Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Ultra-lite vs Mini-lite - 2304s and 2504s

I find it odd that the discontinued 2304s is as an ultra-lite, while the 2504s is a mini-lite. Although both have a 3-step entry and are almost identical in weights and cargo capacity. Though, the 2304s does have the bigger grey and black tanks and I am guessing the 2504s does not have the underbelly coverage. Any other differences, I should consider, other than the obvious ones?
I'm still shopping for a 2304s , but have recently been swooned by the 2504s model - since they seem to be roughly the same price and a little more popular.

Thanks, Mark
Mn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know the answer but do know you can, usually, find many videos on youtube if you search for the specific year/model name.

That's how we found our Rockwood...spent almost a year researching Class-C's then travel trailers to replace our 18-footer.

Good luck!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

The 2504 does not have the underbelly coverage but it is a great TT.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn_Mark View Post
I find it odd that the discontinued 2304s is as an ultra-lite, while the 2504s is a mini-lite. Although both have a 3-step entry and are almost identical in weights and cargo capacity. Though, the 2304s does have the bigger grey and black tanks and I am guessing the 2504s does not have the underbelly coverage. Any other differences, I should consider, other than the obvious ones?
I'm still shopping for a 2304s , but have recently been swooned by the 2504s model - since they seem to be roughly the same price and a little more popular.

Thanks, Mark
FR discontinued many of the "couples campers" in the mid-grade and above lines due to low sales. We too were going to buy a 2304s then learned we could no longer order one. So we bought a 232IS, which actually suits us far better we've found.

The 2304s and 2504s have different construction. The difference in the 2304s is what steered us to it after having had a 21ss. The heated/enclosed underbelly is a major factor for us, but the real make or break was floor construction. The floor in a 2304s had aluminum framing at 16" centers, but the 2504s and 21ss do not. Cargo capacity was second of our concerns and is higher on the 2304s vs 2504s. So you lose the "step up" to the Ultra series features/construction from the Minis. So while floorplans may "look" the same, they aren't "built" the same.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

That 232IS is a good looking unit. More weight and cost than what I can budget though. I still wonder why the 2304s weighs as much as it does. Compare it to the Nash 23D, one of the toughest trailers made supposedly, similar floorplan, but with an off-road capable chassis, 3/4 plywood roof and floors – and they weigh the same

Are you sure the 2504s does not have aluminum framing at 16" on center? My understanding is all the ultra-lites do, but "select" mini-lites have it as well. I just wish they would have gave it some plywood in the flooring. Wish there were more Nash trailers around, I would like to look at a 23d and compare

We have located a 2013 and a 2012 2304s at two dealers, they are about $4-$5k less, respectively, "out the door" cost, than a new 2015 2304s we are dealing on. I am just hoping I don't lose my shirt if we find out we need to sell it for whatever reason in a year or less. Tough choice, knowing the warranty will be great to have if we do keep it for a few years. I am surprised the dealers don't budge more on their used units.
Mn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
That 232IS is a good looking unit. More weight and cost than what I can budget though. I still wonder why the 2304s weighs as much as it does. Compare it to the Nash 23D, one of the toughest trailers made supposedly, similar floorplan, but with an off-road capable chassis, 3/4 plywood roof and floors – and they weigh the same
Thanks! We like it a lot and you'd be surprised what we paid for it, but she is heavy compared to what you are looking for.

Cannot knock a Nash! Big reason for the similar weight is that the Lippert chassis the FRs roll are are not designed model-specific. The same chassis is used for many models and the design is a compromise for all of them. Northwood builds their Nash chassis not quite model-specific but box-specific so they optimize and get a lighter chassis.

Quote:
Are you sure the 2504s does not have aluminum framing at 16" on center? My understanding is all the ultra-lites do, but "select" mini-lites have it as well.
Certainly could have changed since our shopping 6 months ago, but I stepped foot in a 2504s and immediately knew without even having to ask because I'm 6'-5" and 285# and it bounced just like our former 21ss did.

Quote:
We have located a 2013 and a 2012 2304s at two dealers, they are about $4-$5k less, respectively, "out the door" cost, than a new 2015 2304s we are dealing on. I am just hoping I don't lose my shirt if we find out we need to sell it for whatever reason in a year or less. Tough choice, knowing the warranty will be great to have if we do keep it for a few years. I am surprised the dealers don't budge more on their used units.
TTs are holding their used value a bit better these days, especially popular floorplans. In my area, very good to excellent 2008-2009 21ss hybrids still command $9-11K and they were $13.5K new and loaded (ours was a 2008)!!! Just to give you a data point, we had negotiated a fully loaded, Emerald package 2304s for a price of $20.6K with a dealer 5 hours from us, but timing and floorplan discontinuation didn't work out as mentioned.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags