Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #21
Canadian Member

My previous Roo was purchased by the first owner from RVW. I don't recall if it had a CSA sticker though. Both McKenzie Trailers in Gormley and Campkins north of Whitby worked on it with no problems. This sounds strange. Before the exchange rate went south people imported from the USA regularly. Can you order an RV from a US dealer with Canadian certifications like CSA?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
The trailer is registered in Ontario and is subject to Canadian laws.
I may have missed it but why is MTO allowing a vehicle that lacks this so-called certification to be registered?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #23

MTO deals with items that meet the requirements of being safe on the road. CSA deals with the electrical and gas side of the unit. Just think of it this way does MTO care what you have in your home? But all electrical and gas items must meet CSA requirements.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #24
Just a member

Quote:
MTO deals with items that meet the requirements of being safe on the road. CSA deals with the electrical and gas side of the unit. Just think of it this way does MTO care what you have in your home? But all electrical and gas items must meet CSA requirements.
Parts of the RV's electrical system are required to operate/tow the vehicle on the road. Most RV's are designed to allow a LP reefer to be operated while on the road and therefore the gas system would be on. You're implying that MTO doesn't concern itself with those details?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Parts of the RV's electrical system are required to operate/tow the vehicle on the road. Most RV's are designed to allow a LP reefer to be operated while on the road and therefore the gas system would be on. You're implying that MTO doesn't concern itself with those details?
If you look up the towing laws for most provinces open propane tanks are not allowed when traveling on the highway. MTO is only concerned with the brakes, lights, safety chains and condition of the tires. The rules for MTO is the same if you have a flat bed trailer or a TT. CSA is a separate set of rules. CSA rules do not apply to 12 volt systems. If you purchase a cordless drill the drill does not have to be CSA approved but the charger would. If you purchase a TT from the US you can have the dealer order the trailer with the CSA approval. This is an option that cost hundreds of dollars. As I stated earlier MTO is not concerned with the appliances. The MTO requirements and CSA are two separate and different requirements.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Can you order an RV from a US dealer with Canadian certifications like CSA?
Quote:
If you purchase a TT from the US you can have the dealer order the trailer with the CSA approval. This is an option that cost hundreds of dollars.

Yes. On a Rockwood order form its listed as an option as "Canadian Coding" and its $394 (MSRP). There must be something to it more than slapping on a sticker, because its listed for more $ than Stainless appliances @ $290, Slide Topper @ $363, and quite a few others.

The same question has came up in other forums in the past a bunch of times. What I have read also indicates its required to have it to be registered in Canada, I'm not sure if that's nationwide or a provincial requirement.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to B and B
CSA is required for sale in all of Canada. Have a look at a on line stores for many trailer dealers for Surge Suppressors. Many are not CSA approved yet people import them personally and use them. I did question a dealer selling non approved items and he just shrugged his shoulders.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #28
DDC

I ordered a new Silverback and had the dealer in Canada match the US pricing, now I have to pay in actual US dollars but I had a choice of getting it with or without CSA, I did add the CSA because this will be my last trailer and I figured it would be easier for my kids to sell it with the CSA sticker. I asked what the difference was and was told that the plumbing is different the electrical (120) is different, still get the same tyres though funny how they are perfectly acceptable and yet we all fear them.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #29

I guess when one is importing an RV from the US, you want to ensure it's CSA approved, if possible.

As I recall, our sales sheet indicated CSA approved as a mandatory option........no sure if its available on a trailer that are destined for new sale the US.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Here is a question for Canadian owners who are looking to get warranty work done on their US bought trailer in Canada. Just got off the phone with the manager of our local RV Center that sell Forest River Trailers. I was looking to get some warranty work done on our bedroom slide out in our 5th wheel. I was asked if the trailer was CSA approved and propane certified. The trailer is registered in Ontario. She can not legally do any work on the trailer unless it has the for mentioned approvals. Even thought the slide out is not electrical she still could not any work on it. This was never mentioned by anyone when we bought the trailer. Has anyone dealt with this issue and what happened in your case. I can't believe that they will register the trailer but then throw this issue back at us that it needs more certifications. Help!
If the trailer or motor home was registered in Canada anyplace you have the warranty transferred called IRV had to issue a a sticker. All it is is a sticker saying it is complaint with Canadian CSA. You cannot import any trailer or motor home with out this sticker and approved for licensing. Ones that done you have the full warranty transferred to Canada.
I hope this help you
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Read my post 11 by law the dealer cannot work on the unit until it passes CSA approval. The trailer is registered in Ontario and must comply to Canadian laws. This is another reason why you should purchase from a local dealer.
Not true! We have an MH we purchased it in Texas for lot cheaper then a Canadian dealers. We had done the proper form of importing the unit and paid the taxes . Also transferred all warranties to Canada. If you have registered all this through RIV you will be granted to have a licenses plate and fully registered as a Canadian TT or MH. You should not have any problem with the warranty work. We didn't and also we had safety recalls we were covered for. This was sent to us by mail and no charge at all.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I do not think it is an issue. They will service your Chevy or Ford even though it doesn't meet Canadian DOT standards for daytime running lights. Same rule would apply to Trailers so don't worry.

I think the OP has dealers that just won't service it because he bought in the US to save money.
X2 The dealers here are stiller I call them. They want to make a lot of profit.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #33
Just a member

Quote:
If you look up the towing laws for most provinces open propane tanks are not allowed when traveling on the highway.
Propane industry proponents and fire safety officials would like us to believe that. In fact, many (most?) provinces have no regulations restricting the use of propane appliances (fridge) while traveling. Some have been pondering the issue for a number of yrs and some specify that propane tanks have OPD and flow check valves.

Quote:
CSA is a separate set of rules.
CSA is a standards organization. They don't make rules. That's up to the Federal and/or respective Provincial governments. That's why I will continue to maintain that MTO dropped the ball in this instance.

Cheers

Old 04-14-2016, 01:07 AM   #34
Just a member

Quote:
This is not a propane company and if you read the whole item you will see that propane tanks are to be in the off position while driving on highways in most Canadian Provinces.
Caught your post before it was deleted.

I counted two provinces (MB and NS) that supposedly had regulations prohibiting RV travel with propane turned on. I suspect that Camping Canada's information is dated.

The Recreational Vehicle Dealers Association of Canada appears to have more recent details. Or we could just troll the respective Province's motor vehicle legislation.

RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations

Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #35

I deleted item because it was an older form trying to find the more up to date. BC also has a law that states propane tanks are to be off on highways. When I find the newer version will post.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #36
Just a member

Quote:
I deleted item because it was an older form trying to find the more up to date. BC also has a law that states propane tanks are to be off on highways. When I find the newer version will post.
Speaking of Super Natural Bring Cash, their DriveSmartBC site contends that Federal TDG regs prohibit RVs from traveling with the gas turned on. That is not correct. RV's, generally, are exempt from TDG regulations.

Operating RV's with Propane On | DriveSmartBC

Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #37
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
CSA is a standards organization. They don't make rules. That's up to the Federal and/or respective Provincial governments.
This is correct but it's semantics. Governments put compliance with some CSA standards in their regulations so in effect the standard becomes the law. In other cases a CSA standard may not be in law but it is a procurement requirement.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, warranty