Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Truck and 5th wheel clearance

I finally finished adjusting my 5th wheel hitch and pin-box on my 8288SS to get it level when towing. According to my calculations, I am about 1/2" to 1" nose high but that is without gear in the bed, passengers in the cab, clothing loaded or any water in the holding tanks.

As I understand it, the desired minimum clearance between the bed rails of the truck and 5th wheel is 6". After leveling, I have an average clearance of 5.75". I am thinking that a 1/4" is nothing to worry about but I thought that I would ask what others think.

Thanksfor looking,
Tom G
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I wouldn't worry about ¼". Of course you always want to be aware of the clearance whenever you approach a place that's not level so you don't make contact between the bed and overhang.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

Never trust the gap

I am in agreement with Bama. I don't know my measurement, but you should always be cautious and pay attention to it when changing elevation. I used to tow a 40' Vintage trailer with no issues. The current rig nearly pinched my bed leaving the driveway. Never assume.

Then again, I'm the guy who checks every pin and lock top to bottom on my hitch because my turnover ball was not pinned one time.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNiq View Post
Then again, I'm the guy who checks every pin and lock top to bottom on my hitch because my turnover ball was not pinned one time.
Now that would be truly scary. I have a B&W turnover ball and companion hitch. I am now adding that to my list of things to check
Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #5

It is/was B&W

I've always had B&W and that is what it was. The back story is I stood the ball up and hooked up to an equipment trailer. My brother was driving our John Deere up on the trailer and it rared up with the ball still in the hitch. I didn't pin it under the bed. It came up about 4' then he hit the brakes and the trailer slammed the ball through the bed. It only stopped when the trailer side hitch bottomed out and the trailer leveled off on the dual tandem axles. Good thing it missed the fuel tank. It was just a few inches in front of the hitch hole. So much more could have been damaged.

It's funny now but Always check that lever. You just never know.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

YEP! Definitely on the list. May even start a check 2x list.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
I finally finished adjusting my 5th wheel hitch and pin-box on my 8288SS to get it level when towing. According to my calculations, I am about 1/2" to 1" nose high but that is without gear in the bed, passengers in the cab, clothing loaded or any water in the holding tanks.

As I understand it, the desired minimum clearance between the bed rails of the truck and 5th wheel is 6". After leveling, I have an average clearance of 5.75". I am thinking that a 1/4" is nothing to worry about but I thought that I would ask what others think.

Thanksfor looking,
Tom G
You will be fine with 5.75" clearance.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

A controlled low speed test over an uneven surface while turning will set your mind at ease. 5.75" should be fine. I've bumped a couple of times at 5", but never had any damage even over very rough ground.

I dragged my trailer though my hilly front yard and down the rough path to the back pasture. These conditions simulate pulling across a bad dip at a truck stop or the worst camp site I can think of (which was in my home state of Tennessee).

I think you will be fine. Still that controlled low speed test over uneven surfaces will let you know what you can do without damaging truck or trailer.

With my current truck/hitch/trailer combination, my clearance on flat ground is also 5.75" and the trailer is level. It has passed the test over the front yard and down the road to the back pasture. I don't worry because I tested this configuration.

Kenh
kenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have 8 inches minimum and 8.5 at the front, lowering my hitch tomorrow so we will sew where we are at. I used to have 5 inches on the F 150 and 7 inches on the F 250. I travel in rustic parks with rough roads and never hit.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

I have 6 inches and bumped bad but then again we camp in the back country off of some gnarly dirt roads.

I'm going to go to 8 inches but after a lift on the camper.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Well my wife and I just got back from our latest outing since I made the leveling adjustments and everything went very well. My biggest worry was the last leg of the trip where there is a steep up and over a set of railroad tracks and a ditch at the entrance of the property where we were camping. Fortunately though neither seemed to pose any issue and the closest it ever got to touching was about 2.5".
The other added benefit was the ride. Leveling the trailer seemed to remove a lot of the chucking and my braking felt like it was a little improved also.

Thank you everyone for your help,
Tom G
Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #12

1" high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post

Thanksfor looking,
Tom G
I'm glad you wrote about this. I posted something no long ago. I recently bought a 8289WS my nose is about 1". I don't like it! But I have 6" clearance from truck to fifth wheel and they told me "DO NOT CHANGE IT"
With the nose high I don't think the fifth wheel ride smooth. But if I lower it, I'm going to have 5" clearance.
Any more opinions?
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
I'm glad you wrote about this. I posted something no long ago. I recently bought a 8289WS my nose is about 1". I don't like it! But I have 6" clearance from truck to fifth wheel and they told me "DO NOT CHANGE IT"
With the nose high I don't think the fifth wheel ride smooth. But if I lower it, I'm going to have 5" clearance.
Any more opinions?
Lower the truck or raise the trailer.
taller tires on the trailer or shorter ones on the truck.
You could reduce the spring pack, or cut a coil off you could install shorter axle blocks.

There are lift kits for trailers.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #14

Don't think so. Thanks for the idea. My truck and trailer are brand new.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #15

Hman, in my opinion, anything within an inch is level enough. It is very hard to get closer and not worth the frustration. My current rig is exactly 1" high in the front and compared to my last rig that was level (by luck), I don't notice any difference pulling. I would rather have at least 6" at the tailgate than be perfectly level.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I just dropped my hitch 1 1/4 inches to to more level. I have a F 350 with Rockwood 8289WS with lift kit. I am not 1 inch high and have 7 inches of bed clearance. Leaving as is for now.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
Any more opinions?
I am glad that the information was helpful. But to be clear, from where I started to where I am at now I have dropped 5" and as I said, I am still 1/2" to 1" nose high. The last adjustment dropped the nose 3" alone. So when I say that the ride, braking and chucking is improved. I attribute that mostly to the front wheels of the 5th wheel now carrying their share of the weight vs prior. Additionally, for me, I think being a bit nose high is beneficial in that when a hard braking situation occurs and the 5th wheel nose dives, pushing the rear of the truck downward. Having that inch of travel downward before the trailer goes out of level, IMO improves the ability of the trailer to have all 4 wheels brake efficiently and slow the vehicle.
As most people will attest, all vehicles are unique when towing, that being said, even though I feel that lowering the nose improved the ride and braking, I am still contemplating ways to improve it. My latest research is leading me to consider an air-ride kingpin pin-box such as this in the Spring of next year.
http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-...ur1hoCIc7w_wcB
My point of this is that, even though dropping the nose helped with my ride comfort and braking, the improvement wasn't high on the WOW factor scale and is the reason I am still contemplating spending $1k on a air-ride kingpin pin-box.

I hope this clarifies my previous statement and I wish you the best in your adventures.

Thanks for looking,
Tom G
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #18

I think you replied to my original posted a month or so ago Scott. And you are correct! It just bothers me when I see the front higher. I think it's also my truck. I have a 2015 Ram 2500. It's high in the back. More than other trcuks.
Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNiq View Post
I've always had B&W and that is what it was. The back story is I stood the ball up and hooked up to an equipment trailer. My brother was driving our John Deere up on the trailer and it rared up with the ball still in the hitch. I didn't pin it under the bed. It came up about 4' then he hit the brakes and the trailer slammed the ball through the bed. It only stopped when the trailer side hitch bottomed out and the trailer leveled off on the dual tandem axles. Good thing it missed the fuel tank. It was just a few inches in front of the hitch hole. So much more could have been damaged.

It's funny now but Always check that lever. You just never know.
A very good friend hitched up his 5er, then got called away for something. He forgot to check the hitch, the king wasn't in all the way, the lever was not secured and the locking pin was not in....
The family got in the truck and the first braking right turn the 5er comes out of the hitch and lands on the truck bed and tailgate! Tailgate and bed are toast, damaged to the left front of the 5er. Fortunately, all the family is OK!
I have heard that dumb bells like to pull the locking pin and release kin pin levers when 5er's are unattended, so I always check EVERYTHING when I have been away from the rig.
Safety First!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice View Post
A very good friend hitched up his 5er, then got called away for something. He forgot to check the hitch, the king wasn't in all the way, the lever was not secured and the locking pin was not in....
The family got in the truck and the first braking right turn the 5er comes out of the hitch and lands on the truck bed and tailgate! Tailgate and bed are toast, damaged to the left front of the 5er. Fortunately, all the family is OK!
I have heard that dumb bells like to pull the locking pin and release kin pin levers when 5er's are unattended, so I always check EVERYTHING when I have been away from the rig.
Safety First!

That's why I put a pad lock on my hitch levers.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel