Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

Two Remaining Winterization Questions

I read through various threads on winterization and still have two questions. Hope I did not miss the answers --- not here to waste anyone's time!

Question 1: One of my questions was about how to get antifreeze into the waste tank flush line, but then I read that one poster bought a hand pump to pump antifreeze into that line from its outside connection. Is this a pump specifically for this application, and likely only available at rv parts supplier, or is it a general purpose pump, and available elsewhere? Also, does anyone know of any other method?

Question 2: When I start my winterization process I drain my gray tank, my blank tank, my fresh tank, and my low point drains. I then close all of them before I start winterizing. After I complete my winterization process (antifreeze method), I then redrain my gray and blank tanks. I am confused whether I should also redrain my low point drains. I know this would drain my lines of anitfreeze, but the traps and any other spots in the lines where liquid gets trapped would still have antifreeze in them. Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As a alternative, you can put a air nozzle fitting on the black tank flush line and blow it out with compressed air.

If you have added antifreeze and gotten pink at all the faucets it would be pointless to re-drain the lines.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Is there a check valve in the black tank flush line that would stop the water in it from just draining into the tank. Cause I didn't do anything to mine. And from what I could see there wasn't a check valve or anything.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #4

There is no check valve, but when I follow the water line inside the trailer is has some definite uphill runs and curves, where water will sit and freeze if not blown out or flushed out with antifreeze.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

Never thought about doing anything with the black tank flush fitting...I'm curious how many others actually blow this out or pump in antifreeze?
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #6

I have always pumped antifreeze into the black tank flush fittings. Never had an issue with freezing.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post
Never thought about doing anything with the black tank flush fitting...I'm curious how many others actually blow this out or pump in antifreeze?
Mine self drains when I take off the hose. The section beyond the vacuum valve is vertical into the nozzle. Seems unlikely any traps will occur.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Playtime III

Just don't forget the outside shower if you have one.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

I haven't done anything at all to flush fittings in my 40 years of camping, and haven't had any problems. I am in central VA.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

After draining black water tank. I hook up compressor to outside fitting for black water flush. I can hear water being discharged, however, since it is open to the atmosphere, don't know if it is really necessary. Just an easy precaution. I don't fill with antifreeze, since most of it would drain out. I use compressed air followed by antifreeze on all other water lines though.