Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #1

Valve Stems

Went to check the air in the tires for the first time on my 8289WS 2013 and when I went to place the air gauge I noticed the valve stem had cracks in it. Walked around to check all of the stems and all were rotten. Called the dealer and had to take it back to see if the factory will fix under warranty. Be sure to check at your pdi and don't accept it , because they will try to put it off on you.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Went to check the air in the tires for the first time on my 8289WS 2013 and when I went to place the air gauge I noticed the valve stem had cracks in it. Walked around to check all of the stems and all were rotten. Called the dealer and had to take it back to see if the factory will fix under warranty. Be sure to check at your pdi and don't accept it , because they will try to put it off on you.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right for a 2013 model. It makes me wonder about a few things.

1. Were the wheels and/or tires old is the first thing that comes to mind. I think it would be wise to also check your tire D.O.T. dates to see how old the tires are too. It's possible some old stuff got put on by either the ones supplying the tires/wheels, or could have possibly even been swapped out at the dealers lot (ie they needed the tire/wheels off of one unit in order to make the sale on another unit. This does happen with dealers swapping parts).

2. If anyone used petro-chemical cleaners on the wheels/tires/stems? That will also eat them up.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Ask for the metal style valve stems.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Ask for the metal style valve stems.
X2
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Planning to replace the cheap OEM tires with new and metal stems on my 2013 next year. I wanted to change them out at sale time, however, the dealer didn't do tires. I decided I could go a year, but not willing to use them any longer than that. The original stems and tires are really soft.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote