Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Ultra Lite ETC 184 UVW ???

Does anyone have any experience or knowlege of this model?

My question comes up due to discrepancies of the listed UVW of this model on Forest Rivers website.

If you go to the pdf brochure of the models and floorplans the UVW is set at 2987 for example. However if you click floorplans or specifications via the website and get that list the UVW is listed as 2773.

I'm curious because we're discussing this model alongside the 2104 model Ultra Lite and I can't imagine the smaller ETC 184 is so close in weight to a much larger 2104.

Anyone know of any way I could verify the actual UVW?

I know this is not the weight to base my purchase off of as once loaded with accessories and fully loaded the UVW goes out the door anyways. But adding 400-500lbs to 2773 is less than adding that amount to 2987.
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If my math is correct, and you are worried about 214 pounds, then I have to ask, what are you towing with? After all, you're only talking a 7% weight difference. Tell us about your tow vehicle, year, model, engine, trans, etc., and how stuff and people will be in it, and let us help you determine what you can tow. There may be a misunderstanding on your tow vehicle capabilities.

One other thought, if you are looking at a new one on a lot, look in the cabinets, you should find a sticker with the "more true" weights on it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #3

I'm not particularly concerned about towing either of them, but our TV is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6cyl. With factory tow package we're rated at 5000lb TC.

It's just the wife and myself and two small dogs. Just our food and clothes and a few camping chairs for short 3-4 day trips. So nothing too large on weight add-ons there either.

I only ask because I want to know which are the exact numbers, and we have no local dealers around with these models so checking the stickers on the cabinets is not an option at all.

It's not so much as I'm looking for answers as to what I can tow. Some will say I'll pull just fine with this or larger TT's with no problem. Others will say you can pull it but you'll know it's back there. And still others will say my TV should pull the smallest amount as possible.

We are looking at staying small which the 184 accomplishes, but when it's weight is near the same as a larger model I got curious as to which is correct.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I think you can tow either one, but as others have stated by you, you will know it is back there. Looking at the floor plans, I see the 184 has a small slide for the couch, but no dinette. The 2104 does not have a slide. Slides add weight. The rails and the motor all add weight. This is probably why the two units are so close in weight. Remember these are not true weights for either one. Awning, propane, battery will all be added to the the published number. This will also reduce the carrying capacity of the trailer, as far as grill, extra awning, screen room, etc. Stuff adds up in a hurry.

My suggestion is you need to go see both, at or near the the same place, on the same day. Then go home and discuss it. As a last reminder, there will be days when it is raining, and you may have to live in it. Both are small, so hope you like each other. My wife and I do, that's one reason our camper is only 18 feet.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #5

Thanks again Windrider. Helpful replies.

I hadn't thought about the slidout motor and the railings and things accompanying the slideout that would add that additional weight.

And we're well aware of all the addon weight, probably an estimated 400lbs with things like the awning, ac unit, full propanes etc etc etc. Yup so I'm already buffering 400 minimum wiggle room up from a stated UVW weight by default.

I'm still just itching to know though the true UVW of the 184 considering as I originally was wondering why ForestRiver has it stated as 2772 in their pdf brochure and then 2987 on the specs/floorplans page.

Oh and the wife and I are fine being stuck inside in close quarters. We're also looking at and very much considering R-Pods and some of their models and have already spent some time viewing and wakling around in those.

Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #6

Uvw

While shopping the Rockwood TT line to a point of near exhaustion, I also made the observation that the UVW shown in published specifications seldom correlated to the weight of units on a dealers lot. This is one of those things that can really put a kink in your plans if you are buying a unit that challenges the GVWR or GCWR of your tow vehicle. Regardless, I think you will find that if you buy a unit with absolutely no options, the spec weight will be pretty accurate but as you add options, each one results in a weight penalty. I noticed that other manufacturers such as the "Surveyor" line show the weight for each add-on in the option lists. I would recommend that you contact a dealer or Forest River directly to determine the resulting weight penalty for whatever configuration you select.

Best of Luck!
RIRED56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood