Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Scotsman

Warranty Work In Canada

Here is a question for Canadian owners who are looking to get warranty work done on their US bought trailer in Canada. Just got off the phone with the manager of our local RV Center that sell Forest River Trailers. I was looking to get some warranty work done on our bedroom slide out in our 5th wheel. I was asked if the trailer was CSA approved and propane certified. The trailer is registered in Ontario. She can not legally do any work on the trailer unless it has the for mentioned approvals. Even thought the slide out is not electrical she still could not any work on it. This was never mentioned by anyone when we bought the trailer. Has anyone dealt with this issue and what happened in your case. I can't believe that they will register the trailer but then throw this issue back at us that it needs more certifications. Help!

Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

hi, had this exact same conversation with a dealer in Southern Ontario the morning. luckily my trailer is certified. if it is not certified the dealer can have it certified for CSA. Mine was certified by QAI to CSA Z240 RV Series.

Adventure RV in Waterford can help you

Thansk

Old 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Sorry I see your from Kempville, Ottawa area I believe, a bit far to take it to Waterford
Old 04-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

I stand to be corrected. Did you take the trailer to Canadian Tire to get it certified? I think they give you the stickers required upon their inspection.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Scotsman

We did get it certified at CTC. It was required to have it registered in Ontario. Does this mean that it is CSA approved? I think not. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Who was the dealer in the Kemptville area? If it was Leisure days I would look for a different dealer. Check with FR and see if they will pay for an independent dealer to fix your unit (you might have to pay up front and have FR refund your money).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

the CSA sticker should be located left of the door. there should be a US sticker. "NFPA 1192 “Standard on Recreational Vehicles” and ANSI A119.5 “Standard for Recreational Park Trailers”
in the same area, just a FYI

Thanks
Old 04-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Scotsman

One dealer was on Bank St. Travel-Mor RV and another said the same thing, they were right beside the 417 HWY. That 2 places that said the same thing. Waiting to here from Canada Transport.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #9

CDN Tire is just a DOT inspection not a CSA Inspection. I guess buying in the US means that service must be performed in the US. There a chap on the forum who just bought a trailer at CDN dealer in US Dollars that is CSA approved.

Why don't you try DeeJay in Havelock they sell a lot of FR product. You are right CSA has nothing to do with a slide. In My mind CSA is not worth it, the trailer is not made any different, but like taxes we have it to deal with.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
One dealer was on Bank St. Travel-Mor RV and another said the same thing, they were right beside the 417 HWY. That 2 places that said the same thing. Waiting to here from Canada Transport.
CSA Is Canadian Standards Authority, You can get a Special K Ontario Hydro Inspection and find a gas fitter that builds construction trailers to get you a Gas Inspection. That should suffice the dealers needs.

Tags
canada, warranty