. In the meantime it gives a pretty decent sleeping surface compared to the thin crappy mattress they are now using, as in yours.
I would go out and buy a decent quality air mattress if I were you and it's easy to store. Our air mattress is a queen and yours probably would be as well.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

We had a 2014 8289ws with the air mattress sofa. It actually wasn't bad to sleep on and easy to inflate and deflate. Now we have a 2017 8299bs with the Tri fold sofa. Had my adult son and daughter in law camp with us. Opened up the sofa and it was an immediate hell no. Maybe there is something wrong with the sofa but the middle cushion and the one that folds down from the back is 2 inches lower than the end. They slept on an air mattress on the floor. There is no way you could sleep on that without a major backache in the morning. Now we are trying to figure out what to do to level the surface out. The sofa when is being used as a sofa is comfy as all get out Sleeping on it not so much.
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

folding couch in 2016 8281

We bought a 4" memory foam pad and keep it under our bed. Hoping that when and if it comes time to use our couch bed that it'll be more comfortable than it is without.
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Our 2013 8289ws came with the air mattress sofa. The pathetic original air mattress only lasted a couple of trips but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I replaced it with a decent air mattress (purchased from Amazon) and am satisfied. I have found that even with a better air mattress, I prefer to just place it on the floor rather than the sofa foldout (far more stable and less chance of puncture).

So based on my experience, I suggest you keep your sofa and just buy a decent air mattress to use on the floor.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood