Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #61

YOUROO, that's correct the welding shop installed what was sent, now the proper one should welded where it belongs. I'm not sure it makes any difference, it just felt funny while towing. I am not an engineer , so not exactly sure what, if any, effect its location has. We will see if it fixed the problem, if not I'm stumped . All the Windjammers on the lot had the coupler mounted on top. I guess they are like that for a reason.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #62

Well the factory style coupler has been installed on my Windjammer and I will pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure it will tow better, we will see how it unhitches. While it at the dealer I am also having them install those covers for the roof vents, I understand they are worth the extra expense.

Chuck "still in Va "
Old 07-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Well the factory style coupler has been installed on my Windjammer and I will pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure it will tow better, we will see how it unhitches. While it at the dealer I am also having them install those covers for the roof vents, I understand they are worth the extra expense.

Chuck "still in Va "
Charles,by (Factory style coupler) is the (Present one) a (TOP or Bottom ) factory style coupler? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #64

Coupler mounted on top, it will change the ride height as well as the height of the wd hitch. However while at the dealer today I did observe a new Windjammer that just arrived that had the coupler attached to the bottom. Now I am confused. I am guessing they mount them both ways. I wounder what at the factory determines where the coupler is mounted, or is it whatever they have in stock ??
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Coupler mounted on top, it will change the ride height as well as the height of the wd hitch. However while at the dealer today I did observe a new Windjammer that just arrived that had the coupler attached to the bottom. Now I am confused. I am guessing they mount them both ways. I wounder what at the factory determines where the coupler is mounted, or is it whatever they have in stock ??
was it the same unit as yours???

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #66

Picked up the Jammer this morning, had the wd hitch adjusted to the proper height, nice and level. Took it on a trial run, towed great and unhitched properly. CASE CLOSED. The dealer, DODD RV of Yorktown picked up the tab under warranty. Outstanding customer service. Now all I need is cooler weather for camping.

Chuck "still in Va "
Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #67
rip

First, your dealer is great for not just doing the repair to your satisfaction, but doing it in a timely manner... none of the typical we have a two month backlog.

I learned a lot from your message exchanges. I have a Windjammer 2809W. I went out and looked at my trailer, curious because I have to have my wd hitch mounted so low on my F-250.

I discovered that my 2809W hitch is apparently the mounted-under type mentioned in this thread. I further discovered that my trailer's front A-frame is under-mounted to my 30' trailer frame.

Now I realize why my hook-up is relatively low. I have not had troubles un-hitching, just bottoming out on inclines.

Picture of under-mounted hitch and picture of front under-mounted A-frame that the hitch is welded to.
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #68

Rip, bottoming out was one of my concerns, I only took it on one trip while the mount was located under the frame, and had no issues then. However the wd was very low on my 250 that caused me concerns (mine is a 4X4 ). Mine was purchased with the coupler mounted on the top, believe me when it was replaced ( on the bottom ) it made a huge difference. I looked at 4 Windjammers they had on the lot, 3 of the 4 had the coupler mounted on top, only one had the coupler on the bottom. I don't know what determines what coupler get welded on the unit when it is born. The main issue with mine was getting the thing unhitched, the other problems came to light when the dealer sent it out to be replaced. I am just glad its back where it should be and I also have my ride height back. My 250 is pretty stout and handles the load well, but with the coupler mounted low, I was not a happy camper, it just looks like trouble to me. I am sure its safe or Forrest River wouldn't put them on..I am very pleased with my dealer getting my back. If you are not pleased with it check with you dealer, the only reason my tt was covered was because of the difficulty of unhitching. Good luck... Chuck "still in Va "
Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #69

Great to hear your about to be (On the Road Agin)!! We Do Love our (V-Noses)! Camp on! Youroo!!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #70

Here are some pic of my newly installed coupler. Everything works great exactly like its supposed to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	57943   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	57944   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	551.1 KB
ID:	57945   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	57946  
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #71

I like those safety chain receiver brackets the welding shop put on,class setup! Looks like a whole NEW style of coupler? Almost a (Middle Mount),looksGood! Youroo!!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #72

They did a great job, tows great, unhitches reasonably well (still a little stiff ) really looks great. I did like the way they mounted the safety chains a little more secure than the factory setup. Can't say enough about the dealer, they kept saying they would make it right and they did, which is something probably unique in this climate nowadays. Just got to put some miles on it now.

Chuck " still in Va "
Old 09-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #73

This Post is for the Members who Cant Find it! It is about WJ and V-Lite Hitchs!! Youroo!!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #74
Georgia Rally Coordinator

It's not we cant find it. Its called post what we ask Why chase around then have to come back. Pages and pages to look boring. Thanks for the leg work yooroo I knew you were go for something. BTW how many pages do I have look at to find the pic? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #75
Arn
Arn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
I never had a problem with my first camper, but do with this one. Same thing, does not want to come off the ball. Last time out an ol' full timer came over and watched me struggle with it. Chatted with me for a bit. Then said, pull the pin outta the hitch and drive the truck off it. When I did that as soon as the hitch left the truck it fell to the ground. He tipped his beer, smiled, and strolled off. When I got home, same problem, used his trick and bang, it fell off. Looks goofy, but it beats fighting with it.
Pull the pin out & DON'T drive the truck off it. Simply raise the jack & the ball will center itself & the hitch will lift off. A whole lot safer than letting everything fall to the ground.

Tags
hitch