Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

Want info on Rockwood 2702SS

We've not actually been inside a 2702SS, but based on viewing various Roos and other Ultralite models we believe that the 2702SS is the trailer for us. We're a family of 4 (5 counting the dog) with two young kids. Unfortunately there isn't a 2702SS for about three hundred miles (based on RVTrader search).

1. I'd love to hear any experiences from 2701/2702SS owners whether good or bad.
  2. Does anyone have a picture of their 2702SS setup with awning extended?
  3. Being mid-summer here in MN and the lead time quoted us by our local dealer (8-12 weeks) we are probably looking at a spring delivery. My understanding is that Rockwood is currently building the 2014 models. Does anyone know when they will be switching to the 2015 model year? Does the model year switchover typically correspond to a factory "shutdown" that I've heard about?
  4. Our planned tow vehicle (TV) is a 2008 Sequoia (5.7L V8, towing GVWR of 7300 lbs). Is anyone using a comparable sequoia to tow a 2702SS (or similar) Rockwood Ultralite? Weight wise, I think we're in good shape.
  5. I was reading a thread about water leakage on the 2702SS when the slide is extended. Is it known if the mini-awnings that cover the slide out help to alleviate this problem?
  6. Any experience with holding tank heaters? Given that the underside is enclosed (my understanding), how cold does it need to get before you worry about the holding tanks starting to freeze up? We're not (currently) planning to do any winter camping, but with MN weather you never know what you might run into late spring or early fall.
Thanks for any and all responses. The forum reading that I've done so far has been very informative.
MNFamilyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Apologies on the potentially misleading subject line. I tried to edit it, but apparently the change didn't stick. This isn't a want-ad, just looking for information.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

Anyone?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

I have the 2608WS with a front kitchen. Don't know much about the one you are looking at. Just a couple of suggestions to look at. Location of fresh water tank if you do any dry dock camping. Makes a big difference in towing. Check the top of trailer and the slides before purchasing. Look for any tears on the rubber.

I have seen some post about leaks on here, may have to search for them. Sorry that I was not much help.

Tom
Tom Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wolf View Post
I have the 2608WS with a front kitchen. Don't know much about the one you are looking at. Just a couple of suggestions to look at. Location of fresh water tank if you do any dry dock camping. Makes a big difference in towing. Check the top of trailer and the slides before purchasing. Look for any tears on the rubber.

I have seen some post about leaks on here, may have to search for them. Sorry that I was not much help.
That's a nice layout. I really like the floorplans with dual-entry doors. Where is your fresh water tank? I assume further back on the unit is better than forward (less added tongue weight)? I have seen some mention of leaks in the slide "gaskets", I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Any luck finding one to look at? I'm in the same boat. Love the layout but want to see one before I order it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
lenny2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

Sorry I did not respond faster. Got busy.

The fresh water tank is at the very rear of the trailer. I think they should have put it over the axles. With it placed at the rear, I was told that I should not carry my generators on the carrying rack that I added. I like them back there because it makes it easy to plug into them. But now they make it to heavy for towing and I get whip lash motion because of placement of the water tank combined with the generators. (Two Honda 2000 generators)

The bathroom configuration is to small. To get out of the shower you have to have the door open into the living area. When the wife has the windows open, I either scare other campers or make them happy. Not sure which.

I have not had the slides leak but I do see day light when the big slide is in and I look behind the couch. They are not sealed the best.

We do like the trailer a lot, but if we had to do it again, we would not buy another one from RNR in Spokane. We were not treated very well by them when we needed repairs. Cost us a lot of money for something that should have been covered by the warranty.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2702ss, rockwood