Old 12-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Warranty work from another dealer

Has anybody tried to have warranty work (or any work) performed by another Rockwood/Forest River dealer other than the one you purchased the unit from. What was their attitude since you didn't buy from us? If you bought it here then we would take care of it.
Any one experience this kind of behavior? What did you do?

Kennyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
We bought a Travel Trailer,we have had issues that needed (Warr Work) far from our Dealer,(1000s of miles)! The F/R Dealers worked on our unit! Youroo!! We paid the Dealer after getting the (OK) from F/R! Then F/R paid us!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Just know that no RV dealer *must* work on your unit. It's their choice. And it's their choice how far down the list you go.

That said, with the help of the Sabre manager, I've gotten help 900 miles from home. In one case, they billed FR directly. I may need some more help and will probably pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by FR.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
Apples and oranges

The previous posters cited on-the-road instances. I believe most FR dealers would step up and help you get on your way. How could you have been a new-purchase customer if you live 900 mi. away? (Apples)
Now to the oranges. You live in the town where the dealer sells FR products, but you drive out of town to buy your trailer. Now that's a whole 'nother thing, isn't it?
Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Team
Not directly experienced, as our dealer is somewhat local, but a friend of my brother's was telling me about how the other dealer in town (that we didn't buy from) refused to do paid work (winterizing) on his fifth wheel because he bought it stateside and didn't buy from them.

My dealer on the other hand will work on rigs they didn't sell, but they do tend to get pushed down the list.

It's really up to each dealer. While we might think it's unwise to turn away a potential new customer, the dealer's probably have good reason, either by having hassles in getting payment, their service staff are already overloaded, or any other number of possibilities.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Warranty work from another dealer

I have also heard that warranty work is paid for by Forest River at a lesser amount than most dealers normally charge.

My last trip in I had a couple of warranty items taken care of but also had several other discretionary items done at my expense. Wheel bearings packed, roof treatment, plumbing around inside water filter. I am sure that the dealer probably liked that extra money at their going rate. And I know, yes I could have done every one of those items myself but I am at the age that I choose my battles very carefully.

I was at a dealer up in Arkansas in late summer looking for step covers and I just casually asked the guy if they worked on Rockwood trailers. His very hateful response was: "not unless you bought it here."

Merry Christmas everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Last year I shopped three FR dealers in our area (Sacramento). I ultimately purchased our rig from Wana RV in Indiana. Made a trip out of picking it up, toured the factory, and still saved money. Our local dealer (Phil @ RV Travel World), who we had purchased our previous rig from, was so mad we purchased out of state that he told me not to bother bringing it in to his shop for any work. Certainly his prerogative but not good customer relations. In any case, I have had no problem with FR in taking my rig to other RV repair facilities for warranty work. Especially good was Affordable RV in Newcastle, California. They had my rig repaired within a week and when I picked it up the technician reviewed with me the repairs he had completed and actually had photos on his smartphone to show me specifics. Bottom line is FR will honor warranty work at shops other than FR dealers as long as there is prior approval for the work.
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Major dealer in Billings , Mt ,sevice mgr flat out told me "we didn't sell it , we don't work on it" ..........
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant
i researched this issue for a long time, knowing we would buy our new HTT outside of California, due to the high prices there.
i contacted the Rockwood Roo rep for a list of local dealers that would do the warranty work, even if i didn't buy from them.
i had already been warned by the 3 local Roo dealers, that they would NOT do the warranty work if i bought from another dealer.

we bought from a dealer, 2000 miles away, who had the right one for the right price.
we brought it back and never had an issue getting warranty work done, other than we weren't going to be first in line. that was fine, since i waited till the season was over and got free storage until they got to it.
one dealer that did the work, didn't even sell any FR products.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Had it happen with my last Keystone trailer that I purchased 500 miles away and same thing with my neighbour who had a FR trailer he didn't buy locally.

For me it was "you're gonna pay for the work and then YOU can submit the bill to Keystone for payment." The dealer had my trailer for 2 months before looking at it and then gave me a bill for $522.00 to adjust a slide under warranty. Keystone did reimburse me.

For my neighbour with the FR product... "you're gonna pay for the work and then you can submit the bill to FR for payment." He remembered my 2 month wait so he took the trailer home and fixed it himself out of pocket.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ CCLB DRW D/A - Transfer flow 40 gallon Toolbox/Tank Combo - Line X - Edge Insight

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, warranty