Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 AM   #1
Retired

TV recommendations for my new 2109

Hi all:
My first shot at blogging. Hope I do this right ! If not, please let me know.
I'm an experienced camper, towing "smaller units" since '85. I just purchased a new 2109 and need to replace my TV which is too small to tow this trailer. I'm looking for the perfect all around vehicle as a replacement. I'm headed toward retirement with plans of lots of travel north, south, east and west but will use this vehicle for general transportation. I've considered the lighter F150s with ecoboost but really like the convenience of a medium sized SUV. I like lots of safety factor regarding towing, braking, etc. and have been intimidated but posts (not here) regarding side winds/ tractor trailers and tales of woe about "smaller" vehicles. I've seen some posts regarding 4 Runners that might be the answer?
I have a very heavy duty hitch, a Reese WD hitch (chain type) and a sliding friction type sway control. I'd truly appreciate the benefit of your experience and expertise on the subject.
BTW, we are very excited about the 2109 !
Thanks much !
Tommy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

You are going to get all kinds of conflicting advice on this question. Tow vehicles is one of the great debates of this forum. There will be people telling you that you shouldn't have anything less than a 1 ton diesel dually!

That being said, payload on SUV's is typically lower than a pickup, and payload is typically where TV's exceed their limits first. So as well as looking at the towing capacity of whatever you're interested in, look at the payload number on the sticker on the drivers door frame.

Make sure you know the towing capacity of the exact vehicle you're looking at. My 2009 Silverado owners manual listed 99 permutations of the Silverado (engine size, box size, cab size, rear end gearing, tow package, etc) with towing capacities ranging from 4,000 lbs to 12,000 lbs. Mine was 7,500 lbs. So all 1/2 ton pickups are NOT created equal. So someone may tell you to "get a 1/2 ton," but if you do, you need to get the RIGHT 1/2 ton.

Ignore dry weights. Your 2109 has a GVWR of about 5256 lbs per the FR site. Tongue weight should be around 10-15% of TT weight, so your tongue weight could be as much as 788 lbs. Add 50 lbs or so for your weight distributing hitch (you'll need one) and you could have a tongue weight of 838 lbs.

So now your payload will be reduced by 838 lbs. Whatever is left is what you can load into your TV, including the wife, dog, and "stuff."

Also, you may find you'll want a larger TT in a couple years (some people even sooner!). For boaters, this is called "two-foot-itis."

So my advice is to steer away from SUV's. You'll get a lot more advice.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D. View Post
Hi all:
I'm an experienced camper, towing "smaller units" since '85. I just purchased a new 2109 and need to replace my TV which is too small to tow this trailer. I'm looking for the perfect all around vehicle as a replacement. I'm headed toward retirement with plans of lots of travel north, south, east and west but will use this vehicle for general transportation. I've considered the lighter F150s with ecoboost but really like the convenience of a medium sized SUV. I like lots of safety factor regarding towing, braking, etc. and have been intimidated but posts (not here) regarding side winds/ tractor trailers and tales of woe about "smaller" vehicles. I've seen some posts regarding 4 Runners that might be the answer?
I have a very heavy duty hitch, a Reese WD hitch (chain type) and a sliding friction type sway control. I'd truly appreciate the benefit of your experience and expertise on the subject.
Thanks much !
As for your question I don't have a SUV so I can't make a recommendation. With my TV I need no WD hitch or sway control. A smaller wheel base of an SUV would change that IMHOP. Enjoy your 2109S, we sure do like ours.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

I used to tow our 2104 with our 2012 Tacoma. The trailer, loaded, was about 5000 lbs and the truck had a tow rating of 6500 lbs. I had a similar WD hitch and anti-sway bar that you are using. I also added Firestone RideRite airbags to the rear of the truck. It towed well with little movement but the Tacoma needed a bit more power to better get over the hills. I looked up the tow specs for a 2016 4Runner and it says it only has a 5000 lb max capacity so I don't think that would be a good choice since you would be about right at max weight.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

An F-150 CC will have more room inside than the SUV you mentioned and should provide the safety factors you are wanting. A good bed cover will keep things dry and safe since most come with a lock.
Just something to consider.

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
I just purchased a new 2109 and need to replace my TV which is too small to tow this trailer.
Just FYI, we towed our 2109S to Alaska and back with a Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 pickup. We don't tow over 65 MPH with any trailer, so it was adequate, but performed poorly on long grades and in moderate to high headwinds. That 64 sq. ft. cross-sectional area was part of the problem (the Nissan owners manual said "maximum of 60 sq. ft."). However, even with our lightweight TV, our Reese dual-cam W-D hitch eliminated nearly all problems with cross winds and passing semis.

The equivalent Nissan SUV--the Pathfinder--has less towing capacity than the Frontier and your new 2109S GVWR is about 450 lbs. heavier than our 2012's GVWR. The 4-Runner is pretty equivalent to the Pathfinder, so I think it would have the same limitations. With 20-20 hindsight, I would recommend a crew cab F-150 (maybe even with just the 2.7 Eco-boost), Ram 1500 Eco-diesel, or Chevy Colorado Duramax diesel, but all with the max-tow package. You will have the same seating capacity as an SUV, just less enclosed storage. But the increased towing capacity and payload will give you a safer "cushion" for carrying whatever you need to take with you, including a couple of kids or grandkids.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

I have a 25ft camper when loaded is around 6-6500 pounds. I am towing with a 2007 GMC yulon XK (basically a chevy suburban). i have been through 2 summers with this set up and quite frankly i am looking to get into a pickup next spring. I love having the SUV, especially this size with all the room. we have 7 in our family but typically only 6 go, so seating is good for the SUV and will be an issue with a pickup. Also my dog goes with us and has a crate in the back of the SUV. I will need to have a cover on the pickup but will have to worry about heat in the summer and during hunting i will worry about the cold for him.

so ya i would love to stay with my SUV but honestly i hate how it handles towing, the power and gears just arent set up for it. i am always working the truck hard even though i go slow and take it easy. sway and weight balance are fine for me though. i couldnt imagine going to a smaller SUV. My cousin went from a suburban to a ford expedition and swears it hauls a lot better. i might try that out. i have though about toyota sequoia or nissan armada but in those the 3rd row seat basically touches the back window, no cargo room or room for the dog.

just some food for thought for ya from my experience.
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

A Suburban with the correct tow package (3.42 or 3.73 gears) would handle the 2109 just fine. The Expedition would do even better as it has a higher tow rating. I towed a 2702WS with a Suburban for a year. No sway, towed well on the flat. I decided to upgrade after towing to Yellowstone and experiencing all the grades however. But the 2109 is much lighter than I was towing.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

The F-150 3.5 Eco boost crew cab short bed makes a good tow vehicle for most 'light' trailers under 30' and has more room than an SUV.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Smile Definately NO 4Runner!

I too was thinking of an SUV but changed my mind because of towing capacity and fuel; consumption. Your unit is approximately 4,000 dry weight. See sticker on left front of trailer 4Runners are rated at max tow 4,700 lbs, (WAY too close considering you have not accounted for contents in trailer, and water, propane, batteries.)
Besides with such a short wheelbase on a 4 Runner you will be greatly affected by crosswinds and semi turbulence. Your fuel mileage will be very high as this is merely fuel injected. At higher altitudes or hills your engine will starve for air.
I'd suggest a Ford F150 eco boost with the 3.5 six cyl. (not the 2.7)
It has turbo so it will not starve for air when climbing or at higher altitudes. Plus will tow your 2109 Rockwood better than my Chevy Silverado's 5,3 V8 and get much better gas mileage. The TURBO forces air into engine, even if it's thinner air at altitude. I have a 2016 2109 Sapphire my next truck will be a 150 Eco boost 3.5
Ps, you can always buy a topper for your truck bed.
Enjoy your retirement
Utah Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi all:
Thanks much !
I tow my 2014 2109S with a Nissan Frontier. I'm OK with towing capacity, but I'm exceeding the payload (just over 1000 lbs) by a bit. It's adequate in the Midwest where it's relatively flat. My Equal-i-zer hitch handles any trailer sway issues with no problem. But, in a 30mph headwind, you won't get anywhere very fast. I'm planning to replace the Frontier with an F150 this fall. I want to go to the Rockies and I don't think the Frontier will handle that at all. Sometimes it struggles just going up a freeway on-ramp.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
Site Team

SUVS have lower payload capacities and weaker suspensions.
Both are negatives for towing, compared to pickups.
You would need a full size SUV, not midsize SUV, to comfortably tow your trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #13

tv question.

