Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #1

Warranty Work

I purchased a 2012 rockwood 5th wheel trailer from a dealer 150 miles from my house because nobody had the trailer i wanted in my area and everyone said it would be 6 to 8 weeks to get one. Wheni got my new trailer home i found out that the entrance door was rubbing .I checked the jamb and found out that the door is not square i have called the dealers in my area and they said that they will not do warranty work on trailers that they did not sell. what is the deal can you tell me were i can take it to have it fixed I work during the week and the dealer that i purchased it from is not open on weekends.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #2

Can you not have someone take the camper back to the dealer for you?
Did you not notice the door was rubbing when you bought it?
Is the trailer level, and were you careful to shim the front landing gear legs so they carry equal loads? It is easy to twist these lightweight campers, which could cause your door to rub.
And exactly what do you mean that the door is not square? How did you determine that?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

contact FR warranty and ask if there's a dealer or shop near you to take it to.
i bought my Roo from a dealer 2000 miles away and they found 3 places local that i could take it to.
or i could take it to an independent RV shop and, with approval, pay for the repair and then FR would reimburse me.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply
I did not notice it hanging up at the dealer, I am a general engineering contractor so i know how a door is suppose to work . I have my trailer sitting on a level pad and the stabilizers are all equal. I have tried re hooking the trailer to the truck and moving to another spot and re leveling it it does not make a differance. when the trailer is level i have checked tie door jamb it is plumb and level the door shows a gap at the bottom and touching at the top on the latch side . the trim around the door does not have any sings of the jam shifting.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #5

If you are an engineering contractor, then you probably know the obvious quick fix? Stick a thin board in between the door and the jamb where it is sticking, and give it a "tweak".
I realise doing that to a brand new camper seems a tad extreme, but if it works, you have just saved yoruself a lot of grief. If it doesn't work, then your door may have been built out-of-square, and would need to be replaced.
You mentioned that the dealer you bought from isn't open on weekends? What kind of cheapo dealership is that? I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you can change the door, so, I would contact Forrest River. Have pictures of a square hanging on the door, showing it to be the defect, if you are sure it is, and ask them to ship you a door, and you will change it with no labor charge. Make sure they do include shipping back of the old door if they want it. They pay about $65 an hour for labor, and a door swap is good hour labor, will have to remove latch assembly and install in the new door. By the way, dealer I work for gets $95 an hour for labor, that is why most won't do warranty work on a trailer they didn't sell, too much of a loss.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Good point Windrider. I think that is why the company is so often very happy to ship out parts directly to the owner, no questions asked. If they can save themselves the cost and hassle of going through the dealer, why wouldn't they?
And I agree, if Digger can show that the door is indeed not sqaure, I am sure that FR would quickly send one out. And I doubt they would bother taking the old one back.
Hope Digger can get his door fixed, one way or the other.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

I have had a few different types and brands of rvs and they have all had the door problem that you are talking about. After I watched my dealer bend the door hinges to get it to close. I thought to myself I could do that myself and save the gas and time! I hope everything works out for you.