Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Water Heater By-Pass

I feel like a bit of a numb skull for asking this question. Our travels with our recently purchased 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite model 8244 are done for the year and we're in the process of winterizing it. I can't find where to access the water heater by-pass. It has to be very near the water heater but there seems to be no way to access it.

I'm obviously missing something and I'm sure all of you know just how to access it.

Thanks in advance!
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

While you wait for a better answer, I'd look under the sink if I were you. Are there any acess panels to get under the sink or maybe a silverware drawer than can be pulled out? Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
While you wait for a better answer, I'd look under the sink if I were you. Are there any acess panels to get under the sink or maybe a silverware drawer than can be pulled out? Hope that helps.
There are no removable panels. I can't figure out how to get the drawers out of their slide rails. However, I can see behind all 3 of the drawers under the sink and there is no sign of any water lines and that area is a good distance from the rear side of the water heater.

I called Forest River and the tech person that I talked to couldn't give me a definitive answer. All he said was the by-pass valves had to be very near the backside of the water heater which I knew was the case. Directly behind the water heater is the AC breaker panel and the 12 volt fuse panel and small wood panels that have no visible way to be removed.

I was a bit taken aback by the gentleman at the factory not having any precise reference as to access the by-pass.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
There are no removable panels. I can't figure out how to get the drawers out of their slide rails. However, I can see behind all 3 of the drawers under the sink and there is no sign of any water lines and that area is a good distance from the rear side of the water heater.

I called Forest River and the tech person that I talked to couldn't give me a definitive answer. All he said was the by-pass valves had to be very near the backside of the water heater which I knew was the case. Directly behind the water heater is the AC breaker panel and the 12 volt fuse panel and small wood panels that have no visible way to be removed.

I was a bit taken aback by the gentleman at the factory not having any precise reference as to access the by-pass.
I suggest you contact Rockwood instead of the FR corporate office.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Wow, I just looked up a video of your model and the floorplan. I see where the bypass lines should be, but I don't see any good way to get to them.

The WH is just to the right of the door. But the sink comes out pretty far from the wall and the stove is right next to it.

What's on the other side of the sink? Basically to your right as you walk in the door?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #6

FINALLY found it!! 2 drawers directly under the sink have to be removed to access the by-pass valves. It's almost impossible to see the valves from the drawer openings, but they're there. Trying to avoid belaboring the topic but had they only allowed a panel to be removed on the backside of the first cabinet located on the floor next to the walk-in door it would be MUCH easier to access. But that was not for me to decide.

Thanks for all who took the time to try and help me out!

Tags
heater, water, water heater