Old 07-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Ultra V 2618 Dinette Mod Questions

We are considering getting a 2816. We want to swap the dinette for a free standing table and chairs. The current brochure indicates you can do this, however the order form notes that they are not available on the 2816. We went back to the dealer today and I really poked around some more to see what is going on. Turns out there is what appears to be a heat vent coming up from the floor and vented out the back of the dinette seat toward the exterior door with a black directional vent cover. Also, I realized that the hot water tank is mounted on the wall under the same seat. I think the aft seat for the dinette is empty except for the storage drawer - could someone confirm this? It looked to me that the furnace is actually in the bathroom.
So, my questions:
1. Is the vent really for heat and why does it have directional louvers?
2. I should have dug deeper, but how far into the trailer does the hot water tank extend?
3. Can someone confirm that the furnace is not under the aft dinette seat?
If we order this trailer, I thinking we could have Rockwood just not put in the heat duct or make it a standard floor style vent. Also, IF the hot water tank does not intrude very far, I could build a small box to cover it.
If these changes are ill advised, we may just go with the dinette.

How insane am I???

SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

Well, after doing a lot more research, I'm coming to believe this mod is a bad idea. Hot water tank is under the forward bench and the furnace must be under the aft bench. A bulkhead might work for the hot water, it will be about 18 inches deep, so I could build a bulkhead along the floor to cover it. However the furnace is more like 2 feet and that doesn't include any ductwork coming off the back of the furnace. And allowing for air intake...

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in my sales person who didn't point out these issues. They said "Oh we have a 3618 on the lot, we can take the dinette out if you want..."

SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Well, after doing a lot more research, I'm coming to believe this mod is a bad idea. Hot water tank is under the forward bench and the furnace must be under the aft bench. A bulkhead might work for the hot water, it will be about 18 inches deep, so I could build a bulkhead along the floor to cover it. However the furnace is more like 2 feet and that doesn't include any ductwork coming off the back of the furnace. And allowing for air intake...

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in my sales person who didn't point out these issues. They said "Oh we have a 3618 on the lot, we can take the dinette out if you want..."
Has he told you, "Oh, a 1/2 ton can pull this trailer!"??

Many can, but many cannot. I'm sure he hasn't asked you the particulars of YOUR truck!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications