Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

Truck and 5th wheel clearance

I finally finished adjusting my 5th wheel hitch and pin-box on my 8288SS to get it level when towing. According to my calculations, I am about 1/2" to 1" nose high but that is without gear in the bed, passengers in the cab, clothing loaded or any water in the holding tanks.

As I understand it, the desired minimum clearance between the bed rails of the truck and 5th wheel is 6". After leveling, I have an average clearance of 5.75". I am thinking that a 1/4" is nothing to worry about but I thought that I would ask what others think.

Thanksfor looking,
Tom G

tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Head Rambler

I wouldn't worry about ". Of course you always want to be aware of the clearance whenever you approach a place that's not level so you don't make contact between the bed and overhang.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #3

Never trust the gap

I am in agreement with Bama. I don't know my measurement, but you should always be cautious and pay attention to it when changing elevation. I used to tow a 40' Vintage trailer with no issues. The current rig nearly pinched my bed leaving the driveway. Never assume.

Then again, I'm the guy who checks every pin and lock top to bottom on my hitch because my turnover ball was not pinned one time.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNiq View Post
Then again, I'm the guy who checks every pin and lock top to bottom on my hitch because my turnover ball was not pinned one time.
Now that would be truly scary. I have a B&W turnover ball and companion hitch. I am now adding that to my list of things to check
Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

It is/was B&W

I've always had B&W and that is what it was. The back story is I stood the ball up and hooked up to an equipment trailer. My brother was driving our John Deere up on the trailer and it rared up with the ball still in the hitch. I didn't pin it under the bed. It came up about 4' then he hit the brakes and the trailer slammed the ball through the bed. It only stopped when the trailer side hitch bottomed out and the trailer leveled off on the dual tandem axles. Good thing it missed the fuel tank. It was just a few inches in front of the hitch hole. So much more could have been damaged.

It's funny now but Always check that lever. You just never know.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

YEP! Definitely on the list. May even start a check 2x list.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
I finally finished adjusting my 5th wheel hitch and pin-box on my 8288SS to get it level when towing. According to my calculations, I am about 1/2" to 1" nose high but that is without gear in the bed, passengers in the cab, clothing loaded or any water in the holding tanks.

As I understand it, the desired minimum clearance between the bed rails of the truck and 5th wheel is 6". After leveling, I have an average clearance of 5.75". I am thinking that a 1/4" is nothing to worry about but I thought that I would ask what others think.

Thanksfor looking,
Tom G
You will be fine with 5.75" clearance.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #8

A controlled low speed test over an uneven surface while turning will set your mind at ease. 5.75" should be fine. I've bumped a couple of times at 5", but never had any damage even over very rough ground.

I dragged my trailer though my hilly front yard and down the rough path to the back pasture. These conditions simulate pulling across a bad dip at a truck stop or the worst camp site I can think of (which was in my home state of Tennessee).

I think you will be fine. Still that controlled low speed test over uneven surfaces will let you know what you can do without damaging truck or trailer.

With my current truck/hitch/trailer combination, my clearance on flat ground is also 5.75" and the trailer is level. It has passed the test over the front yard and down the road to the back pasture. I don't worry because I tested this configuration.

Kenh
Old 10-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

I have 8 inches minimum and 8.5 at the front, lowering my hitch tomorrow so we will sew where we are at. I used to have 5 inches on the F 150 and 7 inches on the F 250. I travel in rustic parks with rough roads and never hit.
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

I have 6 inches and bumped bad but then again we camp in the back country off of some gnarly dirt roads.

I'm going to go to 8 inches but after a lift on the camper.

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel