Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Captain Capps
Send a message via Skype™ to silica
TT vs 5th wheel

I am not experienced with TT or 5th wheel advantages or cons. I traveled all all around th e US with a forest river Lexington GTS PULLING a ford escape, but now want to either purchase a TT or 5th wheel. When I talk to dealers or read the forum it appears TTS are not safe to pull and are dangerous. If TTS are as unsafe as they are they have such a poor reputation why does FOREST RIVER still manufacture them. I've read the forum on TT sway and problems with being blown off the road by trucks on the interstate with great apprehension. I would like to hear from owners of both types of rvs.
My experience with the Lexington class B was a wonderful 11 month tour but found the interior noise of plates and pans rattling while on the road a real pain. Truckers also pushed the rv around as they passed by. The other problem was getting stuck when I went into dead ends and couldn't back up with tow vehicle attached.

silica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
(Dry Huunday)
A properly outfitted TT and tow vehicle isn't anymore unsafe than a 5th wheel(not saying a fiver is unsafe). I have towed fivers and I will say they towed great. I experience zero sway issues with my TT even on the interstates with big rigs flying by. My combo is very comfortable to drive and pretty much stress free.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
I have never felt unsafe with my TTs. Yes, there is a little sway when trucks pass, but that comes with the territory and I have never had so much sway that it felt dangerous. If you have your truck and trailer set up right it is just fine.

I like having a TT because I can still throw things in the bed of the truck when traveling.

As long as you have your tow vehicle and trailer set up properly it is just personal preference. There are pros and cons to each.

2015 Evo 2700
2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
I've owned and towed both. You can get sway in both but much less so in the 5er. My older 26' TT never had an equalizer and I had zero issues.

The fiver is a shorter set up with hitch and trailer over the truck bed (length comparatively). The TT leaves your bed free for other items.

I prefer a 5er. I personally go for layout over type. I looked at both TT and 5er and a TT was my first choice. Money was much better on the 5er and I went that route.

2014 Silverback 29RE, 2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Hemi 6.4 auto w/ airbags, B&W Companion. Saltwater boats and rum like any good pirate.

Loose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
I am with EVO I went from a 26 foot TT to a 32 foot 5er, I had some sway where passing a semi and with the 5er no sway at all. You can buy sway controls to mitigate some of that. a 5er can turn around pretty sharp but I would buy a long box as getting out to slide the hitch is a pain. There is a auto slide out there that gets good reviews. I miss not having the bed space in the truck.
Mike, Lisa and Jake
2002 Ford F250 CC 7.3
2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
5th wheel is faster to hitch, tows better, and typically will have more storage than a TT. You do loose bed space in a pickup truck with a 5fh wheel.
Fivealive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #7
with a TT, you need a quality weight distribution hitch with sway control, since the pivot point between the truck and trailer is way behind the axle and not directly over it. If done right, very safe. If done wrong, very dangerous.
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
I've had two TT's (24' and 28') with a good weight distribution hitch and cam action weight distribution bars. Some prefer the friction anti-sway, but I'll swear by the cam action (Reese is what I use). I've had no "sway", both the TT and the tow vehicle moved slightly (if ever) as if it were a single unit. I never felt unsafe. We just ordered a fifth wheel as it's time for us to move up to a larger unit and I understand the 5er is easier to pull than a TT when you get past 30' or so.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
You still have bed storage with a 5er, it just can't stick up past the top of the bed.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
The big difference is the size of the truck needed to safely pull 5th wheels. You will probably feel being "pushed" by tractor trailers with any RV. I've had no sway issues with my trailer; just spend time making sure you have the right set-up.

2013 Tracer 240 AIR
2014 Silverado 1500
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, wheel