Have you checked into the Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 eco diesel? Talked to someone on our last outing and he liked his. He said it had a tow rating of 7200. Not bad for a mid size suv that will get you some mpg when not towing.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Spot on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
SUVS have lower payload capacities and weaker suspensions.
Both are negatives for towing, compared to pickups.
You would need a full size SUV, not midsize SUV, to comfortably tow your trailer.
And my recommendation is a Nissan Armada with tow package. My last TV/TT combo was a '12 Armada/'14 Flagstaff 27BESS with an Equal-i-zer 4point WDH. What a package! No problems whatsoever. I did have Firestone air bags on the rear of the Armada, but it towed flawlessly. Plenty of power, plenty of room, and comfortable as all get out.

Just my $0.02 worth.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #15

I agree with most here. The only SUV to consider is the Ford EX with tow package. Not always but most often imo if you need air bags or any suspension assistance your tv is not up to the job. I towed with an F150, just 7000# and found it could do the job acceptably once the P rated tires were changed to LT with a heavier load rating.
I'm betting you will go even bigger in a short time and will be looking for another tv. My suggestion is to get an F250 now and be ready for when the next camper comes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #16

Dw and i had a 2000 Chevy Silverado with 4.8l when we bought our camper. Its the exact same one you have but branded as a flagstaff. We love the camper, but after driving it to the Smokies, we didn't feel we had enough truck. We bought the truck in our signature knowing we would upgrade our camper soon.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #17

IMO for a 5,000 lb. TT you need to stick to full size TTs like an (older) Armada w/9,100 lb. tow package or (newer) Ford Expedition EL (long) w/EB, 3.73 gearing, 9,100+ HD tow package... They didn't have the EB powered Exp. when we were looking, but it looks like a good choice. Not quiet the beast the 3/4 ton Excursion was but the newer engine/tranny combo gets much better MPG...

IMO Jeeps, 4Runners, etc. are not a good match because their shorter wheelbases allow them to get pushed-around by passing semis, high winds, etc. It seems most folks that start-out w/one of these upgrade pretty quick whereas the full size SUVs can be stabilized by upgrading to air bags, the right tires, and quality WDH...

We almost got a 5 year-old Armada but found a newer Ram 2500 CC w/3,000 payload for a lot less. With a fiberglass cap we just toss what we are taking in the back & don't have to worry about going over on payload... However, the ride is not as comfy...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #18

The best advice I can give you is do not listen to anyone. Go do your homework, look at everything you can. Read all specs and decide for yourself. You know your needs and wants, don't let anyone else make up your mind or you will always be questioning if you made the right choice.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #19

I like my F-150 SuperCrew with the 3.5 EB. Adaptive cruise control aids longer drives, extremely comfortable seats, and the flat floor enables cavernous interior storage with the rear seats up - room enough to sleep there! Note that tow mirrors are NOT included with the tow packages so make sure they are ordered, I had a devil of a time finding one with them installed. It is almost impossible to add the factory mirrors after delivery - it's very hard to get the computers to recognize them and make them work (check the F-150 forum for discussions of people trying to do this). EB engine pulls a lot like a diesel due to the turbos. In that Ford has been selling the EB engines for a number of years now in various vehicles, I'm not worried about the turbos. Word is that Ford has made changes to the 2017 engines to address the carbon buildup issue that has been reported on multiple manufactures direct injection engines.

As noted, your limiting factor will be cargo capacity. My 2016 Platinum trim level model is stickered at 1450 lbs which is sufficient for my needs. I do have the 33 gallon fuel tank, so I can regain some capacity by not running with a full tank... Lower trim models can come with higher numbers.

I haven't seen any numbers on the 2017's which may be higher.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #20

TV question

Maybe I'm an oddball, but TV still means television to me.
don1526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags