Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #1

Warranty work from another dealer

Has anybody tried to have warranty work (or any work) performed by another Rockwood/Forest River dealer other than the one you purchased the unit from. What was their attitude since you didn't buy from us? If you bought it here then we would take care of it.
Any one experience this kind of behavior? What did you do?
Kennyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

We bought a Travel Trailer,we have had issues that needed (Warr Work) far from our Dealer,(1000s of miles)! The F/R Dealers worked on our unit! Youroo!! We paid the Dealer after getting the (OK) from F/R! Then F/R paid us!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Always Learning

Just know that no RV dealer *must* work on your unit. It's their choice. And it's their choice how far down the list you go.

That said, with the help of the Sabre manager, I've gotten help 900 miles from home. In one case, they billed FR directly. I may need some more help and will probably pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by FR.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Apples and oranges

The previous posters cited on-the-road instances. I believe most FR dealers would step up and help you get on your way. How could you have been a new-purchase customer if you live 900 mi. away? (Apples)
Now to the oranges. You live in the town where the dealer sells FR products, but you drive out of town to buy your trailer. Now that's a whole 'nother thing, isn't it?
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Not directly experienced, as our dealer is somewhat local, but a friend of my brother's was telling me about how the other dealer in town (that we didn't buy from) refused to do paid work (winterizing) on his fifth wheel because he bought it stateside and didn't buy from them.

My dealer on the other hand will work on rigs they didn't sell, but they do tend to get pushed down the list.

It's really up to each dealer. While we might think it's unwise to turn away a potential new customer, the dealer's probably have good reason, either by having hassles in getting payment, their service staff are already overloaded, or any other number of possibilities.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #6

Warranty work from another dealer

I have also heard that warranty work is paid for by Forest River at a lesser amount than most dealers normally charge.

My last trip in I had a couple of warranty items taken care of but also had several other discretionary items done at my expense. Wheel bearings packed, roof treatment, plumbing around inside water filter. I am sure that the dealer probably liked that extra money at their going rate. And I know, yes I could have done every one of those items myself but I am at the age that I choose my battles very carefully.

I was at a dealer up in Arkansas in late summer looking for step covers and I just casually asked the guy if they worked on Rockwood trailers. His very hateful response was: "not unless you bought it here."

Merry Christmas everyone.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #7

Last year I shopped three FR dealers in our area (Sacramento). I ultimately purchased our rig from Wana RV in Indiana. Made a trip out of picking it up, toured the factory, and still saved money. Our local dealer (Phil @ RV Travel World), who we had purchased our previous rig from, was so mad we purchased out of state that he told me not to bother bringing it in to his shop for any work. Certainly his prerogative but not good customer relations. In any case, I have had no problem with FR in taking my rig to other RV repair facilities for warranty work. Especially good was Affordable RV in Newcastle, California. They had my rig repaired within a week and when I picked it up the technician reviewed with me the repairs he had completed and actually had photos on his smartphone to show me specifics. Bottom line is FR will honor warranty work at shops other than FR dealers as long as there is prior approval for the work.
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

Major dealer in Billings , Mt ,sevice mgr flat out told me "we didn't sell it , we don't work on it" ..........
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Site Team

i researched this issue for a long time, knowing we would buy our new HTT outside of California, due to the high prices there.
i contacted the Rockwood Roo rep for a list of local dealers that would do the warranty work, even if i didn't buy from them.
i had already been warned by the 3 local Roo dealers, that they would NOT do the warranty work if i bought from another dealer.

we bought from a dealer, 2000 miles away, who had the right one for the right price.
we brought it back and never had an issue getting warranty work done, other than we weren't going to be first in line. that was fine, since i waited till the season was over and got free storage until they got to it.
one dealer that did the work, didn't even sell any FR products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Retired

Had it happen with my last Keystone trailer that I purchased 500 miles away and same thing with my neighbour who had a FR trailer he didn't buy locally.

For me it was "you're gonna pay for the work and then YOU can submit the bill to Keystone for payment." The dealer had my trailer for 2 months before looking at it and then gave me a bill for $522.00 to adjust a slide under warranty. Keystone did reimburse me.

For my neighbour with the FR product... "you're gonna pay for the work and then you can submit the bill to FR for payment." He remembered my 2 month wait so he took the trailer home and fixed it himself out of pocket.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #11

Three options:
1. Fix it yourself if relatively minor and you have the skill (my preference)
2. Ask a local dealer to fix under warranty - this may or may not happen depending on a number of factors. Unlike auto dealers, RV dealers are not obligated to do warranty service on a RV purchased elsewhere, but some will. My local dealer told me that he would service my RV, but I would be on the bottom of the priority list.
3. Go to local dealer or independent shop and pay them upfront, then submit a warranty claim to FR. I did this once and was successful.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #12

