Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Unhitching problems

My 3065w Windjammer is at the dealer for some warranty work. Black tank sensors were not working. When I dropped the TT off, once again had a LOT of trouble getting it unhitched. They called service techs and with a lot of hassle they were able to get it unhitched. I have had this problem in the past, when I first purchased it and got it home I had to call the dealer to respond to get it unhitched. The ball mount on my tow vehicle angle was adjusted and they said that should take care of the problem. Finally got to take my first trip, towed fine no problems, even unhitched ok, (not great but OK) I figured it would loosen a little after towing a few hundred miles. Well I did get my sensors repaired and they have determined that the ball hitch on the TT needs to be replaced. They said they have never run into this problem before. So that whole unit needs to be cut off and replaced with a new one, seems kinda bizarre to me. I have towed a lot of trailers mostly boat and equipment trailers and have never run had this issue. The hitch is a WD E2 10,000 lb . This is all under warranty , and no cost to me. Anyone had anything like this before ? Chuck in va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
2014 XLR 27HFS

I never had a problem with my first camper, but do with this one. Same thing, does not want to come off the ball. Last time out an ol' full timer came over and watched me struggle with it. Chatted with me for a bit. Then said, pull the pin outta the hitch and drive the truck off it. When I did that as soon as the hitch left the truck it fell to the ground. He tipped his beer, smiled, and strolled off. When I got home, same problem, used his trick and bang, it fell off. Looks goofy, but it beats fighting with it.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Site Team

When you cant get it unhitch , have you tried moving your tv just a little bit? Sometimes there is tooo much tension on the ball.
Other then that never had a problem.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
NELA

We were having the same problem with our V-Lite, discovered that the X chocks were binding so well it "couldn't find center". Either put the TV in neutral or don't put X-chocks on until AFTER unhitching.

Might not be your problem/solution...just sharing our experience.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We were having the same problem with our V-Lite, discovered that the X chocks were binding so well it "couldn't find center". Either put the TV in neutral or don't put X-chocks on until AFTER unhitching.

Might not be your problem/solution...just sharing our experience.
We have never had this problem as we do not put X chocks in before trailer is level front to back and side to side. We have had several different dealers say they should be last item in first item off. Therefore trailer should already be unhitched.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've had it not want to let go a few times. Usually pulling the truck forward 1/2" releases the tension and I can get the hitch to let go. Sometimes it works just by leaning on the truck and giving a little shove, once I had to actually hop back in the cab and pull it forward.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Same here, only towed with this TT and TV two times now, both were a bear to get off. Two nights ago I placed a 3' crow bar under lip of ball hitch and barred down on truck and she popped. Plenty of lube on everything too. Never had this problem and have towed every type trailer for forty years. Thought I was losing my touch.
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

The ball on your hitchhead may need to be tilted slightly back. The ball is catching in the front side of the tongue. imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #9

Thanks, brother Les, I will give a try and post the results. She's set up now, washing and waxing and getting ready for first of season trip in a cpl weeks.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #10

Thanks for the responses. I have tried all those methods, the easiest one was removing the hitch pin and pulling the truck forward, then the whole works falls out just like it was not in a bind. I just not satisfied with that method, it should not be that difficult. Apparently the dealer it not satisfied with those fixes either. I am wondering if Forrest River got a bad bunch of hitches from their supplier. The dealer swears they have never run into this problem before and they are determined to fix it, which is good. Well , we will see after the new tongue hitch is installed. I just hope they know how to weld.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There may be an adjustment on the TT hitch also. Look underneath the hitch head and see if there is a bolt or nut that pulls the drawbar up on ball. It could be too tight. Also, put some lithium grease on the ball and keep a cover on it when not hitched. These may not fix your problem, but it's where I would start.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have tried all those methods, the easiest one was removing the hitch pin and pulling the truck forward, then the whole works falls out just like it was not in a bind. I just not satisfied with that method, it should not be that difficult. Apparently the dealer it not satisfied with those fixes either. I am wondering if Forrest River got a bad bunch of hitches from their supplier. The dealer swears they have never run into this problem before and they are determined to fix it, which is good. Well , we will see after the new tongue hitch is installed. I just hope they know how to weld.
If it falls out when pulled, it is definitely a head adjustment that needs to be changed or you are putting pressure on it with the TV. Would NOT let the dealer cut the trailer hitch head off as it will accomplish nothing.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #13

That makes perfect sense. If it falls out, I doubt it needs a new hitch.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it falls out when pulled, it is definitely a head adjustment that needs to be changed or you are putting pressure on it with the TV. Would NOT let the dealer cut the trailer hitch head off as it will accomplish nothing.
X2 sounds like over kill.???
Grease it up good and find the sweet spot when unhitching.
Too much tension on the ball n coupler and mine wont unhitch either.
Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The ball mount on my tow vehicle angle was adjusted and they said that should take care of the problem.
Adjusting the head assembly angle will affect weight distributing.

Make sure that the current angle is correct for weight distribution.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
I never had a problem with my first camper, but do with this one. Same thing, does not want to come off the ball. Last time out an ol' full timer came over and watched me struggle with it. Chatted with me for a bit. Then said, pull the pin outta the hitch and drive the truck off it. When I did that as soon as the hitch left the truck it fell to the ground. He tipped his beer, smiled, and strolled off. When I got home, same problem, used his trick and bang, it fell off. Looks goofy, but it beats fighting with it.
Have done this move many times to release...
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Adjusting the head assembly angle will affect weight distributing.

Make sure that the current angle is correct for weight distribution.
Any change made to adjustments of a W/D hitch affects other adjustments for (Proper Setup)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
I would be more satisfied with this method then cutting off and replacing tongue

Have you tried pulling forward by inches after you have backed up insto spot etc, just to relieve tension before trying to unhitch. If it is falling off after pullint hitch pin, you are in a bind situation then and sometimes this is from backing up and/or backng up a slight hill or incline as this will lock it up tight.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #19

For those who remove the hitch pin and drive forward time after time should be very aware that that is not really a safe practice. There will come a time that the hitch will bind or the angle will be bad and something unexpected will happen. Find out why the ball head is sticking in the tongue and rectify that.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #20

I have found that there is more of an issue with our Windjammer than our previous Jayco, it would bind from time to time but usually pushing the hitch with my foot it would drop out. I have had an issue releasing the latch like the ball was too far back against so I move the truck forward a hair and then it ends up too far forward and have to move back for a clean release.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch