Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Upgraded to Maxxis tires

So a week or so ago I replied to a thread about OEM tires. I have been reading all these threads about bad Chinese tires. So I looked at my brand new Rockwood 8286WS, with the only mileage being from the dealer to my house, and sure enough it came with these cheap Chinese tires.
After going back and forth with differing opinions on whether to change them or not, I decided to go ahead and replace them. The major deciding factor was; my camper has a GVW of 9600lbs. The max weight of each tire was listed at 2150 per tire x 4 = 8600lbs. Those tires covered the dry weight of 7800 but not the gvw. The new tires combined max weight limit is 11,500lbs. Whether it was necessary or not, I feel much more confident about taking my trips now. I just dont understand how they can skimp on something so important.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

Hopefully your rims can handle the higher pressures. Many OEM C rated tire rims are only rated at 65 lbs pressure, some even at 50 lbs.

I agree that C rated tires are marginal for your rig, but remember that pin weight does not ride on the tires.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
You are forgetting to subtract your loaded pin weight from your GVW. Your dry pin weight is 1411, it will probably be up to 1600 loaded and that subtracted from your gross weight of 9480 equals 7880 on your old Chinese tires that are rated for 8600lbs. Looks to me there was enough margin.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcamper View Post
So a week or so ago I replied to a thread about OEM tires. I have been reading all these threads about bad Chinese tires. So I looked at my brand new Rockwood 8286WS, with the only mileage being from the dealer to my house, and sure enough it came with these cheap Chinese tires.
Don't forget the mileage from the Elkhart, IN area to your dealer with your rig being pulled by a guy/gal getting paid by the unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcamper View Post
After going back and forth with differing opinions on whether to change them or not, I decided to go ahead and replace them. The major deciding factor was; my camper has a GVW of 9600lbs. The max weight of each tire was listed at 2150 per tire x 4 = 8600lbs. Those tires covered the dry weight of 7800 but not the gvw. The new tires combined max weight limit is 11,500lbs. Whether it was necessary or not, I feel much more confident about taking my trips now. I just dont understand how they can skimp on something so important.
Good choice - Goodyear's are my brand of poison but they are just about the same. Good idea bumping up a load rating. According to all my research AND asking the guys at the tire shop your rims should do fine.

2 things you may want to consider:

1. Take the tires back to the shop and have metal valve stems put in and spin balanced to 65MPH. (If you have not already done so).
2. Invest in a Tire Pressure/Temp monitor. Most of us on the forums use the TST Model 507 (Google truck systems technology)

Happy camping!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
You are forgetting to subtract your loaded pin weight from your GVW. Your dry pin weight is 1411, it will probably be up to 1600 loaded and that subtracted from your gross weight of 9480 equals 7880 on your old Chinese tires that are rated for 8600lbs. Looks to me there was enough margin.
Ahhh! I had a feeling the math couldn't have been that easy! lol. To tell you the truth, after experiencing a blow out in my old TT, I dont even care if the rating was ok. These tires are 10 ply and the originals were only 5! They felt almost mushy when off the rims. No stiffness to them compared to the new ones.
I will invest in a pressure monitoring system soon also. Thanks everyone for the imput.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Don't forget the mileage from the Elkhart, IN area to your dealer with your rig being pulled by a guy/gal getting paid by the unit

Good choice - Goodyear's are my brand of poison but they are just about the same. Good idea bumping up a load rating. According to all my research AND asking the guys at the tire shop your rims should do fine.

2 things you may want to consider:

1. Take the tires back to the shop and have metal valve stems put in and spin balanced to 65MPH. (If you have not already done so).
2. Invest in a Tire Pressure/Temp monitor. Most of us on the forums use the TST Model 507 (Google truck systems technology)

Happy camping!
Yes I did have them high speed balanced. And that TST 507 is the unit I was looking at. Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

My factory tires were 6 ply rated at 50 pounds pressure. I went with Maxxis 8 ply rated at 65 pounds pressure (psi). As I recall, the 10 ply were almost the same amount of money but I believe the recommended pressure was like 80 pounds. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on that) I chose the 8 ply for more margin on weight but only jumping up to 65 pound pressure. I just did not want to have to worry if the wheels would handle the pressure. Discount Tire assured me I was fine on the 65 pounds pressure. I also had rubber stems replaced with metal.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #8

One other factor you might consider is tire availability when out and about. I was pretty dead set on the Maxxis as well until I tried calling around trying to find someone that carried them or could get them in within a reasonable amount of time. Ultimately, I ended up with Marathons.

Of the places I called about half or so had the marathons in stock and the ones that didn't could have them in within a day or two. With the Maxxis... I didn't find anyone locally that had them in-stock, and order times were more like 7-10 business days.

If I have a blowout on the road, I certainly don't want to be stranded that long waiting on a tire.. or having to buy a "get me by" tire + a new Maxxis. Ultimately, nationwide availability won out over the performance gain.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #9

Well I have been looking at tires to replace the Power Kings made in China,however, it seems that all the trailer tires are made in China, Vietnam or Korea. Where do you find decent tires and what brand are they. This is my 3rd 5er and never had a worry about tires before reading this forum. Towed from Atlanta to Illinois and back, to Florida, Columbia, SC, Hendersonville, NC and never a problem but never took notice of the tires other than to inflate them correctly.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
Well I have been looking at tires to replace the Power Kings made in China,however, it seems that all the trailer tires are made in China, Vietnam or Korea. Where do you find decent tires and what brand are they. This is my 3rd 5er and never had a worry about tires before reading this forum. Towed from Atlanta to Illinois and back, to Florida, Columbia, SC, Hendersonville, NC and never a problem but never took notice of the tires other than to inflate them correctly.
I assume there are many more stories just like yours, but most of those people dont post about their success. Granted there are tons of horror stories about the Chinese tires, but keep in mind many are not maintaining and inspecting them as they should, and also overloading their trailers.
I am also contemplating replacing our China Bombs. All ST tires are manufactured overseas now, and even though Goodyear moved their mfr of Marathons to China, I have more confidence in their mfr process than many of the no name brands coming out of China. My research keeps leading me back to taking a closer look at 8 ply, Load Range E, LT tires, where there are many more choices and ability to buy North American made.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

About to pull the trigger on a new 5er. It has G rated Goodyears on it , the unit has been on the dealers lot almost a year. My general question is , should I go ahead and swap them out for new ones due to the age and sit time or not. Needless to say the only mileage on them would be from factory to dealer............let me know your thoughts
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I was advised to do the balance with the TST's on the stem. Though they are small and light they do effect the balance.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #13

My China Bombs on my new RW 2608 are C rated which surprised me. I just purchased the TST 507 in the meantime before a go w/ Maxxis next yr. I hope to move up to the D rating. Should that be an easy switch onto OEM rims?
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #14

I went from C to D on our OEM wheels. As long as you are running those C's keep a close eye on them.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Upgraded to Maxxis tires

Rob, depends on what size tires you have.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

from what I know about the only way to not buy the Chinese or other similar tires is to switch to a light truck tire. I know alot of people have done that too. But then you still have to research it to avoid overseas products.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #17

I upgraded to Maxxis tires last month. Three of my China-bombs had about 12K miles on them. The forth had been replaced last year with a Maxxis. We have a local independent dealer that stocks Maxxis in many sizes. Metal stems and balanced for sure. Mine were Tow Max... and had begun to separate. I'm glad I went on with it. I hate being out on the side of the road.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
One other factor you might consider is tire availability when out and about. I was pretty dead set on the Maxxis as well until I tried calling around trying to find someone that carried them or could get them in within a reasonable amount of time. Ultimately, I ended up with Marathons.

Of the places I called about half or so had the marathons in stock and the ones that didn't could have them in within a day or two. With the Maxxis... I didn't find anyone locally that had them in-stock, and order times were more like 7-10 business days.

If I have a blowout on the road, I certainly don't want to be stranded that long waiting on a tire.. or having to buy a "get me by" tire + a new Maxxis. Ultimately, nationwide availability won out over the performance gain.

I agree. That is awesome advice to live by. Goodyear has a large presence here in the Northeast where I mostly travel. Not sure about other parts of the country but I suspect it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #19

You guys are scaring me with the talk of the rims not being able to withstand the higher pressure of the new tires. I am thinking of moving up from E rated to G which I believe requires pressure of 110 lbs. How can I know for sure if my rims will withstand the higher pressure.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #20

you will more than likely have to break the tire down , it is usually stamped on the inside of the wheel.....before you do that check on the back side of the wheel. It will be stamped in one place or the other
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, upgrade