Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #21

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
My 3065w Windjammer is at the dealer for some warranty work. Black tank sensors were not working. When I dropped the TT off, once again had a LOT of trouble getting it unhitched. They called service techs and with a lot of hassle they were able to get it unhitched. I have had this problem in the past, when I first purchased it and got it home I had to call the dealer to respond to get it unhitched. The ball mount on my tow vehicle angle was adjusted and they said that should take care of the problem. Finally got to take my first trip, towed fine no problems, even unhitched ok, (not great but OK) I figured it would loosen a little after towing a few hundred miles. Well I did get my sensors repaired and they have determined that the ball hitch on the TT needs to be replaced. They said they have never run into this problem before. So that whole unit needs to be cut off and replaced with a new one, seems kinda bizarre to me. I have towed a lot of trailers mostly boat and equipment trailers and have never run had this issue. The hitch is a WD E2 10,000 lb . This is all under warranty , and no cost to me. Anyone had anything like this before ? Chuck in va
Chuck: I have a 2013 Flagstaff 29RLSS (33') TT. I have the same problem as you have described. I also have a Equalizer 10,000# WD hitch. What I experience is when I lower the TT onto the hitch ball and raise the jack, the lever on the TT hitch will not close into a locked position. I must then raise the trailer hitch connected to the hitch ball until I can move the lever to a closed/locked position. It is imperative that you confirm the TT hitch mechanism did in fact lock around the hitch ball and NOT over the top of the ball, resulting from the lift activity. It appears to be an issue with the angle of the hitch ball, required in the adjustment of the WD hitch. That is my best guess! I simply accomodate the issue and everything is fine. I have tried the grease/lubricant method and no improvement. I would be VERY cautious on cutting the hitch for a replacement. You need a very qualified welder for that project. Not a "part-time" welder."
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #22
Site Team

I admit I scanned rather than read every word in this thread but I
did not see anyone mention liberal greasing all moving parts on the
tongue.
Mine would occasionally refuse to release especially when new.
I greased the heck out of the parts under the tongue that hold
the back side of the ball when hitched.
That made it much easier to un-hitch!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #23

Chuck I see your unit is a (2012) I don't know when they (Stopped/Changed) the Socket location on the (Windjammers/V-Lites) from (Bottom to the Top) of the A-frames,but it seems like there were several (Hook/Unhook) problems with the (Undermount)type! I have the undermount type,at times it is a Bear! Plenty of lube and free to self center for release,still hangs at times?? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I admit I scanned rather than read every word in this thread but I
did not see anyone mention liberal greasing all moving parts on the
tongue.
Mine would occasionally refuse to release especially when new.
I greased the heck out of the parts under the tongue that hold
the back side of the ball when hitched.
That made it much easier to un-hitch!
Post 14 on grease

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #25

I have used LOTS of lube and all the other methods. I just left the dealership and they have checked the angle of the hitch and everything in within specs. If you feel inside the coupler several raised spots can be felt inside the coupler. They are not apparent looking on the outside, could be a casting defect. That could be hanging the ball . They assured me that where they are taking it, they are certified welders. I am familiar with the business and they have a good reputation . The dealer is amazingly real committed to fixing the problem. Frankly I was prepared to live with it, and just find the sweet spot to unhitch the TT. They are bending over backwards to get it fixed. I have not raised H#%% or anything almost too easy, if you know what I mean. I am supposed to get it back next week, I will let you know if it works. Thanks again for the input. Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
Site Team

Good luck Chuck! Keep us posted .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #27

Charles,is your coupler on the Top or Bottom of your A-frame? Youroo!!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #28

The coupler is on top of the A frame. Would that make a difference concerning the alignment of the hitch? I know there is a binding issue which is why it will not release. They have checked my distribution receiver at it is within specs, I understand that it is crucial that it is within specs for it to tow properly. The Windjammer tows great , tracks well and almost no sway when passed by a 18 wheeler. Its just the gosh darn thing will not uncouple all the time. I have had boat trailers along with work trailers that can be contrary at times, but this is unbelievable . When it does release properly it almost surprises me. Well, we will see if the dealer can fix it, they are certainly trying very hard and that's without any pressure from the consumer. Which kinda makes me feel good. Chuck in Va
Old 06-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Must be an equalizer thing... Mine is a pain in the rump to get off sometimes. I have yet to have issues getting it on unless the truck is not quite centered on the hitch then a little wiggle gets it in.

Coming off I need to either jump on the back bumper while jacking the truck up or use my rubber mallet and tap the lock to get it to release. I love the Equalizer so I will not complain, much better than my last WD setup.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Easiest way is just unlatch and raise the tongue with the tongue jack until it unhooks. Just push the button on the jack and start raising it. Guarantee it will break loose pretty quick.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Easiest way is just unlatch and raise the tongue with the tongue jack until it unhooks. Just push the button on the jack and start raising it. Guarantee it will break loose pretty quick.
The tongue lock is what will not release for me so jacking it up won't let go. It seems to get bound up somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 AM   #32
Just a member

Quote:
The coupler is on top of the A frame.
Interesting... looked at Windjammers a few years ago and the couplers were all mounted on the bottom of the frame - much like our Rockwood. Many of the bottom mounted couplers are inverted conventional couplers that have their ball pockets cut out and re-welded to suit the inverted arrangement of the coupler. There may be excess material within the ball pocket that is getting a bite on the ball and giving you the grief. Ours is clean but even so, getting the coupler to let go of the ball can be a bear sometimes. Fortunately we have a stellar (ahem) Lippert tongue jack that is capable of lifting the back of the TV high enough for gravity to do its business.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #33
2014 XLR 27HFS

Even with everything unhooked, mine won't let go. I can lower the jack all I want and it just lifts the truck up. Going back & forth with the truck with a little weight on the jack will eventually get it, but it's putting a lot of front to back pressure on the jack stand which they are not built for. Pulling the pin and driving the truck off it seems better than damaging the jack trying to rock the truck back & forth till it lets go.... and yes, I've tried greasing the heck out of it.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
Playtime III

Bet the TT ball receiver was designed without consideration of using a weight distribution hitch. The WDH head is angled to adjust the distribution (bar tension)geometry. Problem may be that the angled WDH head also angles the ball.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Interesting... looked at Windjammers a few years ago and the couplers were all mounted on the bottom of the frame - much like our Rockwood.
Generally, the couplers on shorter, lower trailers are mounted on the top of the tongue frame, and longer, higher trailers the couplers are mounted to the bottom of the tongue frame. This keeps the couplers in a range which works with most TV recievers.

Of course, this is not a steadfast rule.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #36

Well we will find out, TT was headed for the hitch experts. The company had a hitch in stock so they will use theirs instead of one that Forrest river would would send, plus it makes the job faster, supposed to pick it up on Monday. I will let you know how it works. The dealer said they had never run into this before, if that's the case there are quite a few owners on this site who has similar problems, and just never brought it to the dealers attention. Like I said I was getting ready to just live with it, until they had problems unhitching then the dealer took the initiative to fix it. The dealer did state that last year they had some of the hitch balls that were basically out of round that was causing a major problem unhitching, but this was not the case.

Chuck in Va
Old 06-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Well we will find out, TT was headed for the hitch experts. The company had a hitch in stock so they will use theirs instead of one that Forrest river would would send, plus it makes the job faster, supposed to pick it up on Monday. I will let you know how it works. The dealer said they had never run into this before, if that's the case there are quite a few owners on this site who has similar problems, and just never brought it to the dealers attention. Like I said I was getting ready to just live with it, until they had problems unhitching then the dealer took the initiative to fix it. The dealer did state that last year they had some of the hitch balls that were basically out of round that was causing a major problem unhitching, but this was not the case.

Chuck in Va
I cant believe your Dealer had (Hitch Balls out of Round) that caused this problem! Unless they bought (Seconds)? Youroo!!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #38

An " out of round " hitch ball was not what caused my problem. They believe that the coupler on the TT is faulty or has some defect, we shall see its being replaced. The only other similar problem they had was sometime back and they determined that some were out of round or had a rough casting.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #39

Quote:
An " out of round " hitch ball was not what caused my problem. They believe that the coupler on the TT is faulty or has some defect, we shall see its being replaced. The only other similar problem they had was sometime back and they determined that some were out of round or had a rough casting.
Are you out of pocket for this or is FR going to reimburse you?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Are you out of pocket for this or is FR going to reimburse you?
Sounds like his dealer is footing the bill. Shouldn't be that costly a project as the dealer was ordering a new hitch. Good welding shop shouldn't take over an hr to remove and replace.

Tags
hitch