Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Water Heater

We just picked up our Rockwood Ulta Lite today and had the demo. I am pretty good with most of the instructions...they need to make a dvd of the training....but I am confused about using the hot water heater. I know you can use gas or electric, and I prefer electric, but I am not sure what to set inside and out to set it to electric.

Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
There should be a switch on the outside bottom left. That is the electric switch. Just make sure tank is full first.

TV: 2007 GMC 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L
Brake Controller: Tekonsha P3
Hitch: Equal-i-zer 4 point wd/sway control
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
without knowing the brand of WH or the model of Rockwood you have, can't say for sure.

but most FR products have a Suburban WH, that has an electric toggle switch with a cotter pin through it, located outside of the trailer behind the cover that vents the WH area.
you have to pull the key to turn on the electric heating rod.
doing this without water in the WH, will quickly burn it out.
never turn it on without making sure you have water in the WH.
using electric will take longer to heat the water, than using the propane. a lot of us will make sure there's water in the WH, then heat it with propane first and then maintain it with the electric.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
The electric toggle switch on the outside of the water heater is well hidden behind the gas lines. You also have to make sure the water heater breaker is on in your power center.

The toggle switch on on the wall or cabinet with the reset light beside of it on the inside of your camper is for gas operation only. Gas and electric are entire different can work either independently, or you can run both at the same time.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Length of time to heat with electric is longer than with gas but not all that long. I would guess about an hour. Chances are it will be hot before you actually need it for anything much. My motto is: Use their electricity, not your gas.
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Yes, my plan is to use their electricity...much appreciated.
Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
I had this same question when we got our Windjammer. The most important thing is to make sure you have water in the hot water heater first. There is a valve on the heater that you can check to see if you have water in it. To use electric, just flip on the rocker switch which is tucked in pretty tight behind the workings of the hot water heater. This is all in the vented panel on the outside of your trailer. I usually fire mine up on gas and then switch it off and maintain with electric. There is a rocker switch on my control panel just inside the door which also has switches for slides, awnings, outside lights. I have the DW flip the gas switch on while I make sure the pilot light comes on. I'll let it run while I put the slides out, set up camp, etc. and then cut the switch off and let electric take over.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
I had the same issue with my new 8312ss. The propane burner wouldn't light, kept flashing off and little did I know that there was an electric heater, would have been nice to know. The dealer did a poor job of explaining when we did the walkthrough.
thefeniuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
On newer models like mine regardless of what position the outside switch is in there's an additional switch in the camper that runs the electric side of the hot water heater. Both can be on at the same time to speed up the heating.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
We took our 2012 Shamrock on a shakedown trip. Ran the Suburban 6 gal. gas/elec. water heater for a couple of days without issues. Third evening while sitting at the inside table, the water heater caused a small explosion while igniting. About 15-30 min. later, a second small explosion while igniting. Next morning a 3rd bigger explosion while igniting. I switched to elec. and no problems. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a new water heater and trailer?

HandymanCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote