Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Water damage - Rear wall

I have a Rockwood 8289WS FW and was replacing the broken electrical outlet in the rear corner next to one of the recliners. My DW noticed some bulging along the rear wall right below the left corner of the rear window. Upon further inspection, I found there is some bulging from what I guess is the insulation expanding behind the panelling. I also checked above the window under the valance and found the same bulging in the upper left corner. Now I know this probably eliminates the possibility of a leak around the window and is more likely from water getting in from where the ladder attaches to the roof or from where the fiberglass meets the roof.

My question is this. Is there away to smooth those bulges out, without having the wall replaced?
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the club.. you've got delamination going on there.

You more than likely have a water leak of some kind there. You'll want to find that before attempting any other repairs.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

A method you may wish to consider is to remove the interior wall. Next, remove all insulation. In the square areas between framing, cut 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood to fit into all of those square or rectangular holes between the framing. Adhere each custom fit cut plywood rectangle to exterior wall and framing with adhesive (liquid nails) and using nail gun or staple gun. Use external pressure against delaminated areas to press them back in for at last 24 hours.

Reinstall in reverse, reglue interior wall or install a new one. Some folks use shower wall material to do for new interior wall and pain to match.

As long as there isn't a lot of wood rot, this method works very well and is cheaper and easier then replacing an exterior wall.

Good luck!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Is that problem near your fresh water tank inlet? I had that problem and it turned out the check valve in my water pump was letting campground pressurized water into my fresh water tank. It would overfill and leak into the trailer wall ultimately flooding the floor.
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water