Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Uneven Heat

I have a '15 Signature Ultralight 8285IKWS (fifth wheel). We love it, but one complaint is the uneven heating that the furnace puts out. The upstairs bedroom/bathroom/hall is almost always 6-7 degrees warmer than the lower living and kitchen area. There is only one vent toward the rear of the camper, and three more in the front half (entrance, upstairs hall, bathroom). The hottest place in the camper is where the thermostat is located. Has anyone attempted to add a vent or two, or redirect heat flow from the furnace to cooler areas? Will changing vents out with vents that can open and close do this or does each vent have a direct duct from the furnace?

Scott Ziegler

2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS 5th wheel
2012 Ram 1500 Hemi
pastorscottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
Do you have a ceiling fan? We run ours 24/7 when we're in it. Seems to help quite a bit.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Just finished doing this in our Chaparral 29 RKS. I reduced the 4" round vent down to 2" with a adapter and put another 4x2 adapter in the plenum of the furnace.I them put the 4" to a new 4" round vent that I placed in the stair riser going into the hall.Sorry I didn't take pictures,but it was easy and it works so much better. 4" vent in the bath room would run you out of there.Now everything seems more balanced.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Scott, I have a 8289. I changed the routing of the ducts to have the split feed the bedroom/hallway and I also closed down the basement one as bit. There is so much leakage that the underbelly gets enough heat.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Thanks for the help. I do run the ceiling fan, but it is located in the coolest part of the camper. I will look into the changes DaveandSue and B and B suggested.
Scott Ziegler

2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS 5th wheel
2012 Ram 1500 Hemi
pastorscottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
I have experienced similar... the bathroom register (right above the furnace) put out the most with the hall (about 3 feet away) next and the two down in the living area next to none. To get any heat in the living area, the bathroom and bedroom had to be roasting.

First, make sure your furnace is properly closed-up in back. There is no ducted cold air return - it just draws from the space its in through slots ahead of the heat exchanger and pushes back out through the plenum and the octopus of flex ducts at the interior end. There is usually a slotted panel on some part of the cabinetry that allows air from the interior to be sucked into this utility space from which the furnace is drawing.

On my unit, one side of the plenum cover had come undone (screw loosened and the pressed 'nut' had fallen out and disappeared). It was popped open a couple inches on one side. So the air in the utility space just kept getting recycled and there was very little pressure left in the plenum for the ducts so only the shortest ones (the bathroom and hall) got any warm air at all. Opening the cabinet doors to the utility space also resulted in lots of (uncontrolled) warm air that was blowing directly out of the plenum - this was the dead giveaway.

So, anyway, I removed the carpeted panel in the basement on the off-door side and the problem was obvious. One self-tapping screw later and that was fixed permanently. Also a good time to check that all the ducts are properly attached too (one was loose).

While in the basement, I also took the time to seal all the joints on the two boots there with my favorite duct tape (Reflectix aluminum tape). and make sure the basement vent was closed. Since the utility space and the basement are pretty much the same airspace I don't think there's ever a need to have that vent open.

Second, you can get registers with dampers in 2x10 size. I don't know why FR doesn't use them to allow you to balance the heat, especially since the duct lengths are so vastly different. Home Depot carries them although not every store stocks them. It seems that only areas where the heating or cooling needs of a house could get by with 2x10 registers have them in stock... I could not find them in Atlanta or anywhere in Florida but they were in stock (just two of them) in Statesville NC - maybe they will do 'ship to store' if they are not stocked in your area. That made a BIG difference in being able to balance the airflow.

2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote