Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

TV questions

OK, I have the Rockwood 8329SS as noted in my signature. Haven't gone anywhere with it but have used it at home a few times. Set up the TV and originally got about 12 channels - which is not bad for the fringe area where it is located. This is not cable, just using the antenna.

Had some work done at the dealer - nothing near the TV - and after we got it back I couldn't get any channels, at all. It kept telling me to check the connection, Brought it back for other work and also had them check the TV. Without even raising the antenna they got 6 channels and some came in quite good. After I got back home - again, no channels at all. It is possible that we are getting no reception but it seems odd.

Anyway, I will be leaving to head south in a bit and where we are staying has cable. Hopefully that will make things OK but I have never hooked up to cable so...is there anything I need to do to my set-up besides just hooking the cable to the TT? Where exactly does the cable hook up and do I need to move or reconnect anything since it is currently running through an antenna?

Bet you can't tell I'm new at this can you????

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

tv reception

it sounds like the booster amp may not be on for antenna tv after return from dealer.
remember that when using cable the booster is off and then scan for channels.
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Site Team

also, did you re-scan the channels after you moved to new location?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
also, did you re-scan the channels after you moved to new location?
X2, every time we go out to our seasonal spot I always find it best to re-scan.
Channels have a habit of disappearing even tho the camper dont move.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Did the rescan after returning from dealer and found no channels at all. Where is the booster amp and how do I turn it off for cable?

Is the cable hookup the one on outside of the trailer near the auxiliary AC outlet?

Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #6

The booster could be located anywhere in the trailer. I had one in the bedroom area and another was in the kitchen area on my other trailers.
Now with that being said I would first look behind the TV where your antenna lead is connected to the wall plate. See if there is a push button and a small LED light this should be the booster for the TV antenna.

The plate may look like this:

Winegard RV 7012 Wall Plate TV 12 Volt Power Supply | eBay
Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Mines on the ceiling in the bedroom, last unit it was in a cabinet near the tv

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

OK...found the antenna booster and it was off. Turned it on and now get a number of channels. Thanks everyone!

What is kind of odd is that the booster is part of a plate that is not actually behind the TV (where all of the cabling is) but it is under the TV in a separate compartment in the entertainment center. That compartment has multiple plates with power and auxiliary outlets. The plate with the booster button has two cable connectors that say Auxiliary&AT and TV. There is nothing connected to them. Behind the actual TV all of the cables (4) come out of the wall and go directly to the TV. One is the antenna (white), one is an HDMI cable that goes to the side of the TV, one is a blue cable that goes to an auxiliary outlet on the back of the TV and one is power.

My confusion comes in two ways: If the antenna cable is hooked directly to the TV, how does the booster button effect it? Unless it actually goes to the back of the noted plate, prior to routing to the TV. Also, when I hook up cable at a campground do I need to hook up, or change any, cabling inside the TT? Currently I have a white cable that goes to an antenna connection on the back of the TV. When I hook up to the cable, how will that connection be recognized by the TV?

This may seem rudimentary to most, and I have never had an issue in my homes but I want to be clear when I arrive down south next week.

Thanks again, gang.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Site Team

You probably have a cable TV connection on the outside of your rig??
Plug the camp ground cable to the outside connection on your rig.
Turn the inside booster OFF.
Set TV for cable reception and do a channel scan.

For antenna use crank up antenna turn ON booster and set TV for air/antenna and do a
channel scan.

That's all!
Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No cable changes for park cable....turn off booster, menu program on tv....enter ant/cable mode, select cable, scan for channels.....the wall plate with the Sat. label, in this 2010 model, is for adding a sat. receiver box. From outside Sat. connector to inside wall plate is a direct cable with no splitters
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Thanks guys...that is exactly what I was looking for!

Two more days 'til I hit the road.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
OK...found the antenna booster and it was off. Turned it on and now get a number of channels. Thanks everyone!

What is kind of odd is that the booster is part of a plate that is not actually behind the TV (where all of the cabling is) but it is under the TV in a separate compartment in the entertainment center. That compartment has multiple plates with power and auxiliary outlets. The plate with the booster button has two cable connectors that say Auxiliary&AT and TV. There is nothing connected to them. Behind the actual TV all of the cables (4) come out of the wall and go directly to the TV. One is the antenna (white), one is an HDMI cable that goes to the side of the TV, one is a blue cable that goes to an auxiliary outlet on the back of the TV and one is power.

My confusion comes in two ways: If the antenna cable is hooked directly to the TV, how does the booster button effect it? Unless it actually goes to the back of the noted plate, prior to routing to the TV. Also, when I hook up cable at a campground do I need to hook up, or change any, cabling inside the TT? Currently I have a white cable that goes to an antenna connection on the back of the TV. When I hook up to the cable, how will that connection be recognized by the TV?

This may seem rudimentary to most, and I have never had an issue in my homes but I want to be clear when I arrive down south next week.

Thanks again, gang.
Mike ,sounds like you want to know how and why all wires Go and Do! If you get bored down South,just remove your Radio and start Chasing Wires! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxd 002.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	96775   Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxd 003.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	96776  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #13

youroo, how did you get my PC cables??????
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
You know, with all the effort the factory goes to to make these 'ultra lites', instead of using Luan for cuboard floors, make these thicker and cut down on wire WASTE!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote