Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

Ventilation Fan Wiring

HI All,

Bought a 2011 8285WS a few weeks back and thought I was having problems with the ventilation fan in the bathroom. It took me a while, but finally realized the fan was hooked the the switched side of one of the light switches in the bathroom and the only time it would operate is when the light is on. The fan has it's own separate switch and fuse. Is everyone else's like this or just me? Why would I want a light on if I was running the fan for ventilation for several hours?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

If yours is like mine, the actual light fixture also has it's own switch. You simply just turn on the wall switch, that turns on the lights and fan power, and then switch the light off at the light fixture. Problem solved!! Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
If yours is like mine, the actual light fixture also has it's own switch. You simply just turn on the wall switch, that turns on the lights and fan power, and then switch the light off at the light fixture. Problem solved!! Randy

Ditto what Randy said.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

I would have preferred two wall switches, one for the light and one for the fan as in most houses. Alas, FR didn't consult me, as of course they should have.

I have taken to leaving the wall switch on all the time and controlling lights and fan from their own switches. My floor plan has the "jonny in a box" style bathroom, so finding these switches, even in the dark, isn't an issue.

Unless you have kids that can't reach the ceiling.

All of my other ceiling light fixtures have a switch built into them. Then also some, as in the kitchen, also have a wall switch. This sometimes leads to a bit of fumbling around in the dark as BOTH switches must be on for the light to work.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #5

Mine works the same way. I haven't looked into it but I would think one might be able to add another wall switch for the fan. Based on your description, which is the same set up as mine, the power for both the light and fan have to come from the switch and run separately to each. I would think adding another switch for the fan would be possible.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input. I haven't pulled the switch, but why didn't they hook it to the unswitched side of the light switch and pick up the power there? The fan still has it's own separate switch. I'm gonna check into it when I get a chance.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #7

I'm replacing the mini wall switch tomorrow on my V lite, and when I remove it, if I see separate fan and light wires, I'll put in a double large house sized residential switch- one side for each thing. I'll post back here tomorrow with the results! Randy
Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Sounds good. Let us know. I know I could use the ceiling light switch, but I'm used to the way it is at home. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #9

Well, I just replaced the switch with a lager residential style like I wanted, and the wires supplying it are from 2 separate sources as far as I can tell; there is a pair of wires made together (like a lamp power cord would be) that are white, and white w/red tracer, that the one wire comes to the switch from, say white w/tracer, and the other one from another paired together set that uses the solid white wire from that. I'm guessing pos. from say the fan, and neg. from the light?? I'm just hooking the bigger switch up, and calling it a day. Randy

Tags
fan, rockwood