Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #11

November 3, 2011 Update

RV Dealers in Ontario should know and understand the certification requirements in Ontario with regards to the importation of all types of RV's.

In this Province there are 2 acceptable certification codes:

Canadian Standards Association - CSA Z240 Code
Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) - NFPA 1192 Code

However, both these codes are subject to the CSA Standards for Electrical and Propane (LPG). These are covered by CSA C22.1-09 Ontario Electrical Safety Code with label and CAN/CSA B149.2-05 Code Series as well as CAN/CSA B149.1-05 Code Series for Propane Storage, Handling and Installation. This applies to any person, company or Industry importing RV's into this Province.

The RVIA codes do not comply with the Standards Council of Canada therefore; electrical inspections must be performed by an Electrical Safety Inspector and have applied an orange ESA sticker on the electrical panel or inside the door. Propane inspections must be performed by a certified RV-1 TSSA (Technical Standards & Safety Authority) Propane Technician and be tagged appropriately. (Usually on one of the appliances) THIS IS THE LAW.

Recreation Vehicle Dealers are advised that any type of repair or warranty work should not be performed until such time as these inspections are performed. There is a potential liability involved here.

Likewise, RV's not up to code should not be taken in on trade or sold without an ESA or LPG inspection.

For more information and clarification please refer these websites:

The Hitch House (Why Buy from a Canadian Dealer)
Canadian Standards Association (CSA) www.csa.ca
Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) www.esasafe.com
Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) www.tssa.org

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Scotsman

Thanks for the input. If I can't this straightened out I might have to wait till we get back down south in the Fall to get it worked on. We'll have to pay for a service call from a mobile RV repair $60.00 then the rest is covered under warranty. Paying to have the trailer CSA inspected and the propane would end up being more than the $60.00. The dealers in the US have be to be more upfront with their info, especially when it comes to the warranty. Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #13

I would check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for fire damage if the unit is not CSA approved. If you have fire and they determine that the fire was caused by faulty wiring or gas fittings you might not be covered.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #14
DDC

Call Forest River and ask them where they want you to get the warranty work done, the dealer is talking through a _____ what if this was an American stuck with the same problem, the dealer would be ok working on a non csa unit then. Forest River warranties the unit and it is their job to find someone to do the work if you can't.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Call Forest River and ask them where they want you to get the warranty work done, the dealer is talking through a _____ what if this was an American stuck with the same problem, the dealer would be ok working on a non csa unit then. Forest River warranties the unit and it is their job to find someone to do the work if you can't.
Read my post 11 by law the dealer cannot work on the unit until it passes CSA approval. The trailer is registered in Ontario and must comply to Canadian laws. This is another reason why you should purchase from a local dealer.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Read my post 11 by law the dealer cannot work on the unit until it passes CSA approval. The trailer is registered in Ontario and must comply to Canadian laws. This is another reason why you should purchase from a local dealer.
I guess that we in Canada should in good conscious advise all of our American frog friends to stay out of Canada as our LAWS are not user friendly when it comes to having a breakdown with your RV.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #17

I would think TT registered and licensed in America would be exempt, it may be law for trailers registered in Canada. It would be interesting to find out. Hopefully not the hard way.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #18

Quote:
I guess that we in Canada should in good conscious advise all of our American frog friends to stay out of Canada as our LAWS are not user friendly when it comes to having a breakdown with your RV.
The trailer is registered in Ontario and is subject to Canadian laws. I would also want to know if my insurance would cover any damage that could be caused it not being CSA approved. I worked with a tool company and we had to meet a strict criteria to have a new tool pass CSA ratings. Also we imported tools from the US that were UL approved but would not meet CSA standards. We would often have to change switches or wire size to meet CSA standards.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Thanks for the input. If I can't this straightened out I might have to wait till we get back down south in the Fall to get it worked on. We'll have to pay for a service call from a mobile RV repair $60.00 then the rest is covered under warranty. Paying to have the trailer CSA inspected and the propane would end up being more than the $60.00. The dealers in the US have be to be more upfront with their info, especially when it comes to the warranty. Thanks again.
Mind sharing the dealer that supplied the wrong information so others know what to ask prior to purchase?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I would think TT registered and licensed in America would be exempt, it may be law for trailers registered in Canada. It would be interesting to find out. Hopefully not the hard way.
I do not think it is an issue. They will service your Chevy or Ford even though it doesn't meet Canadian DOT standards for daytime running lights. Same rule would apply to Trailers so don't worry.

I think the OP has dealers that just won't service it because he bought in the US to save money.

Tags
canada, warranty