Warranty work

Purchased our 282RKX in September 2013. Took ownership the end of November. Had a couple issues that I either fixed myself and a couple minor things that the dealer fixed. Discovered that the axle(s) were out of alignment in March and took it in to the dealer in April. They called and confirmed that one axle was off by a half inch and that they were waiting for the go ahead from the "manufacturer." I picked the trailer up in mid June so I could at least get some use out of it. It still had not been fixed when I picked it up. Fought some more with the dealer about fixing it; even leaving it with them again. I finally gave up and went back and picked it up towards the end of September. They never did fix it. I inquired of another FR dealer in the area if they could fix it. They never did respond even after a couple of inquiries. Trailer never has been fixed and is now out of warranty.
My opinion is that the warranties are a total waste and not worth the paper they are written on. This is the last new RV for me. My next one will be a year or two old and I'll worry myself about fixing any issues that come up from the money that I save by buying used. I am disgusted with FR dealers and FR for their lack of interest in honoring their warrantie.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivnut

I needed a slide adjustment, called Dandy RV in Anniston AL told him I was traveling to FL next week, he said it was a small job, bring it in under warranty, spent two hours on it and sent me on my way. He said yes he will do warranty work, just schedule it in winter time with notice. He said warranty work makes customers later.
Rivnut
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #14

gthomp10
had a similar issue while on a trip to the New England states------ended up at a spring and axle shop in Barre Vt that dealt with mainly trucks---------a few hours and $250 later was on our way------ They did a great job---seek out a similar type shop , pay the bill and Enjoy -----------easier than the "warranty hassle"
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #15

I knew other owners would have had problems with local dealers especially if the purchase was not through them. Seems the way things are these days.
To me it is no different buying a Ford Pickup in Michigan then moving to California and getting the song and dance that if you didn't buy it from us, we are not going to work on it. The manufactures should jerk their dealerships. We bought an aftermarket extended warranty that says we can pick who and where we can take it. Doesn't have to be a FR dealer. After a couple nasty comments from our local dealer my trailer will never see their lot or get any positive comments. Future purchases???? Righhhht. Referals Righhht
Kennyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Team Bleu

Warranty at a different dealer

We just had its of warranty work done and not by the original dealer, they where just un reliable. Bought a new class A Georgetown XL, seat wore along the edges, had some problems with the toilet, broken floor plate at the table, and a few other upgrades we did, and the other dealer inn Lakeland, Florida took me right in, FR got them all the replacements and I headed on back to NY. They had it for 8 days and they washed, cleaned and filled propane at no extra.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #17

Before I purchased our Wildcat from up in IN. I called a few local dealers and asked if they would do warranty work on a unit if I purchased it out of state. Each asked why I would go so far to purchase a unit with local dealers so near by. I explained that it was a discontinued model that were no longer available and could not be ordered any longer. Each dealer then said not a problem, if you need us we're here.

I also did the same thing when I was looking at a Keystone trailer and received the same responses.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Before I purchased our Wildcat from up in IN. I called a few local dealers and asked if they would do warranty work on a unit if I purchased it out of state. Each asked why I would go so far to purchase a unit with local dealers so near by. I explained that it was a discontinued model that were no longer available and could not be ordered any longer. Each dealer then said not a problem, if you need us we're here.
That's the key. Explaining why you're buying elsewhere before you need service. I stored my Sunline at a local dealership's lot. When it came time to buy new, I sat down with the owner, gave him our "wants" list and asked if he sold anything meeting our specs. He didn't so off I went to RVW. He said he'd do warranty work for me. Fortunately, I never needed him to do any, but he was willing.
Do your homework ahead of time. Don't ambush the guy. And by all means drop by the service dept. (when you don't need any help) and leave a box of doughnuts in the break room.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #19

I have had my Windjammer in for warranty work 3 times since I purchased it 2 years ago. I did not purchase it from the local dealer (Giant Recreation World in Melbourne FL) as he does not sell them but I have always been treated as if I had purchased from them.

When I asked they told me work is work and they are happy to get it from where ever it comes. I guess the dealers that will not work on any unit unless they sold it have more work and revenue than they need.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #20

Two of our local dealers are affiliated w/national chains, so during big promo events they have prices very near wholesalers - so no need for us to travel far to get a good deal... Friends & family have purchased from both & have mixed good & bad experiences with both. The biggest gripe (for either) is how long repairs can take because they have to get approval, order & wait for parts & then place your rig next in line when the parts arrive...

However, the dealer we eventually purchased our TT from (General RV in N. Canton) just added a 2nd repair facility w/10-12 bays. Our sales person was proud of their expanded facility & eager to take time to show me around... On one pre-purchase visit, we ducked into the maintenance shop to get out of the rain & they were already utilizing most of the new bays... IMO they seem a little more committed to post-sale support.

In comparison, our sales guy at CW made me walk back & forth with questions about each TT while he sat & ate donuts... (So that's where your donuts will end-up, awellis3, if you attempt to bribe the starving maintenance guys to move your unit along...) After I removed my jacket the sales guy thought I was a new customer, so I walked-out & never returned. (Although I do buy stuff from their CW store...)

At General RV we also completed our PDI on a very busy sales promo weekend, and the maintenance staff was still very thorough & patient - staying well after hours to tweak everything to our satisfaction. We camped for 30 days & had no maintenance issues so IMO they did a good job of prepping our (used) TT.

Because the RV you get is only as good as the final dealer prep, I would argue that you should buy your RV from the dealer that has the better service department. If they are limited on staff, space & time your new RV will leave the door with issues...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty