Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #1

TV concerns ???

Just came back from our first trip in our new Windjammer. Trip went really well, everything worked on the camper and good times had by all. The only concern was my tow vehicle. F250 Gasser w/ 5.4 and 373 gears. The TT towed great on flat land, however on grades the 5.4 was screaming ,slowed down some but still pulled the hill. I was told by the dealer that the 3065w Windjammer is 1/2 ton towable.( imagine that ) Empty weight is a tad over 7000 lbs. Am I expecting too much ? or is my f250 with 150,000 miles just getting tired. Another concern was visibility, even with the mirrors extended I was unable to see to the right side ( passenger side ) beyond the trailer, I just stayed in the right lane anyway, however I have a really bad blind spot to the right rear. I know most of these things are to be expected, however it starts to look like my trips need to be north and south rather than east to west across the mountains. Thanks in advance Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

It's unfortunately the nature of the gasser beast, when climbing hills the engine is most efficient at its max horsepower point which is in the 5,000rpm range. It sounds awful, but I doubt there's anything wrong.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
It's unfortunately the nature of the gasser beast, when climbing hills the engine is most efficient at its max horsepower point which is in the 5,000rpm range. It sounds awful, but I doubt there's anything wrong.
I have pulled from FL to Goshen in the Appalachians over to Missouri thru the Ozark Mtns, and back thru the Smokeys to Concord and never get over 3000 rpm with a 5.3L Silverado and a 3.23 rear end. Glenn Gurzcyk followed me to Goshen last year, so ask him how the gasser did. I don't even try to go 55-60 in the mountains because semi's sure don't.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Not worth it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

I didn't get to 5000 rpm, usually got to around 4200 at the top of the hill. I am not interested in doing any land speed records, I am comfortable towing at 55 mph and sometimes a lot slower on curves. I am semi retired and NOT in any hurry. So I guess it sounds like its ( the 5.4 ) doing what is supposed to do, I am towing with the overdrive off. So when the DW states it sounds like the engine is coming apart, I'll just tell her "That's just power honey ", works for me. Thanks again. ( sure would like a diesel, but its not in the cards right now )
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
He has 3.73 gears and is towing probably 2,000lbs more than you. At 65 in OD he's probably close to 2,700-3,000rpm already.
On level, mine turns 1800 @ 65 in 4th od. It sure won't hold it on any incline and immediately kicks out of od and jumps to 2400-2500 rpm. 55-60mph in 4th in tow mode, it turns around 2500-2800 which is where I tow 90% of the time. I have no complaints. See no reason to run 65-70. JMO.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

SKnight, at 55mph I believe I am at 2200 rpm, no strain on the 5.4 on flat land. Just a concern on hills, haven't been on any mountains yet only foothills. The 373 gears are great for pulling a 5500lb boat off the boat ramp but lacks top end power. As long as it sounds like its doing what its supposed to do, then it makes me feel better. I have to remember at least to me I'm pulling a lot behind me. thanks again for the responses Chuck in Va
Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Just came back from our first trip in our new Windjammer. Trip went really well, everything worked on the camper and good times had by all. The only concern was my tow vehicle. F250 Gasser w/ 5.4 and 373 gears. The TT towed great on flat land, however on grades the 5.4 was screaming ,slowed down some but still pulled the hill. I was told by the dealer that the 3065w Windjammer is 1/2 ton towable.( imagine that ) Empty weight is a tad over 7000 lbs. Am I expecting too much ? or is my f250 with 150,000 miles just getting tired. Another concern was visibility, even with the mirrors extended I was unable to see to the right side ( passenger side ) beyond the trailer, I just stayed in the right lane anyway, however I have a really bad blind spot to the right rear. I know most of these things are to be expected, however it starts to look like my trips need to be north and south rather than east to west across the mountains. Thanks in advance Chuck in Va
I just pulled our new Puma 31-RDKS (7952 on the sticker- I guesstimate I was running in the 8600-8700lb range) from Ohio to NE Texas with an F150 Ecoboost with 3.55 gears. Locked out 5th and 6th and was pulling in 4th, which is 1:1 like you have with OD off. Ran at ~2800 RPM at 65. Not in the mountains, but did encounter some pretty long grades through Kentucky and Tennessee and never even had the torque converter unlock. The longest, steepest grade I encountered resulted in a 3 mph loss(down to 62 from 65)- trucks were in the right lane with flashers on running 45ish by the top. I was pulling with a ProPride 3P which was a joy. I've had a 5.4L and still own a 4.6L. You'd be amazed at how much better the Ecoboost pulls- so, yes, your camper is easily half ton towable- with the right half ton, that is. If you don't have the money for a diesel, I highly recommend checking out the EB F150's. I know some dealers are running STEEP discounts. I'd venture you could get a nicely equipped 14 model 2x4 Crew for $27-$29K.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

I have heard great things about the ecoboost f150, I wish I could take one for a towing test drive, I understand the power range is a lot different with the turbo. Lots of used one out there also.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

I think your 5.4L is doing just fine. Remember, it makes its peak power in the 4K RPM range. It sounds like it's screaming (well...it is screaming), but it is natural for the 5.4L (and 6.8L). As long as you are keeping up the maintenance on the truck, you will be fine. As you mentioned, a diesel would cure a lot of your ills (well, wants anyway). If you are planning on lots of mountain trips later, you will surely want to get one. But for now, I think you are doing just fine.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I have to remember at least to me I'm pulling a lot behind me.
Hey, Chuck, I'm Wright from Richmond.
You just had the epiphany we all get. You are hauling a mobile home. Although your trailer is a bit more aerodynamic than mine, it still puts up a fight with the wind. It is heavier than my 2604WS, too. Towing in the 55-60 mph range will get you the best compromise between good mileage and elapsed time on the road. My tach reads 2200 at 60 on a level road with no headwind and I'm getting 11 mpg.
In the mountains, I slow down to the 45 mph range. Staying at that speed gets me over Afton Mtn. at about 3200 rpm. No use bustin' ***** UP the mountain when you're just going to come down the other side in lower gears coaxing the brakes to keep that mutha from shoving you into eternity.
You'll find your "sweet spot" for all towing conditions with experience.
Now as to the mirror concern. You are sitting much further away from the right side mirror so your field of vision is smaller. This is common to all tow vehicles unless equipped with wide, tall, west coast mirrors (as on semis). I discovered that at about the time a car appears in my right mirror, it is still far enough behind to squeeze the trailer over. I mean the SOB has been watching my right blinker and knows I'm trying to get out of everyone's way so I just ease on over.

Hve a good summer with your 'Jammer!
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Afton Mountain is hard on most vehicles not to mention if you are towing anything. I'm not sure I would attempt pulling Afton with my current setup. Maybe after I have a few more trips under my belt. Thanks again for the responses, you can always count on great opinions here, and people not just telling you what you want to hear.. SALESMAN " WITH THAT F250 YOU CAN HAUL ANYTHING WE HAVE ON THE LOT " sound familiar ???
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Anacortesians

After working in the motorcycle indiustry for a while, where I was comparing our Norton and AJS products to our Japanese competition, I got used to 4-cylidner engines running at 12,000 rpm or more in normal street driving.

After moving to the US, it took some time before the relatively low engine speed of big Detroit V-8 engines becme "normal".

The modern vehicles have so much computer control, and a lot of it is designed to stop abuse of the mechanicals, I figure if the computers are letting an engine run at 5000 rpm when climbing a hill, then so be it. I don't even bother with turning the O/D off - I figure the computer knows more aout it than I do.

If the high rpm bothers you so much, just back off the gas a bit. My '01 Ford V-10 (it's in an '02 motorhome) gets up around 4200 rpm on some of our Cascade mountain passes, but that's a liter or more bigger than your rig and has more torque. The MH has a max gross of 22,000 lb, and I estimate we're probably 2000 lb below that limit ( 2 people, 2 Labradors, about 40 gallons of fresh water and the typical equipment for 2 weeks max away).
Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #14

So far our Tundra has done a great job of towing. It has the 5.7 with a 6 spd trans and 4.30 rear gears. Most of the time towing with tow / haul mode on with 6th gear locked out. 60 - 65 mph @ 2000 - 2200 RPM. In the mtns and steep hills it will gear down to 4th and will maintain 55 mph @ 3000 or so RPM's. Coming down steep grades she's locked in 3rd or 2nd depending on the grade with some light brake tapping to maintain a lower speed. 70K miles on the Tundra with the original brakes. More than recommended maintenance on the drivetrain.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote