Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
TV for 2503s

This is my first post here.
We have ordered the 2503s (it was going to be the 2109 but we liked that people would not be walking thru our living space to use the bathroom). DH has a '99 Yukon that can tow it (he has experience with towing firehouse heavy/technical rescue trailer on their trucks). The problem is that the Yukon has over 275k miles. We may have 2 years left with it but have started looking around for a new truck so we're not forced to buy one quickly.
Including WD hitch, anti-sway bar & decent tires what vehicles are better suited without maxing out the TV? Oh & not break our bank (no stay at home mom here). We've thought about Sierra, another Yukon, 1500, Suburban but thought the experienced members here might have some alternatives to look at. We won't be doing any cross county soon but furthest will be to FL Keys once or twice a year.
Thanks so much!

mozeyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the forum!

Any late model 1/2 crew cab truck with a factory tow package will tow that Rockwood 2503S just fine. Most with 3.73 rear end gearing (or higher in some cases) have max towing limits of 9000 lbs or more. Check the door-post for payload capacity...the higher the better. I'd recommend a W/D hitch with integrated sway control such as Equal-i-zer or Reese dual cam.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
'Course in another few years you'll want to upgrade to something bigger and may wish you had purchased a trick with higher towing capacity.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
'Course in another few years you'll want to upgrade to something bigger and may wish you had purchased a trick with higher towing capacity.
X2 It happens all the time.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I also joined the forum recently and we have a 2012 2503S that we got last August. I tow with a Nissan Pathfinder 6cyl, rated for towing 6,000#. When combined and loaded I weighed (at scale) just about 1,100# under it's 11,300# all up limit. I'm not recommending that, just saying it's the set up I have. The guys above are giving good advice.

The reason I'm chiming is to add a different perspective. For me this set up works for now, mostly because in a days drive from here I can encouner hills not mountains, and the RV is for vacation camping for another few years. For future I have my eye on the 8cyl Pathfinder, rated 7,000#, and it should be good enough for our retirement travel plans. DW just won't agree to being on the road for long periods so I envision slow and steady will get me there "eventually". But I'm still not recommending that set up either.

The other reason is that I will be interested to know what you think of the 2503S. We love ours. I was sold on the murphy bed arrangement, she was sold on the "space" of the cooking area, (cause the dog and I were always in the way with the 3 previous RVs). But the bathroom and its separate entrance did it. No more wet dog flying in and all over every where! I can contain her in that big area until she's dryed off and cleaned up. Also when its a mucky site the dirt I track in doesn't get everywhere. Winner!

So drop me a line with your impressions and if you're interested I'll let you know about any quirks or surprises I find about the 2503S as time goes on.
Fred, Gail and Sandee the Puggle
2008 Pathfinder, Native Ultimate 14.5, Delta 10

2012 Rockwood 2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Rockwood Mini lite 2503s

We actually started looking at the Rockwood MiniLite 2104s. Between the two dogs and DD possibly bringing a friend it would be too tight in a short amount of time. We have other friends w/ quite large (custom) tt's who said if we get something small we'll upgrade twice in 5 years & in the end get this unit anyway. . The clincher was the separate entrance for the bathroom. DH wasn't keen on people walking thru our living space to get to the bathroom, & w/ a collie mix and a lively Golden Retriever I won't worry about the first place they put their wet paws is in our 'living area'. Love the idea of an outside shower.
We are looking at Sierra, Titan, Pathfinder (I loved mine from years ago), and maybe Suburban. We have too many vehicles at home & are hoping to turn in 2 vehicles and come away w/ a decent vehicle for towing. Living in Hunterdon County, NJ we won't be driving over any large mountains in the near future.

Dave & Maureen
First time & soon-to-be owners of Rockwood 2503s

mozeyrn is offline   Reply With Quote