Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Scotsman

Warranty Work In Canada

Here is a question for Canadian owners who are looking to get warranty work done on their US bought trailer in Canada. Just got off the phone with the manager of our local RV Center that sell Forest River Trailers. I was looking to get some warranty work done on our bedroom slide out in our 5th wheel. I was asked if the trailer was CSA approved and propane certified. The trailer is registered in Ontario. She can not legally do any work on the trailer unless it has the for mentioned approvals. Even thought the slide out is not electrical she still could not any work on it. This was never mentioned by anyone when we bought the trailer. Has anyone dealt with this issue and what happened in your case. I can't believe that they will register the trailer but then throw this issue back at us that it needs more certifications. Help!
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

hi, had this exact same conversation with a dealer in Southern Ontario the morning. luckily my trailer is certified. if it is not certified the dealer can have it certified for CSA. Mine was certified by QAI to CSA Z240 RV Series.

Adventure RV in Waterford can help you

Thansk
Funbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Sorry I see your from Kempville, Ottawa area I believe, a bit far to take it to Waterford
Old 04-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

I stand to be corrected. Did you take the trailer to Canadian Tire to get it certified? I think they give you the stickers required upon their inspection.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Scotsman

We did get it certified at CTC. It was required to have it registered in Ontario. Does this mean that it is CSA approved? I think not. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #6

Who was the dealer in the Kemptville area? If it was Leisure days I would look for a different dealer. Check with FR and see if they will pay for an independent dealer to fix your unit (you might have to pay up front and have FR refund your money).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

the CSA sticker should be located left of the door. there should be a US sticker. "NFPA 1192 “Standard on Recreational Vehicles” and ANSI A119.5 “Standard for Recreational Park Trailers”
in the same area, just a FYI

Thanks
Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Scotsman

One dealer was on Bank St. Travel-Mor RV and another said the same thing, they were right beside the 417 HWY. That 2 places that said the same thing. Waiting to here from Canada Transport.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
CDN Tire is just a DOT inspection not a CSA Inspection. I guess buying in the US means that service must be performed in the US. There a chap on the forum who just bought a trailer at CDN dealer in US Dollars that is CSA approved.

Why don't you try DeeJay in Havelock they sell a lot of FR product. You are right CSA has nothing to do with a slide. In My mind CSA is not worth it, the trailer is not made any different, but like taxes we have it to deal with.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
One dealer was on Bank St. Travel-Mor RV and another said the same thing, they were right beside the 417 HWY. That 2 places that said the same thing. Waiting to here from Canada Transport.
CSA Is Canadian Standards Authority, You can get a Special K Ontario Hydro Inspection and find a gas fitter that builds construction trailers to get you a Gas Inspection. That should suffice the dealers needs.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

November 3, 2011 Update

RV Dealers in Ontario should know and understand the certification requirements in Ontario with regards to the importation of all types of RV's.

In this Province there are 2 acceptable certification codes:

Canadian Standards Association - CSA Z240 Code
Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) - NFPA 1192 Code

However, both these codes are subject to the CSA Standards for Electrical and Propane (LPG). These are covered by CSA C22.1-09 Ontario Electrical Safety Code with label and CAN/CSA B149.2-05 Code Series as well as CAN/CSA B149.1-05 Code Series for Propane Storage, Handling and Installation. This applies to any person, company or Industry importing RV's into this Province.

The RVIA codes do not comply with the Standards Council of Canada therefore; electrical inspections must be performed by an Electrical Safety Inspector and have applied an orange ESA sticker on the electrical panel or inside the door. Propane inspections must be performed by a certified RV-1 TSSA (Technical Standards & Safety Authority) Propane Technician and be tagged appropriately. (Usually on one of the appliances) THIS IS THE LAW.

Recreation Vehicle Dealers are advised that any type of repair or warranty work should not be performed until such time as these inspections are performed. There is a potential liability involved here.

Likewise, RV's not up to code should not be taken in on trade or sold without an ESA or LPG inspection.

For more information and clarification please refer these websites:

The Hitch House (Why Buy from a Canadian Dealer)
Canadian Standards Association (CSA) www.csa.ca
Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) www.esasafe.com
Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) www.tssa.org
Old 04-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #12
Scotsman

Thanks for the input. If I can't this straightened out I might have to wait till we get back down south in the Fall to get it worked on. We'll have to pay for a service call from a mobile RV repair $60.00 then the rest is covered under warranty. Paying to have the trailer CSA inspected and the propane would end up being more than the $60.00. The dealers in the US have be to be more upfront with their info, especially when it comes to the warranty. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #13

I would check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for fire damage if the unit is not CSA approved. If you have fire and they determine that the fire was caused by faulty wiring or gas fittings you might not be covered.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #14
DDC

Call Forest River and ask them where they want you to get the warranty work done, the dealer is talking through a _____ what if this was an American stuck with the same problem, the dealer would be ok working on a non csa unit then. Forest River warranties the unit and it is their job to find someone to do the work if you can't.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Call Forest River and ask them where they want you to get the warranty work done, the dealer is talking through a _____ what if this was an American stuck with the same problem, the dealer would be ok working on a non csa unit then. Forest River warranties the unit and it is their job to find someone to do the work if you can't.
Read my post 11 by law the dealer cannot work on the unit until it passes CSA approval. The trailer is registered in Ontario and must comply to Canadian laws. This is another reason why you should purchase from a local dealer.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Read my post 11 by law the dealer cannot work on the unit until it passes CSA approval. The trailer is registered in Ontario and must comply to Canadian laws. This is another reason why you should purchase from a local dealer.
I guess that we in Canada should in good conscious advise all of our American frog friends to stay out of Canada as our LAWS are not user friendly when it comes to having a breakdown with your RV.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #17

I would think TT registered and licensed in America would be exempt, it may be law for trailers registered in Canada. It would be interesting to find out. Hopefully not the hard way.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

Quote:
I guess that we in Canada should in good conscious advise all of our American frog friends to stay out of Canada as our LAWS are not user friendly when it comes to having a breakdown with your RV.
The trailer is registered in Ontario and is subject to Canadian laws. I would also want to know if my insurance would cover any damage that could be caused it not being CSA approved. I worked with a tool company and we had to meet a strict criteria to have a new tool pass CSA ratings. Also we imported tools from the US that were UL approved but would not meet CSA standards. We would often have to change switches or wire size to meet CSA standards.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Thanks for the input. If I can't this straightened out I might have to wait till we get back down south in the Fall to get it worked on. We'll have to pay for a service call from a mobile RV repair $60.00 then the rest is covered under warranty. Paying to have the trailer CSA inspected and the propane would end up being more than the $60.00. The dealers in the US have be to be more upfront with their info, especially when it comes to the warranty. Thanks again.
Mind sharing the dealer that supplied the wrong information so others know what to ask prior to purchase?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I would think TT registered and licensed in America would be exempt, it may be law for trailers registered in Canada. It would be interesting to find out. Hopefully not the hard way.
I do not think it is an issue. They will service your Chevy or Ford even though it doesn't meet Canadian DOT standards for daytime running lights. Same rule would apply to Trailers so don't worry.

I think the OP has dealers that just won't service it because he bought in the US to save money.

Tags
canada, warranty