Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #1

Update - Notes from first trip out with 8289WS

Well, just completed the first trip out with our new 8289WS and first towing with a 5er. First off, towing, as all say, is much nicer with the 5er! Truck actually handles much better and rides smoother.

Overall, the trip went well. Took a couple of time to get the hitch and king pin at the right heights to lock in but much easier the next time. At the campsite one of the landing gear legs was not moving. Come to find out, the bolt on the motor side must have been loose and had sheared off during the raising of them prior to leaving. During transit it loosened enough to finally fail upon trying to put weight on it. So, ended up taking the good bolt from the other side that had all sorts of clearance and putting a screwdriver through the that one until I could get unhitched and into town to get new Grade 8 replacement bolts. All replaced and feel much better now.

Loved having the two A/C units. They will really come in handy during the hot summer months. Everything seemed to work as intended. Only a couple of minor annoyances. As some have mentioned the fridge fan can be a bit noisey if it everything else is quiet. Second, if I turn the lights over the bathroom sink on, it freezes the TV signal. Love the new glass cover for the stove, the recliners and awning lights! Having a separate galley and gray tank sure does give you lots of capacity. Barely filled them over the weekend.

Looking forward to camping in it the rest of the summer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2097.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	30960   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2110.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	30961   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2105.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	30962  
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

Looked like a nice site you picked out, Tom. Where was it?
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

Site #4 in Eagle Campground at Carter Lake, just outside Berthoud, Colorado. One of our favorite close spots to go to!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

Very nice unit, would love to see more interior pics.
Your campsite pic made me do a double take. It looks like your site is very sloped and you have a pile of 10 blocks under the front tire, passenger side.
Nice site!
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Terrific 5er! You'll have lots of fun in that! congrats! My FR 2608WS TT also freezes the Television when I turn on the bathroom power. Can't find any reason for that one...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #6

crunchman..just noticed what you see. It does look like they are under the front tire. They are under the step with a step support. I have more pics posted in my album. Doverfel, I'm going to ask the dealer to see if they can figure it out.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

Nice!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
crunchman..just noticed what you see. It does look like they are under the front tire. They are under the step with a step support. I have more pics posted in my album. Doverfel, I'm going to ask the dealer to see if they can figure it out.
Do the step supports make a noticeable difference? I get a lot of side to side rocking when we step on our steps. I have wondered if that would help?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post
Terrific 5er! You'll have lots of fun in that! congrats! My FR 2608WS TT also freezes the Television when I turn on the bathroom power. Can't find any reason for that one...
Are these lights LEDs that you are turning on? If they are, some of the LEDs give off RF interference and that is probably what is doing it. I changed my bulbs over to LEDs over the winter and noticed a LOT of interference in the TV and radio when they are on.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

Congrats on the new unit neighbor! My wife and I want to visit that camp ground soon. We live in Northglenn.
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #11

Crunchman - It does make a difference. Step does not flex. I had issues on the last trailer where a couple of the rivets gave out and sent me tumbling. This takes the pressure off of them and keeps the unit from rocking.

Golfmedik - They are LEDs (the new Rockwood Signatures have all bulbs standard as LEDs). Any other light can be on except for the ones directly over the sink in the bathroom. Probably RF since they are the closest fixture to the antenna. There is one light in the hallway I should try as well that is about the same distance. Not a huge deal but just annoying.