Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

Trouble getting truck hitch to up ??

I have a Pull Rite 5th Wheel hitch, with a 2012 Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature Series (8280ws). This has never happened to me in the past, no matter what I did I just could not get the jaws to engage onto the pin. I seemed like the pin was hitting a hard stop. This hard stop could be moved manually, It seems I'm missing something obvious !!! Any Ideas out there ????
Thanks
Marc
kidhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #2

Have you checked the latch to make sure it did not close, you may need to pull the release and re-open it before hooking up. Also the keeper for the latch could be broken and not holding it open while hooking up.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

Seen that with a Reese Revolution 15 K also. Being level helps; Also changing the angle of approach slightly may help.
2001 F250 CC 4X4 SB PSD/2014 8289WS
dtomstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Wedge

If you're using a Revolution hitch, your wedge is hitting one side of the hitch, stopping you from seating the pin box in the hitch. Adjust your approach angle as dtomstant said.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks to all who responded !! I have gotten some very good info from all, and will use it wisely. Now that I think back on Sunday morning, it may have been a case of to many cooks spoil the stew !!!! There were a couple of "helpers" that were in a bit more of a hurry than I was !!!!
Thanks Again
Marc

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB / 2012 ROCKWOOD 31' SIG SERIES ULTRA LITE
kidhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhoule View Post
Thanks to all who responded !! I have gotten some very good info from all, and will use it wisely. Now that I think back on Sunday morning, it may have been a case of to many cooks spoil the stew !!!! There were a couple of "helpers" that were in a bit more of a hurry than I was !!!!
Thanks Again
Marc

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB / 2012 ROCKWOOD 31' SIG SERIES ULTRA LITE
When I first got my Pullrite, had a few folks trying to "line me up" to connect...was a failure...Once I got them to leave, I hitched up the first go at it , make sure hitch level is not to high when climbing the saddle plate when backing up and try to be straight on to the hitch as possible.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Lol, never a good idea to have a "Helper" when lining up, I have a small piece of reflective tape I mounted on the camper and another piece on my tailgate. when I back up and the two pieces come together looking out my back window I know my ball is directly under the receiver hitch.
1" x 1" piece centered directly behind my hitch on camper, and 1"x1" piece centered on the inside of my tailgate inline with my ball hitch.
it works for me,
Camping fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Sometimes helpers can do more harm than good. I had help getting into a tight spot that required a tight turn while backing up and missing other RVs and being told that it was impossible to jack knife the trailer into the trailer. I knew otherwise from previous experience with another helper.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

I have a pull rite and had the same problem replaced 2 springs, latch, and locking piece $50 from pull rite solved problem. To check yours just remove the two pins on top of hitch.
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #10

I learned to line up accurately with the hitch center and position the pinbox about 1 inch below the hitch plate when level so the pinbox slides up on the plate. Then I very slowly back into the pinbox. Works every time. Avoid distraction from others, they cause most errors.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, truck